1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Support your Grey Wardens! [Warning: Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by CelticDream, May 31, 2010.

1. CelticDream

CelticDream I play well with others... others, not you Veteran

Media:
    I'm sitting here, coming up on yet another landsmeet, and was wondering if anyone has tried getting support for the Grey Wardens without having Anora's support. This time around I really don't want to tell her that "Yes, I'll support you" and then turn around and not support her... but yet I don't want her to become queen and depose Alistair... (I've only made her queen twice, and to be honest, I hate that power-hungry, snobbish woman - not to mention, the cutscene with her rallying support for the troops sounds so stilted when she does it than when Alistair does it).

2. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    That's my preferred way of crowning Alistair actually. It's quite doable, if you get the Nobles on your side and say the right things at the Landsmeet.

(Hmm... come to think of it, I don't think I've actually lied to Anora so far. *makes a mental note*)

3. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    My preferred way is for Alister and Anora to rule together. Alister makes a good public display, but he needs help. Anora was there for Cailan; no reason she can't do equally well for Alister.

4. CelticDream

Media:
    Well if you ever play a human male noble (if you haven't already) you can marry Anora yourself :D

Me, I can't stand Anora. Her attitude in regards to the crown just irks me. Besides, I usually play females and every so often one of them is romancing Alistair (this one happens to be one of them) so of course I want to see him take the throne, and preferably not be married to Anora in the process lol.

5. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I played as a male noble on my first runthrough. I'm pretty sure that time I had Alister rule alone, as I hadn't "hardened" him earlier in the game, and therefore couldn't get them to rule together. I didn't want to take the throne from Alister, since I felt it was more rightfully his, than it was mine (regarding your comment about "pup" marrying Anora).

I might have to try playing as a female at some point, to see what the Alister romance is like. Romancing Alister seems a little odd to me (being that I'm a straight male), but on the other hand, I suppose it's no different than romancing Anomen (from BG2), which I have done a couple of times.

6. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Anora is as bad as they get. My evil character tend to like her for this very reason. ;)

7. Marceror

Media:
    Why is she bad? Granted, she seems a tad power hungry, but then again, so are most powerful people. Having someone in power who actually wants to be in power isn't necessarily a bad thing.

If there is a darker side to Anora, I have yet to find it myself.

8. Caradhras

Media:
    Killing off Alistair and manipulating the Grey Warden isn't enough for you? Talk to Loghain, he'll fill you in. ;)

9. Loreseeker

Media:
    I don't think I could ever play out the Alistair and Anora marrying option. You really shouldn't marry the widow of your brother, imo.

10. Marceror

Media:
    Alistair has never been killed by Anora in any of my games, nor would I ever allow it. I don't get many opportunities to speak with Loghain, since he always seems to die. If I could keep both Alistair and Loghain I likely would, but since I can't, there's no way I'd say goodbye to Alistair in favor of a psychopath like Loghain.

11. Loreseeker

Media:
    It depends on the Warden, really. While most of mine keep Alistair with them (and die) - since sending a friend to die for them simply isn't an option, hiring Loghain is a viable option as well.

A pragmatic, cynical individual would have absolutely no issues with marching Loghain off to get killed and fix the mess he caused and insuring that at least one less good person dies in the Blight, since those at Ostagar can't be brought back, no matter what. Sure, Alistair walks away, but he lives. What he thinks really doesn't matter on the big scale of things.
    Rather cold, but tactically sound, imo. Keeping those entrusted to you safe is what being a Commander should be about.

12. Caradhras

Media:
    Henry VIII? :p

Quite right.

If you let her do as she pleases, she will have Alistair executed and will let her father go through the Joining (meaning there is a chance he would die).

You may have the wrong idea about Loghain. He probably has more in common with Macbeth than Richard III (the name of his titles also point in the direction of the Scottish play).

Anora is probably worse because she accuses her father for what he has done while at the time showing that she can be as bad as he ever was (Loghain abandoned Cailan, he didn't kill him although he was responsible for his death whereas Anora decrees that Alistair should be executed).

She has no qualms about doing anything to complete her objectives. She is definitely the most Machiavellian character in the game (with Prince Bhelen of course -I like Anora and Bhelen by the way, they are great characters).

13. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I was really annoyed at the game when this happened. My initial agreement with Anora was that she'd marry Alistair and I'd support her. I ended up having him fight Loghain, since he was my best developed and well equipped fighter. He kills Loghain and I don't get a chance to interfere, then Anora decides she won't marry her father's killer (she had no trouble supporting her husband's killer though, the hypocritical you-know-what). So I said fine, I'm supporting Alistair instead. She goes all "you liar you betrayer" and I never get a chance to say "sorry, I'm not the one who backed out of the agreement". That really pissed me off. Then to top things off Alistair barges in and complains about having been made king, even though he had already previously agreed to it...

14. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't think so. Loghain didn't merely allow Cailan (and everyone else) to die at Ostagar, he engineered every non-darkspawn problem that you face until after the Landsmeet with the exception of the Brecilian forest.

15. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I romanced Alister with my Elf Female mage and he dumps you if you make him take the thrown because you are elf and not human.

I don't know if he would dump a dwarf or a human PC. I haven't tried it yet. That is my goal with my female human PC I am playing through right now with.

16. Caradhras

Media:
    Macbeth Act III sc 4: "I am in blood Stepp'd in so far, that, should I wade no more, Returning were as tedious as go o'er." :)

Or in other words, once you're set on a course of action you have no choice but to see it through.

17. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Eh? How does that make Loghain "better" than Anora?

And Macbeth was a psychopath, just as Loghin was :)

18. Caradhras

Media:
    Anora is probably even more self-centred than her father. It's all a matter of opinion. ;)

19. CelticDream

Media:
    My last PC was a Dalish Elf who romanced him. If you harden him before the Landsmeet and later on choose the option, when he tries to break things off, that a king can do whatever he wants to do, your female PC basically ends up as his mistress since he can't marry her, if she's not a human.

20. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Good points.

He is rather POed at you for getting Loghain killed and an amount of hero worship. Is there a way to help him get over it by pointing out that he is actually likely to be a good king and will also continue breathing for much longer thanks to your decisions?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.