1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Suggestions for ideal party

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Djieff, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Fighter/Druids are my fave in this game because of wild shape and physical resist items. I also like bards.

The question is do you mind if you level slowly or do you need power fast. I tend to be patient and wait for greater rewards later and accept being less powerfull now. If you want power quickly go for single and dual class characters. For the ultimate in power you would multiclass (in this game anyway) in my oppinion.

My choice party looks like this

Single class fighter type (paladin, fighter, or ranger) Pals give you some good immunities and with the expansion ok spellcasting especially healing. Ranger gives you druidic spellcasting and with the right items can attack just as much as a fighter can even while using a shield. Fighter do get grand mastery though I find that to be not that great but hey if you like it take it. I lean towards rang then pal to fighter.

Bard-they are fun have great style and make good leaders with their high cha. Also makes a good arcane usser for most of the game and their songs are amazing

Fighter/druid-good spelcaster but more importantly he is THE tank in the game. Can wear best armor/shield, wields decent weapons, can buff up really well, and with the right combo of items, spells, and water elemental form you can make your self practicly invulnerable for a short time though this wont happen till late game and into your second time using heart of fury mode if you so choose to do so.

ranger (fighter)/cleric- good cleric and ranger will give you druid spells but fighter is fine too.

fighter/thief- thieves are not as important as they are in BG2 but I cant live without them but the fighter levels help them a lot.

Fighter/mage/thief-I like this because it gives my mage something to do while not casting. since scrolls are so rare I give level dependent spells to my bard so that he can rip people and this guy gets the buff spels to make him a better archer/sneak attacker.

This party covers all the bases though its problem is that it is kinda slow in advancement so if you use it you will not level quickly though you dont need to as much because your flexibility in your characters gives you a lot of tacticle options (such as my fave bombarment since I have 5 spellcasters using all the long lasting offensive spells with entangle slow etc nasty)

I hope this posts is vague enough that I didnt spoil anything for you I think I did ok...

2. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

It might be true at the beginning, but as soon as fighters get grandmastery they have 1 full attack/round, +2 thac0 and +3 damage more than the ranger, even if you ignore the faster level progression. Haste even doubles the difference.

Because of 2 manual errors telling otherwise I chose a paladin over a pure fighter, who would have been far more destructive.

A ranger using a shield is even weaker than a paladin in a normal game imho.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.