1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

suggestions for a few good thieves?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by SlickRCBD, Jul 29, 2009.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm sick of Yoshimo and find Jan annoying. Not to mention that I'm pretty much stuck with that turnip-obsessed Gnome every time I play Throne of Bhaal.

Can I ask for some suggestions on a few good mods that let me pick up a less annoying thieving companion that can get me through both SoA and ToB?

The character needs to be a viable party thief. An assassin specialized in stealth & SETTING traps who tricks his way into the party will be used as a meat shield for traps.

I'm not saying I don't want assassins, just that they need to rely on items like Boots of Stealth and The Nights Gift and spend their points on opening locks, detecting & disarming traps, etc.

So, with all the NPC mods out there, can somebody suggest a few decent thieves to try? Single, multi, or dual, it's all good, so long as they dual TO thief (or kit) so they can continue to pick up skills. Somebody dualed TO an assassin from fighter or wizard would be cool, especially if they have enough wizard level to cast mislead.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  2. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Or you could use SK to edit a regular NPC so you won't skip all the banter. For instance Haerdalis could certainly work as a Swashbuckler.

3. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    You may want to just cheat and add one of the many thieves in the game that isn't normally a party member. Granted, if you still miss the banter then the suggestion to use SK to make a usual party member into a thief is quite worthwhile.

Otherwise there are a number of thieves mentioned via the Non Intended Party Members thread (part of the reason I put it up is for people to be able to add a new member/class to their party they feel better with for one reason or another) or just add someone you think is a thief (if I still missed him/her-in which case please feel free to mention it) and see if he/she is. But this is for those who won't miss the banter from 1 or 2 additional party members.

A different cheat is to boost Nalia's stats way up so that her fairly limited thieving skills work half the time (helps to use the right equipment but even then she isn't the best thief). This way you get something of a thief party member and the additional banter.

4. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    What's the point of cheating to take control of some random thief? You might as well just make one from scratch yourself then.

SlickRCBD likes this.
  5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I agree, which is why I asked for MODs with banters.

6. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    You wanted a thief in your party this is one way to get one. Don't have anything against making one myself but you may note that I first started using that cheat as such because the option where you make all of you party members (including your thief) didn't work for me.

What developed as a counter to a hinderance became more interesting and opened options for some people that they didn't realize they had (such as choosing not to kill a specific person in the game/having said person join your party).

And I have seen comments where someone has stated he really preferred not to kill a given character in the game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.