1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Suggestions for a $500 computer

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by SlickRCBD, Sep 4, 2018.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I might be shopping for a new computer, but due to only working temp since 2013 I haven't wanted to torture myself by keeping up with the latest developments.
    Any suggestions on a decent computer that I could use to play some of the latest games like that new Battletech game, and some games I've missed like Dragon Age 2 and later for less than $500?
    Something that will last me at least 5 years before I have to get a new computer?
    I shouldn't need a new monitor or other peripherals, just the CPU.

2. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'm pretty sure I could've run those games on my old PC from 2010 (AMD Phenom X4 950, Radeon HD5880). I've had that PC until earlier this year, I think it was a bit over 8 years old.

On the whole, many games are not that demanding anymore, nowadays, and you could expect just about anything to last you another 5 years. If you're not too demanding on having the highest graphics settings. Or unless you want to play the next Witcher game (or whatever else CD project is producing by then).

Do you want a pre-build PC, or will you order parts and assemble it yourself?

Graphics cards and memory has been pretty expensive the last half year, though it looks as though both are now slowly lowering in price to a more normal level. It pays to look around, especially for graphics cards (at least in the EU), because some of the prices for these cards are still significantly above their introduction prices.

The biggest performance increase is probably going to be an investment in an SSD, which will really reduce your loading times of anything that is installed on the SSD. For mass storage, you'll still want a normal HDD, which is much cheaper per GB than an SSD.

I don't have much in the way of specific recommendations, if it was prices in the EU, it would be easier for me to look something up for you.

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I can do either thing, I was looking for something I could go out and buy when I was stuck with only a Dell Optiplex GX110 (1ghz, 512MB, Win98SE/XP), but now that I got the Gateway Dx4200-UB001A at least partially functional I have the option of time.

Although Best Buy and Sam's have a "Dell Gaming Desktop" that looks really nice, but it is $850 or $900 I need to research it

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.