1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Stuff That Annoys You

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Barmy Army, Jul 8, 2008.

1. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

People who pull out of a store parking lot & block 2-3 lanes of traffic while waiting for someone to let them into the turn lane.

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If we are talking traffic I don't really care what other people do. The fact that they are out in traffic at the same time as me is enough to annoy me.

3. nunsbane

nunsbane

Mail-in rebates. Just give me the damn sale price...if I wanted to jump through hoops I would join the flippin' circus.

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I dislike people at work switching into a different language, like for example Turkish, as soon as others enter the room, or keep up their conversation in a foreign language. That's at least impolite.

Collaboration and cooperation require communication - requiring a common language. In Germany that would be German.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I would have thought that a country like Germany would have regulations about that, if not on a federal level then at least internally in any serious company... is the PC scare too great in Germany too to dare suggesting it to the management?

6. Ragusa

Media:
    So-so. Yes, there are regulations, and if malicious that can even constitute mobbing and justify an 'Abmahnung' (warning before getting fired). However, enforcing the law in such a way can easily be perceived as heavy handed. In company where I work this is handled relatively lax because boss wants a good working climate and thus builds on self-discipline and maturity. So far the theory, and it usually works with disciplined and mature people and generally it indeed does make for a good working climate.

But tell that spoiled little girls whose first job in life that is, and who use the money earned solely to buy shiny things, clothes and shoes: They give you that hurt-puppy-look, and that my boss apparently can't resist. Well, I can. Another team leader likes having them around because he finds them amusing and cute, he also speaks some Turkish. And, with a few notable exceptions, they do a reasonably good job, and we need them. From what I am told they talk about marriage, tv, manicure, hair, shopping, getting a sun tan and cosmetics. It is still annoying.

But then, maybe I can count myself happy that I only get half of it. And in the worst case: If I do want them to shut up I can reliably make them to.

The other silly thing is that they're all friends or cousins or some such, and the nine (!) of them form a pretty homogenic block. Before we had a large room, and there were days when six of them were merrily chatting. Now that was utterly annoying. Now we have split the crew up to work in several rooms with two of them at a maximum, which ameliorates the nuisance that they can be.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  7. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well, a lot of stuff annoys me. :)

- Techno. (Oh. My. God. Who invented this..... *NOISE*?)
    - Rap. (Yeah, you're a real tough gangbanger, now shut it)

Actually, most music that young people usually listen to annoys me. :D

- Young people.
    - People who butcher the English language (ebonics, l33t sp35k, etc.)
    - Double standards. (I can't be proud of being a straight, white european? :) )
    - Insects. (They seem to exist solely to annoy me. Sort of like teens. ;) )
    - People who try to force religion down your throat.

Feh, I'm the world's oldest grumpy 20-year old.

8. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ragusa - I work with dozens of Asians who are mainly from Vietnam...and they all take their break around the same time every night. I don't really mind their loud chatter...but it's annoying when they look at you (or someone else), pause, then one of them says something in their language and then everyone starts laughing. :skeptic:

I've got a solution to that often works. In a stern voice, just say, "Prove it." If they point to *any* religious text, just remind them that those texts have been rewritten by those who won wars in centuries past, and there's no way to prove 99% of what's contained in those texts. If all else fails, just tell them that any lie can be considered 'truth' if enough fools believe in it...but that might get you injured. Don’t' say I didn't warn you. :p :rolling:

9. martaug Gems: 23/31

Decados, what about the gym bunnies who prance around & want everyone to watch them as they don't workout, or even worse, ask you to explain the same exercise/piece of equipment for the third day in a row!!
    Geez, just go do the aerobics class & leave us alone.

Jesper898, i think you are turning into one of us, a curmudgeon - "a bad-tempered, difficult, cantankerous person." There are a lot of us on this board:)

10. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Speaking as a former missionary who always tried to be polite at the doors of the people I "cold called" (to use a business phrase) I've found that a simple "I'm not interested, thanks anyway, have a nice day" is the best response. I and most of my friends would say something like "OK, have a great day, perhaps another time!" and walk away.

Dirtbags who persist in pushing their religion (or anything else, for that matter) deserve scorn and derision, and IMHO do not qualify for further politeness once they have taken advantage of a person's attempt to be polite.

I tell telemarketers very nicely to have a nice day and hang right up on them -- I don't wait for their "permission" to hang up. I hate pushy telemarketers.

11. Ragusa

Media:
    LKD,
    I have worked as a telemarketer myself (inbound, luckily; the help-desk, sadly). When I get called today, I usually chase them off with a friendly 'Sorry, not interested.' because I remember how annoying unfriendly customers were. If they insist, I can line out to them the flaws in their sales pitch. That reliably drives them off.

Having said that, I always found Mormon missionaries to be friendly if earnest persons. Not at all pushy, much unlike Jehova's Witnesses.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  12. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    While I haven't had a problem with the latter, I know what you mean about the former. Not quite the type you mentioned, but I was in training yesterday and saw a group of lads who looked about a year or two younger than me evidently competing and showing off in front of each. You can imagine, I'm sure: putting on too much weight and having to throw their bodies into it to get the plates to move. Normally I wouldn't be too bothered by them so long as they aren't in the way, but while one of them was bench pressing, one of the others was pretending to drop a water bottle on him in an attempt to break his concentration- in the middle of the exercise! :toofar:

13. martaug Gems: 23/31

Or the ones you see come in & never do anything but benchpresses. No back or leg work, no core exercises just benching(and they wonder why they have little chicken legs:))

14. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    @ Jesper898 -
    ...and 20 years old would be...? :lol:

So I'm wondering, who do you consider to be old people?

15. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I like JW's they're fun to mess with. :evil: My old neighbors in California were JW's and they always came to our house to "save us from Mormonism" as one of them put it bluntly. My mom would tell me not to answer the door, but I liked talking to them...they get all excited with you show the slightest interest in anything they say, and then they somehow segway in to biblical story. :rolleyes: If a JW ever got too pushy, I would either mention that I love Xmas too much, or that I require frequent blood transfusions to stay alive....which usually got them to leave, I used to have a hard time slamming a door in someone's face, so I'd make them feel uncomfortable so they would voluntarily leave. :D :rolling:

16. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

That's a good thing. :p

Well, I'm young. I just don't like most young people. :p

17. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Hahaha :lol: OK, now that is a good one. I never thought about using that excuse.

I remember hearing somewhere (It might have been on the BOM - don't remember) that some guy used to get the JW's to help him clean his place by telling them that his father would come home and beat him if he didn't have the house clean. I don't know if that is true or not though.

18. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Frequent blood transfusions? Oh, that is GOOD! You are a vicious man, Kitrax.

I had a friend who told some fellows on his porch that he was a worshipper of Satan -- he asked them in to see his shrine. They declined. It's funny to talk about that but I'm kind of with Rags on this one -- I feel it's important to be polite to people -- they're either only doing their job or doing something they feel is right. Once they break the politeness barrier, though, it's game over.

19. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

An acquaintance once suggested looking at their brochure while they were there and coming to a really graphic picture from the Book of Revelation that they use as a scare tactic. You proudly show them the picture and claim it would make a *****in' tatoo...

20. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    People riding bikes on dual carriage ways should be shot!!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.