1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Students' Archthesis on Uni-Verse

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Loreseeker, May 24, 2008.

1. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Pharmaceutical Chemistry ( or Medicinal chemistry, not sure how it's called in your neighbourhood :) ). I'm actually required to write out all the drug formulas pertaining to the questions I get (it's an oral exam, btw) and then explain the stuff. Explaining the how and why, I can do - but useless waste of memory space for the formulae in the 21st century? That's so not fun.

2. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Ugh. Sounds pretty dreadful Lore. Good luck with the memorisation!

3. Loreseeker

Media:
    Heh, thanks Z. :) Luck is something I'll probably need - along with a spare brain after this one melts down into molecular goo :p .

4. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    So I got a C+ on an essay, and then the other day a A+ for another. Guess it kinda balances out.

5. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Course starts ext Monday!

6. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I need to finish my final thesis this week. After the defense, I won't be a student no more :(

Until next September muhaha

7. Loreseeker

Media:
    Postponing this exam (Pharmaceutical chemistry) has become a habit for me - a bad one, most likely. Still, I find it very difficult to focus on it - it requires little in the means of brain power, but a lot in the means of handling absurdity, useless info and needless memorisations... (Think trying to memorize user manuals for a few hundred medicines all stacked in piles according to their action, and with formulas attached.) I'm aware this could be a usual student rant on many exams, but I've never felt this way about any other subject, and I've taken and passed quite a few, some rather boring/needless.
    This one is... just absurd. Or maybe I'm too biased against it.

8. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Okay - exam coming on Thursday. I'm actually pretty prepared, which is a first for me.

Religious-wise, I'm more following the Tyrant Lord, but on a steadier pace. Take it slow; build your foundations. And actually study.

Also got an A for an essay, which is nice, but disappointing considering the time I had spent on it. If I merely wanted an A, I would have pulled it out of my arse.

9. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I would HATE to be the one marking your work...

10. Loreseeker

Media:
    The Lady is not dead.

Sloth rules supreme.

ION, Exam time fixed to January - I've actually gathered enough negative motivation to kick myself to studying... so I intend to take it and pass, even if a few bonfires are included.

11. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Got another essay back - this one got A+. Which is strange, because this one I DID pull out of my arse. Rushed it in five days, handed it in a day late, and I don't even remember what I wrote about now. Sometimes I surprise myself.

DM's Internal Results:
    Classics: B+, A
    History: A+, A+
    Japanese: 42.60/46

Bet you didn't know I'm a good student. :p

12. Loreseeker

Media:
    Got a 9 on a technology test (18.55/20).
    The worst bit is that I lost a whole point there (1.00) for not writing the results of two tasks in letters, although I had them written numerically and they were correct.
    Why is: "A is within allowed limits." more acceptable then "value of A < max allowed value"? Beats me.
    It's no big deal, since even 9 keeps me in the game for having part of the exam reduced.
    It's just... well the thing was rather obvious and the calculation correct.
    Note to Self: Write Conclusions in WORDS.

13. Vhailor

Vhailor Justice is not blind, for I am her eyes Veteran

Does anyone know a word you could write a three page paper on?

14. Loreseeker

Media:
    Vhailor: Etymology wise? Or in terms of meaning, as a topic?

15. Vhailor

Vhailor Justice is not blind, for I am her eyes Veteran

Both, the histoy and meaning; writing three pages on the topic.
    I have to write it this weekend.

16. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    The F word? :p

It's actually (probably) got a long and diverse history behind it...

17. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    What, 'Fail'? ;)

Actually, that wouldn't be a bad one, as you can easily find many, many examples. Plus, the history bit is easy- it seems to have always been involved with mankind!

18. Loreseeker

Media:
    Damn, I was offline all last weekend and it's definitelly too late now for the word thing.
    Anyway, for future such emergencies, I would go for word Tsar. Etymology alone is quite enchanting - it comes from Ceasar (as in Julius, later as title) through Greek or Gothic sources, on to the Slavic tribes, (getting changed all the way, of course) and eventually, like a whole new word, back to the west from Russia.
    I know it's too late to be of use, but maybe someone would like it.

19. Loreseeker

Media:
    Exam in a week. It's a rather big deal and I really should be focused on it... but I barely have the will to look at it. Antipathy will be the death of me. While I know I should be studying it all day long this week because I hate it, I find myself in a troubling limbo of glancing at it, browsing it and discarding it... Why couldn't it just be a little more logical and fun? What use is there in reciting 500 drug names and formulae? Why must I learn them by heart even for the lowest passing grade?
    I need to focus and pass it. :(
    The worst bit is that the people around me care about it more then me. I simply hate it.
    7-10 days left.

Just needed to get this off my chest. Sorry for rambling.

20. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Good luck to you, we all know the feeling if that's any consolation. You have to force yourself to study and not get distracted by anything else, because pretty much EVERYTHING else feels more pleasant than cramming. If you're studying, you might as well study hard enough to pass, otherwise there's not much point in even looking at the notes. ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.