1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Strange GPU issue (death throes?)

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Death Rabbit, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Also - regarding power, a question.

When I did my upgrade last year, I acquired:

Intel i5 760 2.80G Lynnfield Quadcore CPU
    ASUS P7P55D-E PRO P55 R Mobo
    4gb GSKILL RipJaw DDR3 RAM
    1Tb WD Caviar Black 6gb/s SATA HD

This, plus my 8800GTX card, ran without a hitch on my Antec Neo HE 500w PSU. I believe the 560Ti runs at or just shy of the power consumption of the rather large 8800GTX, but I'm not certain. Also, 500w is the minimum recommended PSU for the 560Ti, according to the specs on NewEgg. I think I'll still be fine, but can anyone verify this for me?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Should be OK. I have a dual core CPU, but I also have 5 HDDs and two video capture boards, which was the reason I got a 460 instead of the 560: I figured I was getting close :)

If you have the recommended minimum PSU (as long as it's a quality one that actually outputs to its spec like what you have) and pretty much have a generic setup like you do, I wouldn't worry.

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Thanks, BTA. I'm pretty minimalist when it comes to my PC. No extra drives, few peripherals, just clean and mean for gaming (which, thankfully, also makes it optimum for design work in Adobe Creative Suite).

You are my tech guru, as always. :thumb:

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    DR, if you go to iBUYPOWER, this system is similar to yours except for the video card. Switch the card to your 560, and a warning pops up in the upper left hand corner. Mousing over says you need at least 600W. Cyberpowerpc gives similar results. I don't know how reliable the "warning" is (they are in the sales business after all), but it's at least worth noting.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Those supposed calculators are always way off. I have a UPS that powers my system plus another older computer, my cable modem and my VOIP gateway, and it shows under 500W under load when I'm playing games with my 460. It shows about 350W when mostly idle.

I'm sure if I put my specs into one of those calculators it would say I need a 700W PSU :)

6. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Status report.

Well it came yesterday (always like Christmas when new computer hardware comes in the mail, in'nit?), and it's a beautiful card. I was surprised to find it's about 20% smaller than the 8800GTX. Started up like a dream, as you'd expect for brand new hardware.

The power source is perfectly sufficient. It does take 2 power connections, but I have them so no biggy. After install I had it on for about 5 hours straight with no hiccups of any kind. I think it's safe to say the I BUY POWER guys are just trying to upsell people with that calculator, as expected. :)

The overclocking software it comes with is very easy to use. This is probably very common these days, but I'm an OC novice so it's cool to me at least. I like that I can adjust the fan speed so easily. The card defaults at 900mhz, which is fine for now. When I pick up Crysis 2 or Rage, I'll probably start to experiment with the clocking. With the lifetime warranty I can feel a little more adventurous about letting the puppy off the chain.

As for noise - it's very quite. The default speed of the fan is 30%, and I cranked it up to 80% just to see what I was in for. You definitely notice a whirring sound, but it's not bad at all. This is partly due to my Antec Sonata case and that my tower is under my desk, but still. So while this may be a little louder than other cards, it's just as quiet as the last 3 cards I've had.

Thanks again to BTA, Taza, Merlinni, Chandos and Camel for the advice. You guys rock. And Splunge for the brief bit of buyer's remorse. :D

7. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Always nice to hear that hardware works. have fun.

8. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Using the overclocking software often invalidates warranty. Check the terms beforehand.

Also, you can run Crysis 2 near max settings with just the default clocks. It's not a super-intensive game like Crysis was.

9. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just doing my part to test BOM members' reactions to stress. :D

10. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I know one of them is in some way a front for nvidia. I really believe it is EVGA but I can be wrong. Any way if I life in the US I will absolutely go for EVGA.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.