1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Strange behaviour with the bard NPC?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Spikes, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Spikes Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I was finally able to buy NWN and both expansions after going to a few stores... I wanted Platinum but I got Gold and HotU.

Anyway.

I installed everything and patched it up to 1.66.

I started a new game from the start and decided to use the bard henchman (Shawgrym?).

I noticed a few strange things:

- From time to time, all her stats appears to be 8 and there is nothing in her skill tab when I examine her. If I change regions or if I save/reload they are back to normal.

- Since I'm playing a fighter, she get to open the locks. But from time to time, instead of unlocking a locked chest, she start to attack it. And I'm talking about normal chests here.

Happened to anyone else?

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hmm, that sounds a bit odd. I didn't realise that Sharwyn even had any lock picking skills. She has never opened any locks for me.

But I never kept her very long because I was never able to get much good use out of her because she used to keep charging into battle and getting killed too often.

I've never heard of her stats going to 8, though. That doesn't sound right.

3. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Yeah, Sharwyn's AI is bizarre, to say the least. She's easily the most annoying of the henchmen for getting herself killed - although that's probably got more to do with her atrocious AC and habit for lingering just a fraction too close to the front line. All henchmen AI is frustrating, expecially in the OC where you basically have no control over their actions, even down to getting them to switch from using a bow in melee combat! :shake: With a bard it's especially painful, as they generally require a degree of micromanagement to be successful, and there's just no way to do it in the OC.

The skills/stats thing is something I've observed, too, and not just with Sharwyn. I've also noticed Dorna display the same problem in SoU. And bashing chests is just the AI getting confused; generally, if a henchman can't pick a lock they're instructed to open they'll try and batter their way in. Sometimes, when asked to pick a non-existent lock they'll try to bash, too. Doesn't always happen, but it's yet another reason to keep all the commands hotkeyed, just in case they start doing something stupid.

For these reasons and more, I like to solo the OC whenever I've got a character that can hack it.

4. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The business with stats for henchmen appearing to be 8 happened to me, too (and not only in the OC). Must be some bug.

As a bard, Sharwyn should have some lockpicking skills. However, if the DC of the lock is too great (so there is no chance of success) she will try to bash the chest instead. Needless to say, you probably have a better chance of doing the job than her :)

You can also talk to her and tell her not to help with opening locks. But then you'll have to bash open all of them.

5. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

The all 8's thing is a bug that's been around forever. I guess 1.66 didn't fix it.

I'd recommend you download one of the improved henchmen AI scripts from nwvault.com. There are several. One is called Tony K's Improved AI or something like that. It vastly improves the crappy AI that henchmen have and lets you work with their inventory. Sharwyn will actually sing more than once a day thanks to the player community! Horay!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.