1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Stem cells...AGAIN!

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by RuneQuester, Apr 25, 2005.

1. archbishop Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

@ Tassadar: I was in metabolism research, if you want to call it that (not a lot of research mainly just analysis). I have gone back to school to get my Masters in Clinical Research and my Pharm D.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @ archbiship - what about using stem cells from fertility clinics? As I recall fertility clinics have thousands of embryos that are frozen that they can never and will never use. This is because they typically go out and fertilize about 20 of the woman's eggs because implantation has a relatively low chance of success (I've heard the estimates range from 10%-25%.) As such, they take a lot to have a good chance of getting one or two to implant properly. However, after the woman has a child or two, they often have embryos left over, and they don't want any more children. Since these will never be implanted to produce children, do you have a problem with using them (assuming they have an OK from the would-be parents)?

Presently, the only alternative to donating them for research is the trash bin AFAIK.

3. archbishop Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

@ Aldeth: If the embryos are not going to be part of the attempted pregnancy, then they should not be fertilized to begin with because they are simply ova when they are removed from the mother, which I must admit is an inexact process at the moment. So, winding up with many more ova than needed from overstimulating the woman's reproductive organs is all but expected. However if these ova will not be used, they should be discarded rather than fertilized with sperm and later discarded. Probably a fine line in most peoples' opinions, but that is where I draw mine.

4. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

To tackle the burning office question: Theologically, the right answer is to save the most potential lives (the cooler) you could, but that logic goes out the window when there's a crisis as you've described. Saving human lives, emotionally, would take a priority. One step further: Suppose that I had to choose between my son or a you, who idon't know, and unless we got to talking, I wouldn't know that. I'd save my son over the stranger as an emotional response.

I don't know what is meant by Stem cells. If these can be harvested from adults and from the after birth of children (umbilical cord and other things that would be thrown away), then by all means do this. But even though I have Tourette Syndrome and a family History for Parkinson's Disease, I wouldn't ask to be cured at the cost of taking the life of an innocent.

As for Organ donation, When I die, I no longer need my physical body, so by all means take my organs that others may have a second chance to live. I'll get a perfected body when I get ressurected anyway...

5. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Sorry to have another go at you, Gnarfflinger, it certainly isn't anything personal (well, it could become personal, if you were my type - but I prefer slim guys ;) ).

You say:

So you admit that the theological answer is not feasible. You admit that a life in potentia is not a person.

Why follow a religion that cannot provide feasible answers to life's crises?

6. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm a non-extremist ProLife Christian Protestant. Yes, I do not support tooling with the unborn. It gives me a "What you don't know can't hurt you"-feeling. The end is good, but the means are not. I have no difficulty with taking samples from adults, they can decide for their own. But young kids and the unborn should, imo, be left alone (not alone and seperated, but rather 'in piece' ;) ).

Exactly!

7. Gnarfflinger

It's not that it's not feasible (the question assumes that it is feasible to take the cooler instead of the child), it's just that in a crisis, the contents of the cooler don't necessary register. In panic and fear, we don't always do that which is theologically right.

BTW, Off topic, but how much weight would I have to lose? I'd like to get down to a 38 to 40 waist. I'm not going to be a little guy, but I would like to work down the gut...

8. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31

OK, so your answer is: "I'd grab the cooler, of course." Anything else is just avoiding a straight answer (e.g. "I would like to grab the cooler, but I might stumble on the stairs with all the contents spilled, so I better grab my son, because if I stumble he will just get a bruise but nothing more..."). Let's just assume that we don't panic but are rather cool-headed in spite of ourselves.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Yes, a straigt answer would be nice.

That would largely be based on how tall you are. Obviously you need to weigh less if you're 5'5" as opposed to 6'2",

10. Gnarfflinger

A cool head would see me telling the kid to run for it (he's 10 years old according to the scenario) while I get the cooler and get the hell out of there. The either/or is not a logical choice...

And I'm about 6'2" Size 12 feet, a big Frame (but still some gut to work off).

11. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31

Gnarfflinger. Please. The matter at hand is what we cunningly call a thought experiment. It is no use arguing about the shortcomings of the set-up, since it is only there in the first place to make a complex problem less abstract.

You've got the either/or choice, nothing else. It's besides the point to argue that this case would most probable not happen in reality. The question is - plain and simple -:

if you were given the choice between saving one and condemning the other (without any further explanation needed), what would you do?

If you try to wriggle around a clear answer then maybe it is because your religious world doesn't match with your emotional world? Just a question.

12. Gnarfflinger

Then by challenging the results, it complicates the thought experiment. In the crisis, the cooler wouldn't register. But also, introducing family into it muddies the water further. Like I told RuneQuester in the Religeon and Politics thread, I'd grab my son and forget even other people in the waiting room.

Our Emotional world complicates our lives, often distracting us from what we ought to be doing by our religeous beliefs. My religeon teaches that I should not be sexually involved outside of legal and lawful marriage. Emotions dictate that sex is desirable, and no thought is given to marital status. This already is a conflict. We live amidst conflict between what we want to do and what we ought to do...

Man did I ever get off topic...

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Gnarff,

Let's say the 10 year old is confined to a wheel chair, and because the building is on fire, the elevators aren't working. I suppose he could wheel himself to the stairwell and hope he doesn't break his neck in the process, but that doens't sound like a very good option B.

To answer your other question - to get down to a 40 inch waist and being about 6'2" tall, I'd imagine that you would still weigh at the very least 200 pounds. Possibly as high as 220 pounds.

14. Gnarfflinger

AFI: If he's in the wheel chair, and I could lift the cooler, I could put the cooler on the wheel chair with my son and rescue both. This also assumes that the cooler doesn't require electricty, and that with attention, My son could still escape.

With a 46 inch waist, I'm just shy of 300 pounds. I get estimated between 220 and 250. I doubt I'd get below 250...

15. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31

D: "You can choose between two options, A or B."
    G: "Right, I'll take C."
    D: "What? There's no C, just A or B!"
    G: "But C is more logical than either A or B."
    D: "Maybe, but this is not an exercise in logic. Please choose either A or B and explain your choice."
    G: "OK, then I opt for D.
    D: "D?! What the..."

Since you fail to make a stance for a clear choice on this matter, I assume we can read your answer as follows:

My believes tell me to choose the freezer and let the child die. I can't let the child die, however, since in spite of the doctrine of my church I feel that one living child is more important than thousands of "lives in potentia". Because I somehow suspect that the conglomerates of cells that may become human beings is not the same as an actual human being. Hence I try to do the sensible and rescue the child and at the same time to satisfy my need for straightening up my inconsistent believes by aha! and here goes: by not questioning my believes but rather by questioning the life that somehow doesn't wrap around my believes nicely anymore.

Do you understand? You are challenged with an inconsistency between life and belief - and your solution to the problem is to tell life that it has gotten it all wrong. Which seems to be the general idea of religious fundamentalists (broad generalization intended).

16. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

What? Where is this option C: "All of the above?"

17. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    "All of the above" is not an option. Then again, not answering the question at all clearly is an option.

18. Gnarfflinger

Darkthorne. I answered the question the first time before ripping it. The theologically right answer will be lost in the chaos of life...

That's where I answered the question. I'd have panicked and saved the child. When that answer wasn't good enough, then I started looking at alternatives. My whole point was that emotion clouds judgement. It wouldn't register what may have been in the cooler. For all I know, it could have been the doctor's lunch...

The conversation is more like this:

D: Which is it, A or B.
    G: A is right, but in the situation, I'd likely do B
    D: That's stupid.
    G: You want intelligence, C sounds smarter.
    D: But C is impossible.
    G: You never said that. How about D?
    D: You're an idiot...

19. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    All right. Settle down on both sides. It's a pretty weird thought-experiment to limit it the way you guys are and it will likely result in weird, but interesting, results.

Here's a question for you, Gnarfflinger: What if you take your emotion out of it? What if you don't panic, but, rather, have a cold decision to make. Let's say it's not your son, but some random child vs. the cooler and you know what's in the cooler. What do you do?

Obviously, you don't have to answer the question. However, limiting the arena to what I have described, could you really force yourself to take the cooler over the child? That's got to be a tough, tough, call.

20. Gnarfflinger

Again, I'd assume that the random child could escape on his own with a little guidance from me. I'd then risk my life for the cooler, assuming that a, it really is full of embryos (And I didn't grab the wrong one and save the doctor's lunch) and b, it can be removed safely from the building (not needing to stay plugged in).

If all three assumptions are allowed, then I can save them both, and thus have my original answer C. With a cool head in a crisis, I'd do every thing in my power to save both--even at the risk of my own life...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.