1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Stealing

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 1-4' started by Barmy Army, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Here's something I don't get in Morrowind:

When I paid a fine, the guard took stuff that I know I didn't steal, like Ebony armour that I got from raiders in some dwenmer ruins, a Daedric dagger that I got from the guild steward in Balmora for a successful quest...

2. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Now that's a glitch in Morrowind: when the guards take 'evidence' from you, they take any item of the same type as one you ever stole.

For example, in one of the Thieves' Guild quests, Big Helende asks you to steal a Grandmaster's Retort. (technically, she only wants you to give her the item - you could buy it legally if you really wanted). If you do steal such a retort from someone, from this point on, all "Grandmaster's Retort"s that you ever have in your inventory will be classified as 'stolen goods' when the guards frisk you over.

Note that this is only for the guards; I pilfered a daedra's heart from an alchemist's shelves, then later brought in a few plundered from the corpses of wandering ogrim to sell to the same alchemist and she never raised a hue and alarm. (I know I didn't include the 'stolen' heart, because I used that in potion making...it failed :( )

But if you ever want to 'take one for the team' and commit a minor crime, get 'spotted' for it, and just pay the fine, remember to drop everything you're carrying before a guard/ordinator reaches you. Oh, and if you're working for the Morag Tong, remember that presenting a writ falls under this classification, too. :(

I'd really like to get the enchanted item/learn the spell that allows guards to detect stolen goods from ages ago when speaking with a suspect about a recent (and unrelated) crime. :D

"Well, Knight Errant, sir, I was speaking with this Khajit about her striking down the noble Toris Saren, and as standard procedure I was frisking her for illegal goods (which strangely, she seemed to enjoy) and I discovered a blunt, iron dagger."

"Now I remembered Hrisskar Flat-Foot over in Seyda Neen raising a stink about losing such a dagger of a comarade's - he claimed someone else stole it out of the Customs & Excise office itself, not him losing it himself. And I realized that despite this all happening a year and a half ago, it could well be the missing item in question, so I confiscated it."

"Ah. Yessir - the diamonds were the same sort of thing; you remember Larrius Varro sending posts to all the other forts about Nalcarya of White Haven reporting two diamonds stolen from her shop right in front of her. And it WAS a Khajit she described to the Troopers..."

"Uh, nossir, the diamonds don't have 'Property of Nalcarya' engraved on them...y-yessir, I know that theft was reported nine months ago, but I just thought...yessir. Sorry, sir."

"Well, there was the two hundred pounds of ebony and dwemer armour and weapons the Khajit was carrying. Yessir, I know Imperial law makes it illegal for private citizens to possess any items of this sort, but in my three years posting here, I don't remember any reports of any such items being stolen, so I let her keep them."​

:)

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Nope. Not for the PC version, anyway. That dialog choice doesn't use the "find stolen stuff" script that the others do.

4. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Here's one, I swiped a Dwenmer Coherer for a thieves guild job, then found another in a Dwenmer ruin much later. I tried to sell that one to the merchant, and he reported me. I had to run like hell for Balmora (just get close enough and AI to the temple, ring of Khajit to get to the TG HQ)...

5. jaded empath Gems: 20/31

Veteran

That's weird - maybe I've got a mod running that intereferes with or alters that script. :confused: Ah well, I reloaded after that and pulled the 'I bare myself before justice' trick.

And that bit with the Coherer is exactly what I'm talking about, Gnarf. :heh:

6. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

i small tip, though very cheasy to all that have trouble with stealing, killing or largely any part of the game.

you can create a suit with 100% chameleon, you can NEVER be seen, not held account for your actions, and basicly do whatever the f... you want. creatures that can't see you can't do a damn thing about you.
    oh, and your sneak skill will rise insanely

to do this you need either a) be the archmage of the mages guild, or b) a mod that allows you to enchant items
    about 5 grand soul stones and 5 items pref. undestructible

7. jaded empath Gems: 20/31

Veteran

Yeah, did that with Salamis - harvested maybe ten golden saints into grand soul gems, collected a full suit of 'Exqusite' clothing - belt, shoes, pants, skirt (don't ask why even the unmodded game lets you wear both) shirt, robe, two rings and an amulet. Different items had different max % of chameleon on 'constant effect' but the total of the nine items was just over 100%, despite all my shiny flashy clothes, the enchantment would cause them (when worn) - and myself :) - to fade away completely.

Took ages to find all the required items, though...

8. Master Leo Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

personally i find this "100%" stuff pretty cheesy,
    since it makes the game ridiculously easy

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.