1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Starting a new game

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by aerilon, Aug 15, 2002.

1. aerilon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Alright, since it's been ages since I played IWD, and with the feedback from my last question, I've decided to start a new game with a 4 person party. I know what classes and races I'm going to go for, but I'm looking for advice on what proficiencies to choose from the start, and what minimum stats I might shoot for.

Human Paladin

Elf Fighter/Thief (considering going with half-elf instead, due to the CON penalty with pure elves)

Human Bard

Elf Druid(considering going with Half-elf fighter/druid)

2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    For a paladin use longswords or two-handed swords (I think that is great swords or something, it's been along time since I played it) and perhaps a bow for a ranged weapon. Give him as much as you can on Str, Dex, and Con (you need a strong arm, good AC, and allot of hp if you wish to survive out there)

For the f/t use daggers and longswords and crossbow for the ranged weapon. Stats should be the same as for your paladin.

For your bard take slots for ranged weapons and for the stats use Dex, Con, and Int (you'll have more bonus on writing scrolls if you don't play on easy, if you do try Cha instead)

As for the druid you should take scimitars (that's the same as for longswords I think) and slings for ranged weapon. Use the same stats as for the pal and f/t.

Hope this helps.

3. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I'd basically agree with Kenneth, but with a few revisions.

For the paladin, two-handed swords and bastard swords.

F/T-I'd say short bow instead of crossbow, but you won't find that many good ranged weapons in this game.

Bard-Crossbow and short swords.

Druid-Scimitars, sling, maybe quarterstaff.

4. Dralend Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I'd tend to agree, but think the Messenger of Sseth a great longbow and have hung on to it for the whole game (after Dragon's Eye). My Paladin has 5 shots per round! :) I would give your bard a proficiency in missile weapons and equip them with a decent crossbow - there are loads in the game, and one or two that also give a +2 armour class bonus as well.

5. griffin1987 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

It's always good to have a variety of weapons with your party. Some creaters might be resistent or immune to some weapons...

6. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

i'd suggest a half-elf for you bard for the pickpocket bonus and other racial advantages.

your choice of having only 4 characters in your party means a lot of tough fights ahead. the absence of a mage made me conclude that your bard will be your main spell caster. and this would mean that he is not going to be wearing any armor (i'm not sure if there is an armor that would allow spell casting, i have yet to finish the game. and i think i've probably played about half of it already.) this would make me suggest that your bard should be equipped with one-handed weapons (be it range or melee) so he can use a shield or the "lyre of progression" (acts like a shield that's made specially for bards, and you can get it early in the game). if you would be heeding most of the earlier suggestions, i would recommend you consider a blunt weapon for your bard and give the shortsword to the F/T instead. that way you get more weapon diversity. your druid would be summoning a lot of monster, you better give your bard a couple of monster summoning spells too (or the horn you can buy from the merchant that sells the "lyre of progression", it summons 2-4 barbarians(?)).

to make you better understand my suggestion i'll let you know something about my bard. a half-elven with weapon proficiencies in spear (there's a nice spear if you have HOW installed) and bow (messenger of sseth). she cast a lot of spell that i ended up selling the chainmail +1 she is wearing. her AC isn't that good, i have yet to find a good bracer. can't use the "lyre of progression" or shield because of two-handed weapon. it made me start switching to a one-handed weapons. the enemies can be overwhelmingly numerous, sometimes around 20 of them againsts my party of six (4 in your case)... this have hurt my bard a lot (my mage already have stoneskin, this spell is hard to find! so i don't worry much about him but my bard... that's something to think about).

one last suggestion... have fun :D .

7. aerilon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Unless I'm mistaken, you can cast while wearing Elven Chainmail, though the only place I know of to get elven chain is in The Severed Hand area.

8. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

i just finished the severed hand and just proceeded to dorn's deep but i didn't get the elven chainmail.

it would be a great help to me if you or anyone can enlighten me as to the specific wereabouts of this armor.

9. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

It's random only on a couple of people. I think Kaylessa and the priest, when you whack them.

Which means, the only way to get it is to save/reload...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.