1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Stargate Universe, did you watch it?

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Camel, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Camel Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Me being generally fond of sci-fi, watched this and the previous installments of the series.
    What I think about the first two (SG1 and SGA) is that they are kids shows. Fantastical heroes, fantastical scenarios (not including the scifi aspect, which would be obvious), fantastical and immature, and so on. Although it was OK to watch (I originally watched it because of "Macgyver", which I so enjoyed in my childhood).
    Now, "Universe" is different altogether, in that its no longer the childish kind of kinder show that the others mostly was. It is still sci-fi of course, and still has some of that fantastical hero elements (which is mostly unavoidable in action cinema). But more subtle, and refined perhaps. To me Universe is interesting because of the story, the setting and because of its uniqueness.

It makes me sad to hear that its going to be canceled, and it makes me sad to read in various commentary fields of articles of all the boring people whom posts something like: "This is not stargate blah blah" and "The others was so much better.. blah blah"
    SGU is to be canceled because of low ratings, and I think theres a logical explanation to this. Simply put, the "right" audience for this show hasn't discovered it yet.

Some people a more picky than others on what they watch, and "stargate" might bring associations that seem revolting to some, or some such effect. What I think is that most older people with an interest for sci-fi should be able to like this program.

Anyway, SGU; the 3'rd and latest installment, was announced by syfy in december 2010 to be canceled after the completion of its second season, which is halfway. The second half is to start spring 2011.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  2. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

SGU looked like a good enough series, but I couldn't help but get the feeling they were cashing in on the success of the Battlestar Galactica reboot. The original series and the Atlantis spinoff were great fun and had a definite feel to them. SGU totally changed that formula, and for better or for worse, people who were expecting Stargate style were not happy and tuned out.

A shame, really, but some gambles for the "darker and edgier" feel work, and some don't. This one didn't.

3. Camel Gems: 4/31

I never did watch BG. If that was very similar in appearance and story, then I'd say it might seem revolting to some. They did go a little far with that ninth chevron thing in the beginning, which would probably distance the show from hardcore stargate fans i guess.

And by that I meant that they traveled really, really far, of course. :p :D

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The SF situation on the local networks that we get here has been dismal for years. At best there's 1 SF show showing, but most of the time, none at all. And anything that we get is usually delayed for years - with the exception of BSG, which was shown pretty fast after the initial US air dates.

Anyway, I've always enjoyed the Stargate series that I've seen so far (SG-1 and a couple seasons of Atlantis I think), though I've been groaning more and more towards the end. You can only see the retarded "let's make a smart-ass remark to the boss alien so that he can punch me in the face/stomach" so many dozen times before you develop an automatic :facepalm: ... and of course the "science" is dumbed down to the max and the general development of the elements such as alien languages (the Goa'uld one apparently consisting of about a dozen words and everybody else speaking English anyway) hopelessly simplistic... but the show was still very watchable if you could ignore its flaws.

I guess I'd enjoy SGU too based on what I've read. The problem with Stargate is that it was the basest form of SF drama on TV (well ok, there's Red Dwarf too, but let's not get into that...) - it didn't even take itself seriously. Consequently the majority of its following was, well, perfectly matched to the intellectual level of the show. Present company excluded, of course. :D

So the producers must have known the risks before-hand - a more serious and intellectually challenging SG would mean that most of its original audience wouldn't like it. But since Stargate has such an enormous following and popularity, I guess they must have thought that even a fraction of that transferred to SGU would be enough to keep it going if it managed to find a new audience as well. Apparently, that hasn't quite worked out according to plan...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  5. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    As a one-time avid fan of the old Space 1999 series, I'm pleased to hear that space aliens in TV series are still human shaped, fluent in English (or at least proficient in telepathy), and that the laws of physics don't necessarily apply too strictly. :)

6. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I've recently acquired the first two seasons of SG1, and I thought the first was pretty good. Of course, the first season of any series tends to have some of the best writing and stuff as the ideas that made the writers passionate about doing the series are right there. I didn't think they were as bad as Tal does. But from what little I've seen of the later seasons, and from ALL of Atlantis (which my wife loves) it gets pretty cheesy. But even in such a series, you can get the occasional gem of an episode or sequence.

7. Camel Gems: 4/31

I've had similar thought myself on the "subject" and, if memory serves me right, Atlantis was the worst. I mean, Reith..!?, is that heavy-metal/KISS/rockband-race supposed to be scary? To me the show mas mostly a comedy with these long-white-haired dudes.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    That's Wraith, you know. :D I thought they looked like Drizzt-lookalikes. :shake:

9. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Also that the aliens embody typical earthen architypes or caricatures of the day, distinguished only by appending 'space -' to the start of same (space hillbilly, space cowboy, space biker, space nazi, etc.), and that they share sensibilities of the day as far as style goes. (Late 20th century space aliens from light years away dressed in go-go boots and mini skirts and had beehive hair-dos, for example ... at least those portrayed as encountered by Professor Robinson and co. in 1969.)

10. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

The Wraith were basically vampires, except that they didn't suck blood, they sucked life. In D&D terms, they drained levels (like wraiths, iirc the undead powers list) and gained power when they did so. In appearance, I saw them as halfway between Negative Drow (White rather than Black) and (with the long leather cloaks and tentacle - like hair) Illithid. They could have been really interesting antagonists, but they seemed to me to be so laughably foolish and easily outwitted it was almost painful to watch. I mean, the guys were morons.

11. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Ohhhh! Nice smiley. :D

Not to be off-topic. I don't watch TV for a long time now but I did see some SG episodes... the ones with McGyver. Are the newer ones like those or more similar to the movie or entirely a new spin?

12. Camel Gems: 4/31

Starting with the movie and going to SG:1, its a very smooth transition. Pretty seamless I'd say, the character's even look the same, well, at least the geologist does (don't relly remember much more from the film). On to SG:A, also very integrated and seamless, so is SG:U for that matter.
    So each new series is like an continuation of the previous, and SG:1 is continuing where the movie left off.

Ok, just remembered, it was Kurt Russel who played O'Neil in the film, he doesn't exactly look like Richard D. Anderson but that is not really an issue.

13. Taluntain

Media:
    Actually, there's some overlapping with the series... SG-1 and Atlantis, that is. I remember being very annoyed by that because at the time they were only showing SG-1 here and no Atlantis. The deal is, they started showing Atlantis 2 seasons before SG-1 ran out in the US, so both series were running concurrently for quite some time. There are a number of twists and references to SG-1 members heading off to Atlantis and Atlantis references making their way into SG-1, which doesn't make any sense if you haven't seen Atlantis.

So if possible, it's best to watch both series in sync from the season 8 of SG-1 onwards.

14. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I would watch SGU except they only put it on at really late times Saturday night-usually long after things I have no interest in watching have come and gone.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.