1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Starfield - Inon Zur Interview

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by RPGWatch, Sep 4, 2023.

1. RPGWatch

RPGWatch Watching... ★ SPS Account Holder

[​IMG]Sector interviewed composer Inon Zur about his work in the video game industry:

[​IMG]

Inon Zur: Crafting the Emotional Pulse of 'Fallout,' 'Syberia,' and 'Starfield'

During the interview, he told us more about the process of composing iconic music for Bethesda's games, revealed his love for Syberia, and explained why he approached Starfield as a philosophical work and not just a game set in space.

Inon Zur has left an indelible mark on the world of video game music. The Israeli-American composer who is known for his immersive scores for iconic franchises like Fallout, Syberia and Dragon Age, recently captivated audiences by opening Gamescom in Cologne with his performance of the main theme from Starfield. His unique blend of orchestral and electronic music has not only earned him numerous awards but also cemented his reputation as one of the industry's leading composers. We had the opportunity to talk to him during the Digital Dragons conference in Krakow where he had a talk about building a memorable and signature score for an "Out of this World" game. During the interview, he told us more about the process of composing iconic music for Bethesda's games, revealed his love for Syberia, and explained why he approached Starfield as a philosophical work and not just a game set in space.

How did your journey as a composer start, and what led you to video game music specifically?

That's a very weird story because I actually did not plan to do video games at all. From 1995 I started working at the Fox Family channel as a staff composer and I composed hundreds of TV episodes for Power Rangers and others like BeetleBorgs and Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot and lots of other shows. And I thought TV was great. But then one thing is that you always have to work really fast and you hardly record any live instruments and it was always tense.

And then one day I got a surprising phone call from an agent who said that he's an agent for composers for video games. And I said, "What? Composers for video games? Is there something like that?" Well, it was 1996, so I said I'm not interested. But then he said, "You've got to try it! It's very interesting and they record live orchestras and they have good budgets." And I tried once and here we are today.

So you haven't thought about switching to a different medium, maybe doing movies or series?

Here and there I did movies. In 2013, I actually did a pretty big movie with Lionsgate and I'm doing a lot of trailers also for movies. But video games are probably my main thing for the last 26 years. Although next year I'm also scheduled to score a live action TV series.

[...]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2023
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.