1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Star Wars RPG any good?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Series' started by Brallrock, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

But a lightside character can also choose several Darkside powers.

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yes, you can, but the lightside-darkside penalties will reduce your force points too quickly for you to be able to wipe out a whole room or even a difficult opponent. So, unless you're going for the bonus you recieve from being extremely good or extremely bad, I've found that keeping your aura in the middle (which is usually what happens when you make sensible choices) is best, because you don't suffer too many penalties from using either set of powers.

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    @Enagonios: Playing the Light Side, I can move into the middle of the room and press the Wave icon five times. :p

4. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Mods are available, but they can't be discussed in an official capacity because they're unsupported. Check out StarWarsKnights.com for a start.

5. Pac man Gems: 25/31

So they might just as well cause a CTD or something ?

6. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Haven't played kotor 2, but went through kotor 3.5 times, twice as a LS scout/sentinel, once as a DS soldier/guardian, and halfway as a LS scoundrel/counselor. The scout/sentinel always seemed like the natural choice for me: super high saves and immunities, more than enough force powers, great computer skills (very helpful), automatic flurry feat and implant feats, etc.

Absolute agreement with Chev: force wave rocks beyond all other offensive powers, and it works with armor too! (The heavy exoskeleton is too good to pass up for jedi robes IMHO, and it looks cool too!). Sure some enemies are more vulnerable to the stasis or insanity powers, but that (along with buffs like valor and timesavers like jedi speed) is what companions are for.

An armored scout/sentinel can easily max out the most fun and useful powers (for LS, force wave, destroy droid, dominate mind, and cure) and feats (master flurry, two-weapon fighting, conditioning, etc, plus implants and immunity feats), as well as get respectable skill scores in computers, demolitions, and persuasion.

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Bah! I don't need no stinking armor :p DS Soldier/Consular can take a whole room out with lightning and drain before anyone can even get to him :p I always play a Guardian when I'm LS.

8. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

You guys are getting me seriously fired up to play this game, now I wish my wife had paid for priority shipping. I will check out that web site.

9. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Does anyone remember if KotOR 2 was very buggy or not ? I just bought a brand new PC, installed KotOR 2, patched it with the official update, but the game still freezes in the room where you first meet Kreia.

I don't recall having any problems in the game that soon. Anyone familiar with my problem ?

10. Bion Gems: 21/31

I still like Force Wave more; there's something satisfying in knocking everyone on their ass...

KOTOR annoyances: (yeah it's a great game, but...)

1) D20 game mechanics: I know it's the backbone of SP, but I still wish Gygax et al had come up with a different solution than ACs, HPs, and Hit Dice.

2) Combat in the Star Wars universe (yes, even in the movies): Lucas and co. heavily ripped off the Dune universe for Star Wars (especially evident in Tatooine, with its spice gathering Sand Crawlers and feircely tribal, moisture-conserving gear wearing Sand People, sort of a Dune-lite). They also ripped off Dune's emphasis on...

2a) Melee combat: everyone likes stories about the honor of one-on-one combat, right? Of course, we also found out at least since Napoleon that it's far better to have a rifle, and far far better to have artillery. In Dune, Herbert at least bothered to come up with a workaround for why hand to hand is still important: personal energy shields that block projectiles and cause super-nasty feedback explosions with energy weapons. In the Star Wars universe, they don't even bother; instead, people run around with swords and lightsabers because...

2b) Blasters suck: Cheney shooting birdshot is more intimidating and more accurate. Why no one invented a decent projectile weapon in the Star Wars universe is a mystery to me.

That being said, yes, it's still cool to run around with a lightsaber, but it does require an especially large suspension of disbelief...

11. Brallrock Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Yeah baby, KotOR came today, I am ging to load it as soon as I am done typing this message. I will let you all know how much I like it later. :D

12. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Buggiest game I've ever played. You have to save in different slots regularly because once the game hangs in a certain spot, once you restart, that save slot is rendered unusable. Also, in certain areas where there is a lot going on, the game tends to crash especially if you are using force powers and stuff.

@Bion

If you want realistic and "can be killed quite easily with a bullet" you should check out Rainbow6 and the other Clancy games :p I personally loved the fact that I could run straight at a target and automatically deflect his blaster shots back at him. Obi-Wan had nothing on me ;)

13. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Hmmm... my KotOR 2 run was quite bugless...

By the way, certain Force Powers aren't blocked by armour, so you can develop those if you want more than robes. Also, you can give DEX a pass in that case. Oh, and if you're male in KotOR2, however, things are different, because you can be taught how to add WIS bonus to DEX bonus when not wearing armour. My AC in robes was quite insane. In excess of 40... Probably above 50, as well.

14. Brallrock Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I got it fired up after DL the latest driver for my Radeon graphiics card, and stated playing. Of course, like a true man, I didn't bother reading the manual, I just started playing, which was fine until I tried to move. So I got through the ship right up to the last chamber before you get to the escape pod. I just gotta work some magic on the computer and they will all die I geuss, and then I can move on. I can't wait until I get home in the AM and can play some more.

The game came with Prima's official strategy guide and I brought that to peruse tonight while I work.

15. Brallrock Gems: 23/31

Veteran

So I played for about 2 hours when I got home, I am running around Taris city exploring. I'm not looking for spoilers, but I do have a question. Is there time limits in the game? Do I need to hurry to find the Jedi chick or can I just enjoy my exploring and figure things out slowly in my own time? I have a guide, but I want to avoid using it if I don't need to rush.

16. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

No need to hurry, there's no time limit. And keep that guide hidden away; figuring things out for yourself is sooo much more entertaining.

17. Bion Gems: 21/31

What Magpie said. For the first runthrough, wander around at the speed you feel comfortable with, and build up your PC which ever way you seems most natural...

18. Brallrock Gems: 23/31

Veteran

That is exactly what I intend to do. I just read the getting started and item description part of the guide, I am more than happy to flounder around if time doesn't matter. I wish the game didn't make everything sound so timed. I like to play RPG's so I don't have time limits. Thank you for your sage advice!

19. Brallrock Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Just a quick update for anyone who cares. I am know a padawan Guardian, and have finished the Dantooine quests and I am starting on Tatoone. I am liking my Lightsaber and force push/whirlwind is pretty cool. I have been using Bastila in my party most of the time, so I have varied what force powers I give between the two of them so I don't have all of my Jedi with the same powers. I have kept that guide book up on the shelf, and I am enjoying this game imensely. I plan on getting KotOR II after I finish this one. I hate to say it, but I think I like it better than even BG, which I didn't think was possible.

20. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

I like them both about evenly, but KotOR has na extra edge that puts it above BG, you'll see whta I'm talking about soon ;) PS: T owns them all though.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.