1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Star Wars: Of Plot-Holes & Loose-Ends Obscura

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Death Rabbit, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    To me, it seems the names after "Darth" have a faintly sinister aspect to them. Sidious is like "insidious" which Palpatine is. Maul is already a complete word, no guessing required. Tyrannus is like tyranny. Vader is like invader.

I'm not a Star Wars junkie, so I don't know how many other "Darth" names there are, or if the faintly sinister trend continues, but for the names I'm aware of, it seems to fit.

2. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    BTA - You're obviously not a big fan, since you're not aware of Darth Pookie, the little known "benevolent" leader of the Sith almost 2000 years before the Republic.!!! ;) :grin: :spin: :roll: :lol: :tie:

3. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I have to say one thing about the names... As much as I love the series and love the story and everything, Lucas is definitely a bit silly with the whole naming thing.
    Darth Maul?! As if Wookiee wasn't bad enough. Or Count Dooku. But he's definitely very obvious with the 'sinister' aspect of the bad guy names... Maul, Grievous, Sidious, Tyrranous(sp?).....

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I just thought of a really cool plot twist they could have included that would've been kinda cool.

If somewhere in the movies they had highlighted Mace Windu's particular predeliction into tapping his "dark side," along with the whole purple light-saber thing, I think it would have been cool if in RotS, Anakin's butting heads with Windu, along with his known dark-side line-towing, would lead Anakin to begin suspecting that Mace Windu was indeed the Sith Lord they'd been looking for. This could have been helped along by sneaky suggestions here and there by Sidious. Then later on, Sidious could have lead Anakin to believe that that's why Mace wanted to kill him so badly, because two Sith lords is a crowd.

Would've been an interesting story arc IMO.

I have another one I thought of...

10) Why, in RotS, did they not allude to the fact that Grievous achieved his position as leader of the confederate armies by being one of the most ruthless Jedi killers in the galaxy? In the opening scenes of RotS, when Grievous stated Anakin and Obi's lightsabers would make wonderful additions to his "collection," the fact that the sabers were handed to him by a battle droid makes it look like these and all the other light sabers he had were collected by his troops on the battlefield, not collected off of Jedi Grievous had slain himself. And then the fact that Obi appears to defeat Grievous so easily made him look really wussy and kind of a pointless character.

This is one of many instances where I truly feel that if Lucas had just spent an extra 10 total minutes of screen time explaining some story points a little better here and there, the whole story would've felt more complete.

Thoughts?

5. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Wasn't Flounder also a legacy? :hmm: :D

As for GG, I think Lucas 1) hasn't met an actor he couldn't make look wooden, and 2) hasn't made a CGI actor that he couldn't make look goofy. GG ends up as kindof a killer cyborg Jar-Jar. IMHO, that's why 4-6 are far better than 1-3: somehow the restrained wooden live actor thing seemed more Jedi than the over-the-top groovy CGI thing.

How 'bout this comparison of things Lucas 'borrowed' from Dune:

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Some of those Dune comparisons seem a little 'forced'. For starters, who has ever heard of Jedi Bendu? Plenty of 'federations' have monopolies - that is a reflection of real life economics. Ooh, electric binoculars!

It's like saying:
    In Star Wars they shoot lasers at each other.
    In Bad Boys II they shoot guns at each other.

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    DR - As Bel mentioned, a bit of Grievous' background is covered in the cartoon shorts (they played them all back-to-back on the SciFi channel not too long ago, so I watched them).

In them you see Grievous kill a bunch of Jedi and collect their lightsabers.

You also get so see Mace single-handedly open a can of whoop-ass (both bare-handed and with his lightsaber) on an army of droids and this giant machine that slams a huge piston down onto the earth to cause explosion-like damage all around it.

[ June 18, 2005, 20:09: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

8. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You guys - geez - as I said above, I KNOW that Grievous kills Jedi and takes their lightsabers. I know this because I've read prequel books and I've seen the goofy cartoon series. But I'm not the majority of RotS viewers - I'm a fan, who goes to extra effort to find these things out because I'm interested. My point was, Grievous' history wasn't clear in RotS, where most people would get to see ANY of Grievous at all because only the die-hard fans bother to watch the cartoons (and a few casual viewers like yourself). I think we can all agree that knowing just a little more of Grievous in the movie (30 seconds of screentime, tops) would greatly improve his presence in the film. I was wondering why they didn't allude to this in the film for the vast majority of people, who haven't - and probably don't care to - see the Clone Wars cartoon series. Because as is, Grievous looks like a pushover, and I know he really isn't.

It's like above when I asked about why Windu's lightsaber was purple and somebody said "because of the lightsaber crystal." Well no sh*t! Wasn't what I asked. Am I phrasing my questions in a way that makes me seem daft, or what?

@ Bion - good point about the Dune comparisons. Never really noticed the similarities before.

9. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Oh, well, I just figure the complete backstory is really only that interesting to Star Wars fans who would have spent the time (like you did) to get it from the available places.

Someone who was not so much into Star Wars wouldn't really get a whole lot of the more subtle points, so it didn't really matter that they didn't fully understand that Grievous was a badass and not a pushover. <shrug>

10. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Er, I didn't know Grievous's background and I still got the "gee, he kills Jedi" thing.

Not rocket science; if someone has a "collection" of lightsabers taken from Jedi, said someone is a badass.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.