1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Star Wars books

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Dice, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    My son has recently become a Star Wars fan. He has now seen all the movies and love the lego. He is doing his first book report so naturally he decided on a Star Wars book to read for it. He chose one called Blood Lines and he's enjoying it a lot.

I thought that when he was finished reading that one he might be interested in reading more of them. I was wondering if any of you have read any of the Star Wars books and have any that you could recommend were good ones. I might read some myself.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  2. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    The best Star Wars book evah is Matthew Stover's Shatterpoint. I dunno if your kid will get much out of it, but you will.

Also check out Karen Traviss' Republic Commando stuff. Yes, they're based on a game. Doesn't matter; they're still better than anything except Stover's stuff. Again, dunno if your kid will get much out of 'em.

Stay away from everything Kevin J Anderson, and way the hell away from The New Jedi Order.

3. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Timothy Zahn made the first and still those stand as rock solid. Heir to the empire, dark force rising and the last command. read those first since many other are situated whit small storylines from that time period.

The star wars books are something special since most novels work out as a whole story. They are connected whit plotlines and happenings. even between different series. Some books take place between movies, same 20 years later, or earlier. the 3 mentioned above are a safe start and one of the better stories. It introduces a few characters that poke around in other books and give a general idea of the situation after return of the Jedi.

Even the games like Jedi Academy, even Dark forces, fit in some account into the general story.

4. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

It is still an ongoing montly series but I would recommend the graphic novel of the Knights of the Old Republic. VERY cool. Zayne Carrick rocks. Oh and if you haven't yet, get the KotOR games ;)

5. Giles Barskins Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Agreed. I started reading something by Kevin J. Anderson and didn't even finish it becasue it was so bad. Stay the freak away.

I would suggest reading the novelizations of the books themselves. All 6 of the books flesh out the movies and provide a lot of great background to the stories that started this 30 year phenomenon.

The authors that did the prequels (Terry Brooks, RA Salvatore, and Matthew Stover) each did a very good job and I prefer the books to the movies. In fact, books are the only way I can stomach episodes 1 and 2. Stover's style in Episode 3 was amazing. One more vote for a Matthew Stover SW novel.

The novels of the original movies are... interesting. In some parts they don't quite follow the movies as well as they should. Yoda has blue skin in ESB, for example. A few other strange differences as well. It's been a while since I read them. Still, they provide some good insights into those movies as well.

We've already had a recommendation for the Timothy Zhan "episodes 7,8,9" series and I would echo that.

The best book I've read from the Star Wars universe lately was the Darth Bane book that came out a year or two ago. Excellent book. You'll probably want to preview it, since it is about Bane's journey toward the Darkside. I didn't find anything objectionable in it, however.

Labyrinth of Evil, the book that leads right up to EIII was very cool. I plan on reading the book about Vader that takes place right after EIII, called Dark Lord or something like that. I'll let you know how it is if you'd like.

Personally, I stay away from anything that involves Han, Luke, & Leia saving the universe from the umpteenth time, as that story can only be told in so many ways before it gets old.

:tie:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  6. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    In some books new republic officials are so dumb that they arrest Leia.

Als, the x-wing series are okay. At least the first ones. later it gets bad. In those the liberation, or invasion, of Coruscant is done. the courtship of leia is fair, but not great.

A series whitout Jedi is the bounty hunters trilogy. What happened whit Boba Fett after he fell into the Sarlacc? Did he live?

7. Giles Barskins Gems: 6/31

Oh, the Bounty Hunter trilogy. I forgot about that one. I can't remember if I finished the first book or not. I know I definately did NOT read the next two.

Did not want.

8. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I read the Bounty Hunter anthology thing that came out a LOOONG time ago.

Yeah, Boba Fett ended up living. Turns out he detonated a grenade in the sarlaac. some other bounty hunter finds him and nurses him to health. its that weird looking bounty hunter that looks like he has a towel on his head iirc. Don't remember anything else, it was pretty boring.

9. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Anything by Michael Stackpole are really good (I, Jedi is supposed be a great read, but I haven't gotten round to reading it yet :( ). Also, the graphic novels featuring a character called Quinlan Vos are really good too, I think they start with Twilight but I can't remember off the top of my head.

10. Giles Barskins Gems: 6/31

One more suggestion that would probably be well suited to the attention span of younger readers: the collection of short stories found in the "Tales of the Bounty Hunters", "Tales from Mos Eisly Cantina" and "Tales from Jabba's Palace". The first one contains a short story about each of the bounty hunters that Darth Vader rounded up to find that Millenium Falcon. The other two books contain short stories about the background characters in the Cantina and Jabba's Palace scenes respectively.

11. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I actually read Tales from Jabba's Palace a long time ago. I ended up selling it to a used book store. I now wish I had kept it. I liked that one. Maybe I can find the tales about the bounty hunters. My kid is all about the bounty hunters for some reason.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.