1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Stand-Up Comedy in Europe Sucks...Discuss

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Late-Night Thinker, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

the last couple of years, stand-up comedy in denmark has sky-rocketed, though it's all in danish so I doubt any foreigners would have any joy of it. Though if you are a dane, it's awesome :D

there's a lot of good comedians, and they have a stand-up comedy night every week I think. Really popular among the young people here (or those of young mind).

2. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Let me begin on Britain alone...

Rowan Atkinson
    John Cleese
    Billy Connolly
    Ronnie Barker
    Paul Merton
    Paul Whitehouse
    Lee Evans
    Reeves and Mortimer
    Lenny Henry
    Rik Mayall
    Jasper Carrott
    Charlie Higson
    John Thomspon
    French and Saunders
    Steve Coogan
    Ricky Gervais
    Craig Charles

And THAT is, like, totally no way get OUTTA here, WHATEVER!!!

(canned laughter)

3. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Europeans unfunny?

Monty Pythons.
    Best. Ever.

(However I admit you have great shows and such as well. Six feet under and Simpsons come in mind)

4. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Great! I'm glad to hear there are comedians in Europe. Mr. Izzard must have been exagerating during his act when he spoke about the lack of stand-up over there. The fact he wore a plaid bra with a pokadot thong should have warned me of his erronious judgements.

And the Simpsons rule. Grandpa is my favorite with Mr. Burns in second.

5. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Yes I back Lokken completely. We have an ocean of stand up comedians here in denmark that drag audience like a free shotgun with your cheeseburger store would do in America.

Important
    Think about it, more than a handfull of people can live of stand up comedy in denmark with 5 million residents. And that is even with the competition from all american "stand up". That kinda put things in perspective. /end-The court is ajourned

6. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Free shotgun with your cheeseburger?...dude...McDonald's stopped doing that yeeeeears ago...

7. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

In Greece the stand up comedy has not existed until a couple of years ago. Since then this kind of entertainment takes small but sure steps towards common acknowledgement and from a couple of acts that i have seen it has a lot of potential :cool: but since the Greek language is not so known abroad i guess you won't have seen a greek act. :(
    We have adopted the american style and it is working quite well for us at least. ;)

8. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

@ Late-Night Thinker

Well, as I understand your point, it's all about you don't know any European comedians, i.e. Swedish, Greek, Swiss, Italian, Spanish, German, Belgian, Danish, Polish and so on. Oh, and of course, Dutchland. Except a few British comedians.

Your conclusion is, because you do not know any comedians from those countries, it's a big comical void and people there haven't any comedians. Ergo, people in those countries have no humour and their comedy sucks. Because if they wouldn't, your local TV channel would have aired them, right ?

In short, I don't know anything about there, so I presume, there is nothing there.

Edit: Ooops, how could I forget. Austrian comedy actually rules. They are dam funny, with their very unique Austrian style.

[ June 12, 2003, 13:27: Message edited by: Yago ]

9. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Like Hollywood-style movies, it's an American art form. Let them have it. Canadians who become stand-up comics tend to do so in the US - here in Canada, they tend to do sketch comedy or multi-voiced radio comedy instead. Canadian comedians tend to be team players, and work in troupes - the Kids in the Hall, SCTV, the Frantics, Radio Free Vestibule, This Hour has 22 Minutes, Royal Canadian Air Farce. The kind of sketch humour seen in Saturday Night Live is more popular with audiences in Canada and Europe than stand-up as far as I can tell. Certainly it's more popular with me. If I wanted to watch someone stand around being witty all by themselves, I'd talk to the mirror. :)

Having said that, I am mad for (American) Emo Philips. He is the only stand-up comic I've ever troubled myself to see live - three times! But again, he tends to do bits of physical acting as well as delivering monologues, he doesn't just drawl contemptuously into a microphone for an hour like virtually all the other stand-up comics I've ever seen.

Edit: In fact I've found an interview in which Emo tackles this very question:
    "Q: It seems that England appreciates your humor a lot more than America. You, Bill Hicks, Monty Python... why do you think the British have a lot hipper sense of humor than Americans. Or actually let me rephrase that, why is the comedy in America not as hip as in almost all other civilized countries?

A:Because we allow handguns. when you know someone in the crowd might be packing a rod, it can't help but rush your timing."

10. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Heh, funny thing to say. Bill Hicks actually had his leg broken one time and a gun pulled on him another time in America on his "flying saucer tour."

11. Malaqai Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I'm not talking about your sitcoms, I'm talking about almost every American that I have met. They just didn't see what is funny about sarcasm and irony, and my country lives for it (honestly)!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.