1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Spring 2009 soccer season

Discussion in 'BoM Blogs' started by The Great Snook, Apr 12, 2009.

1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Week 1:

I'm going out of my mind. The spring soccer season always starts too early for me. I have three more days until "tax season" is over and I'm working a million hours a week. Some of the parents stepped up and helped with a practice last week.

On Friday we had our first outdoor practice. We worked on some passing and throw-in drills for about 30 minutes. Then we did some shooting drills for another 15 minutes. We are sharing practice time with a team that is a division higher then us. We spent the last 45 minutes of practice scrimmaging with them. Both teams were really rusty, but we did pretty well. We lost the scrimmage 3-1, but I really wasn't playing it like a game. I had all sorts of kids not playing in their position and I was really just trying to evaluate some of my new kids. The kid who I wrote about in "Things are tough all over" looks like he might be really good.

On Saturday we played our first game of the season. It was quite the ordeal. It was an away game for us and we played about 30 minutes away. The damn Garmin kept on recalculating, so I wasn't sure it even knew where we were going. We get to the field and it is a balmy 35 degrees farenheit, windy, and pouring rain. One side of the field had a major puddle around the penalty kick area. The other coach seriously wanted to cancel the game, but after we had all hoofed it there with our stuff, I was dead set against that as arranging make up road games is a real pain in the ass.

The game started and we quickly jumped to a 5-0 half time lead. My new kid is way too good to be on my team. Don't get me wrong, I'm prefectly O.K. with having a ringer on my team, but he will clearly be on a higher team next year after we have summer tryouts. He scored a hat-trick (3 goals) in the first half and the way he plays just makes everyone else better. I don't think I've ever seen the team pass as well as they did.

As we entered the second half the temperature started to drop, but the rain kept on coming down. Everyone looked like drowned rats. I am a big believer in sportsmanship and that nothing is gained by destroying another team. These are kids after all. So I swapped out my goalie as he wanted a chance to run, I put my offense on defense, and my defense on offense. This enabled the other team to come back and now we were only up 5-3. It then started to dawn on me that maybe I needed to put everyone back in position as it would be real disappointing to blow this game. We ended up winning 7-3. I'm going to have to remember that if I'm in that situation again, to not switch it up like that until a little later in the 2nd half.

My son played an O.K. game. He got some touches and made some great passes, but didn't get a chance to shoot. He took a forearm to the face at some point in the game and his braces cut his inner lip (he refuses to wear the mouthguard as he claims he can't breath with it in). Without a doubt, this took him out of game a bit as he kept on wipeing his lip with his sleeve (it was covered in blood by the time he showed me).

I had to take two other kids home and they all made me have the heat on high in the car to warm them up. It was like a sauna.

For now we are 1-0 and everyone is happy.

2. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

5-0 in one half is pretty impressive. What age group does your team play in Snooky.

3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Boys under 14. It can be tough as their isn't a Boys under 13 group in the league we play. My team is all 13, and sometimes we run into teams of all 14 year olds and it is amazing the difference that one year makes.

4. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Yeah, I remember playing when I was that age. One year does make a lot of difference, especially in different divisions.

All the best for the year Snook!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.