1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

(Spoiler) How to kill a certain tough monster?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Otis, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Otis Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

As if anybody reading this hasn't played through the game before... Still, following is a

My question: Is it possible to kill the mind golems in the mind flayer's complex? If so, how?

2. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Hack and slash works well. You might need fairly good magical weapons, I cant remeber if they are immune to a certain type (bludgeoning etc).

I just sent my whole party against them one at a time, they werent easy but they dropped. What problems are you having?

3. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Weapons that ignore armor bonuses and the like have alawys worked well for me! If you have any weapons by that stage you'll take them out quite easily!

4. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

I dont think he will have any by that stage.

What about magical weapons created by spells?

5. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

I don't remember having any problem in my game fighting them. Just summon, buff, charge and kill.

At this point of the game you should be able to buy +3 weapons of any kind from the merchants if you haven't killed them and cast buffs like champion's strength and emotion:hope which increase the damage output a lot if you want to overcome damage resistance.
    You could also go back to the battle squares and try to win a few weapons, like the spear+4 and shortsword+5.

6. Otis Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Thanks for the responses. I just tried it once; my best fighter started getting shredded with 50+ HP blows while only dealing a few points himself after damage resistance, so I figured it just wasn't going to work.

I wasn't using a weapon with the right enchantment level. Some arrows of piercing or sure-strike ought to do the trick. I don't have any +3 items yet... could buy some from the merchants as suggested.

Thanks again!

7. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Ummm Proteus, if you finished the little challegne in the Ice Temple then you would've received a weapon that is more than capable of doing the job.

8. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

Sounds like you're describing "Brilliant" weapons. I thought that brilliant weapons only worked on "living" targets and since golems are hardly "living", I thought that brilliant weapons wouldn't work on them. But I've never tested that, so I don't really know.

Also, I'd suggest casting Stoneskin on anyone who's going to take on a mind golem in melee.

Still, if I had plenty of +3 or greater ammo, I'd try to take out the MG's at range. Maybe only send in one tank to keep the MG occupied.

9. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

The merchants just south of the Drow encampment in the are before going into the citadel sell +3 variant of most weapon types in the game, go get yourself some from there. You didn't kill them, right?

Equip your melee guys with +3 weapons and hack the golems to smithereens. Otherwise, good luck and godspeed on trying to overcome their 50/+3 damage resistance - ain't gonna happen with anything less than a good critical hit from your strongest fighters.

Other than their super-high damage resistance, they are pushovers, really. Yes, they hit hard, but unless you're playing with a solo character, you have numerical advantage.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.