1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Spies and Espionage

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Abomination, Oct 6, 2004.

1. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

There isn't an international law against espionage in times of peace but every country has laws against it. However, during war (even if the Geneva Conventions and the Hague Regulations consider espionage an acceptable form of warfare)if a spy is caught, he is denied the POW status (regardless if he is a member of the military or not) and he is considered to be a civilian and therefore bound by the laws about civilians during warfare.

2. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I don't mind if the police spy on me. I've got nothing to hide. Breach of privacy? Oh no! The police know I collect plush toys! The investigator will probably forget about it within a week anyway. If they do reveal this then you can sue them.

Affairs of national security should ALWAYS override the rights of an individual. However I fail to see how Isreal is preventing a breach of national security by spying on New Zealand. We're as dangerous as a block of cheese!

3. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I thought the issue was more about obtaining NZ passports and identities for use in spying on *other* countries. And NZ was upset in that it would damage the integrity of the NZ passport, and so bring suspicion to all NZ passport holders...

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Bion, actually, you are correct. The biggest issue for New Zealanders should be the fact that these activities undermine the value and integrity of the NZ passport which is pretty much the most important identity document we have. Imagine getting stranded in some foreign country because your passport had been inflitrated by some spy.

5. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Yeah, you could be stuck in NZ and never make it back to your native Pitcairn Islands... ;)

6. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

What, are we planning to throw the Bledisloe Cup and invade 12 hours later when everyone's passed out drunk? Or are they just going to export Shannon Noll and have him make everyone capable of resistance kill themselves by saturation broadcasting of "What About Me?" and "Overdrive"?

/me leers evilly at Harbourboy and Abomination

But seriously, it's pretty low what France and now Israel have done in New Zealand. Just because it's not a big country or hasn't fought any wars recently (note: that's a good thing), that doesn't mean you don't treat them with respect. Treating New Zealand like some a$%-backwards forgotten state is AUSTRALIA's job, damn it!

The NZ in "ANZUS" isn't from Australia or the States, Carcaroth. But I'm not sure of how committed to that treaty New Zealand is. Australia's PM, however, generally needs Dubya's permission to do anything these days and is rather slavishly adhering to it (though not unwisely, I would state).

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

NZ is not in the good books, defence-wise, with the USA. Not only is that ongoing issue about us not letting any of their ships come here if they are nuclear powered (or even if they refuse to confirm to us whether they are nuclear powered or not), but we also refused to be an American pawn in the recent war in Iraq. Because our Prime Minister could see no UN mandate for the war, she did not allow us to send troops.

Bold stuff, but can NZ afford to be that bold? (see previous comments re the pathetic state of our 'defence' system).

8. Abomination Gems: 26/31

We can afford to be that bold. I'm certain we could rely on America to defend us if we were attacked, much like any English-speaking country could rely on other English-speaking countries to defend them if they were attacked.

We showed this boldness during the 2nd World War when we declared war on Germany immediatly after the United Kingdom and before Australia did.

As for being committed to ANZUS, we are. We don't let nuclear powered anything in our country (damned if I know why) and we have sent troops to Iraq to assist the population. We do want to please our allies but we're not going to do everything they say, because if we did it wouldn't be an alliance, we would just be an extension of America.

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That boldness could also be related to all that water surrounding you and the comparative lack of strategical value of the Islands. I also think you need to re-think your English speaking criteria, both India and Pakistan are English speaking, do you think they would automatically be defended if attacked?

10. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Sorry, I forgot about those two countries. I should have said 'white' English-speaking countries.

And no mentions about racisim or any crap like that. You all know what I mean.

11. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

You mean western countries. Right?

12. Abomination Gems: 26/31

France is a western country, Russia could be called a western country, Japan is very westernised.

13. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Yeah. Actually, I think that the most interesting about declaration of wars of that time is Canada. The only not directly threatend of the English speaking countries that actually entered the war from the beginning. India, Austrialia and New-Zealand were all directly threatend by Japan. Yet South-Africa and the USA never declared war against the axis-powers. Germany and Japan declared (in case of Japan, sort of) against the USA, not the other way around. Soo much to your theory. And one of the reasons for the appeasement policies of the UK in the thirties was, that they were quite sure that neither Canada, New Zealand, Australia or India would join a war to help them in a war in Europe again.

14. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Oh back then it was different. But today that would never happen. I was talking about New Zealand being bold with the second paragraph, not about the english nations being buddies (unless you were commonwealth - but that soon changed during the war with Australia disliking the Brits because they wouldn't allow Australian soldiers to come home and defend against Japan).

15. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Maybe I'm crazy, but IMHO Pearl Harbour was somewhat more than "sort of". So were Midway, Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

16. Abomination Gems: 26/31

But they didn't actually 'declare' war. They just attacked.

17. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Well, no, they (Japan) declared war about an hour after they attacked - still a declaration of war...
    (And I got an A+ for my essay on that subject :) )

(And is it just me, or is this the only thread in the AoDA that doesn't have to take itself entirely too seriously with long winded posts of people talking to themselves?)

18. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I didn't mean that as a knock on NZ. I meant that there is greater tension between the US and NZ than between the US and Australia. Must be the brand of chap stick John Howard uses... and will probably continue to use until Costello takes over.

Completely off-topic: does anyone else find it amusing that the Australian government has Abbott and Costello as two of our Cabinet members?

19. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Didn't take it as a knock on NZ :p
    We ARE committed however the agreement says nothing about us having to allow nuclear technology in our country or forcing us to jump into any war that America declares. We are complied to assist America and/or Australia if they are attacked yet if they declare war we do not have to assist.

We uphold our end of the bargain and we enjoy the treaty but we're not going to blindly follow the US.

20. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

This is ridiculous. Actually it is not. It is diplomacy. And it is natural.
    When a bigger spying scandal happens, countries always make a big diplomatic case from it, this is natural. Wanting apologies etc. Both sides know that they are spying each other, but when a bigger thing happens, they bring it to the public eye.

I entirely agree. Although both are natural. The first activity (i.e. finding people for the latter activity and paying them) is made by people who are not the citizens of the country, but are the actual spies (with diplomatic passports). These are the (intelligence) officers, while the "traitors" (those who steal from their own country) are the so-called agents.
    If the agents get caught, they are condemned for spying, the officers (who payed them) just have to leave the country (don't remember the correct term for this). Although I don't think that this applied e.g. in Iraq (and applies e.g. in North-Korea...)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.