1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Spell recommendation request, solo mage

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Jarikus, Apr 18, 2001.

1. Big Bad Bert Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

A thief can -

Make you tons of money.

Save you tons of money.

Pick up good XP for opening locks.

Pick up good XP for disarming traps.

Give you access to spells, weapons and armour far earlier than would usually be possible given limited funds.

Pick pocket items that are otherwise unavailable.

Scout ahead without the need for magic or expensive potions or artifacts.

SPOILER
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    Drink one or two potions of master thievery, steal the rest. Steal all the mage scrolls from the sellers in Waukeens. Get your mage to drink a (preferably stolen) potion of genius and then write the scrolls to your mage book. I picked up a 1/4 million XP like this in no time at all.......totally legal..err sort of :D (It's legal within the game rules anway.)

I fail to see how anyone can consider thieves useless in this game. I personally use a multiclass Fighter/Thief.....but that's my preference.

2. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Not useless, but certainly not needed to finish BG2.

The capability of a good thief to totally clean out stores is broken and I won't play like that. Pick pocket people to get some goodies is ok.

. . . . . .

But, ahem, back to the topic, eh?

I've come up with my 57th or so version of a Solo Sorcerer's spell selection! :D

1st:
    Magic Missile
    Protection from Evil
    Shield
    Sleep
    Spook

2nd:
    Knock
    Web
    Melf's Acid Arrow
    Invisibility
    Mirror Image

3rd:
    Melf's Minute Meteors
    Fireball
    Haste
    Spellthrust (Edited May 9th: This spell isn't needed so swap for any you think is more fun.)

4th: (Hard to choose at level 4!)
    Stoneskin
    Greater Malison
    Spider Spawn
    Secret Word (Edited May 9th: You can easily do without this spell. So many excellent spells at this level: Improved Invisibility, Minor Sequencer, Polymorph Self (good early in the game), Spirit Armor.)

5th:
    Animate Dead
    Breach
    Chaos
    Lower Resistance

6th:
    True Sight
    Death Fog
    Tenser's Transformation

7th:
    Mordenkainen's Sword
    Ruby Ray of Reversal
    Project Image (Edited May 9th: Or take Spell Sequencer since you get Simulacrum at 8th level.)

8th:
    Simulacrum
    Spell Trigger Web + Chaos + Death Fog sure is a fun combo ;)

Comment on Simulacrum: The implementation of this spell has made it so good it's broken.

[This message has been edited by Earl Grey (edited April 24, 2001).]

TIN_MAN has pointed out that there is a bug with Minor Sequencer, Spell Sequencer and Spell Trigger. This bug means a Sorcerer can only use 1st level spells in these sequencers. This makes them - except for Minor Sequencer - almost useless! Note that for a non-sorcerer these spells work fine.

[This message has been edited by Earl Grey (edited May 09, 2001).]

3. Big Bad Bert Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I think there are many classes NOT NEEDED to complete the game considering the potions and artifacts available.

Going solo (regardless of class) could be considered a "broken" tactic in itself as all XP goes to an individual who therefore levels up far earlier than would usually be the case.....not unlike clearing out a store of spells in order to gain XP really (although this would be pointless for a solo thief...my next adventure.)
    Whatever floats your boat is ok with me :)

Is it possible to go solo with no mage?

4. The_Raven Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

One question; how do I get a hold of horn of valhalla with s solo mage? I've tried but a spell (inprisonment?) shoots at me every time. How do I reverse this or is it impossible?

5. Amazo Gems: 1/31

Be a solo sorceror it is far cooler. Just a list of my recomemdations:-
    Skulltrap at level 17 over 100 damge if you roll it right how can you resist.
    Maze yeah it doesn't get rid of them forever but it does give you time to up your defences and bring in 5 summoned creatures and hence is very useful also there is no saving throw.
    Call wyvern alright this depends on your feelings about summoning but wyverns are the most powerful non-fiends summonable and so are very useful.
    spell immunity good when fighting against emies like liches hah i laugh off your finger of death.
    All in all remeber that as a soloing magic user anything that gives you time to remove your enmey from the field is good and summoning creatures are useful cause they generally have better thaco than you

6. carlstar Gems: 1/31

spell trap or spell immunity(abjr i think it is) will stop imprisonment. also good agaisnt certain lichs beginning with k.

7. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

"Tie Shoelaces" is a great spell that can trip the enemy up :D. I wouldn't go solo without it.

[This message has been edited by Big B (edited May 05, 2001).]

8. Wizard advocate Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I want the 'Tie shoelaces' spell! :) Hmm... wait. Not everybody in BG2 have shoe laces.... Maybe it's better if we have the 'summon 100 ton anvil' spell. To 'stop' them in their tracks. :)

9. Nightal Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Just listen what Earl grey has to say :)
    he's really right about the spells he recommended you!

10. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

About true sight:

I thought it more important than it is. using area damage spells also breaks most of the illusions, like mislead and clerics can cast it from level 9 already.

11. The Teacher Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I´m not sure if anyone else has noticed/reported it, but note that when you play solo, you get 10% bonus on ALL exp.points! The text will say you got, for instance, 3000 xp, but you actually got 3300!

[This message has been edited by The Teacher (edited May 12, 2001).]

12. Dauntalus Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

The 10% exp. bonus is actually there whether you're in MP or SP. It is based on the characters ability scores.

If your Prime requisite is 16 or higher than you receive the +10% exp. For thieves the score is dex, str for fighters, etc..

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.