1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Specs for The Elders Scrolls 4: Oblivion

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 1-4' started by Morgoth, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Well, I can say that after playing it for a few hours, it runs fine within the specs that they provided. My system is an 2.6Ghz P4 Northwood class processor, with 1GB of dual channel memory and a nVidia 6800 128MB graphics card. And it runs pretty smooth, for the most part. I'm running it at 1024X768 with full settings, but no antialiasing. Great game.

2. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

I'm so jealous. It's not released here until friday. :(

3. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I just went at the official site and was suprised at the requirements:

Recommended:

* 3 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
    * 1 GB System RAM
    * ATI X800 series, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series, or higher video card

Minimum System Requirements:

* Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows XP 64-bit
    * 512MB System RAM
    * 2 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
    * 128MB Direct3D compatible video card
    * and DirectX 9.0 compatible driver;
    * 8x DVD-ROM drive
    * 4.6 GB free hard disk space
    * DirectX 9.0c (included)
    * DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card
    * Keyboard, Mouse

Supported Video Card Chipsets:

* ATI X1900 series
    * ATI X1800 series
    * ATI X1600 series
    * ATI X1300 series
    * ATI X850 series
    * ATI x800 series
    * ATI x700 series
    * ATI x600 series
    * ATI Radeon 9800 series
    * ATI Radeon 9700 series
    * ATI Radeon 9600 series
    * ATI Radeon 9500 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce 7800 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce 6600 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce 6200 series
    * NVIDIA GeForce FX series

Note the 6600 and 6200 GeForce series are supported. At least here, GeForce 6600GT is very popular, i own it myself, and it makes quite the difference now that i know it'll run the game.

Morgoth, where did you get the specs from?

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Same place, it looks they've been edited since he's posted them.

5. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Now i'm not sure if it's for better or worse, that 6600 series are still supported. On one hand, i wont have to buy a new card just for this game. On the other, it probably wont be running as smooth if i did.

Ah well... goodbye high detail :nolike:

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I need help from one of you techies here. If it says that ATI X1300 series is supported would GeCube Radeon x1300 be supported as well? It ought cause it is seems that it is basically the same card but from a different manufacturer?

7. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

It would normally be safe to assume that your card would be supported as well.

8. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Now, would it be a stupid question if I asked how to find out what my computer has with regards to the bolded sections?

9. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

The easiest way would be to click Start, then Run, and type in "dxdiag". That should tell you everything.

10. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I think one can pretty safily assume a compatible sound card; unless your PC is ancient, in which case you wouldn't make the other requirements.
    Your video card DRIVERS should be 9.0 compatible, unless you haven't updated them in ages, in which case you should do so anyway. Don't know about how to find out the memoryness on your vid card though.

Now, as for my own speclist... Anyone with something similar played the game without getting major nukage? I want to be sure it'll run before I buy this game.

I'm running under WinXP
    I've got a gig of RAM, don't know what type
    2.4 Ghz P4 processor
    Nvidia NX6600 video card, 256 Mb
    Under dxdiag -> sound, I found an Realtek AC97 audio device... and that's mumbo-jumbo to me. However, I've never had problems with sound before, so I assume I'm cool here.

The rest is OK, that doesn't take a machinehead to figure out :p
    Anyone near this give a shout?
    :borg:

11. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

^ I'd like to second this with my own configuration... I'm yet to buy Oblivion, and I'm wary of doing so without a go-ahead from someone who already has the game.

P4 3.2 GHz
    1 GB DDR-RAM
    100 GB HDD with around 7 GB free at the moment.
    ATi Mobility Radeon 9800 with 256 MB VRAM (I'm worried about this)...

Everything else is pretty standard.

What sort of fps can I expect on this set up? Its a laptop, so upgrading is out of the question...I REALLY want this to be fine!! :confused:

12. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

How well do you think a GeForce 7600 GS 256MB run it? Video card thingy needs to be upgraded for NWN2 anyway, and that (from what I can tell) is one of the best cheap options, so if it can work for this as well, that would be great.

Also, would 2.8GHz work alright?

Other than those two... looks like I'll be able to get the game this easter break sometime!

13. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Rot -- I've got a GeForce 6800XT, 256 and it runs beautifully -- no lags, crystal clear graphics. You should be ok. 2.8 G should be fine as well. I've got a 3.7 with 1G of RAM and it plays as smooth as silk.

14. Rotku

Great. Thanks a lot, Spelly :)

15. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Hmm...I'm not sure if anyone would be interested...but I went ahead and got the game, seeing as my rig supported the minimum specs and I REALLY want to play this game.

Now...I've set my game at 640x480, minimum everything, with 2x AA...no anti-aliasing is just UGLY!

Anyway...I've been playing the game for about a couple of hours...and I'm not very happy with the results I'm getting.

Its quite jerky when I play, and outdoor areas are killing me!! The enemies start chasing after me, but I can't see them till they're almost right on top of me! Framerates are low generally, with the best I can squeeze out being about 12-15 fps normal.

Is this normal for my specifications? If anyone could comment on this, and also if there is anything I can do to improve matters, I'd appreciate it.

16. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

You've got enough RAM but you are asking for trouble with 2xAA.

But I bet you can tweak it and run at 1024x768 without 2xAA. I bet the foliage is killing you. Try reducing or eliminating the grass. Check out this tweak guide!

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article.asp?CIID=36222

17. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Hugo, I run it with an old amd ahtlon xp2600. My videocard is a 128md radeon 9800. Ram is 1,5 ddr400. So you are safe I think. I have some grass, no shadows, and all the rest on medium. The water is just black. Antialias is off. resolution is at 480X3??.

It runs smooth with short loading times. everything is nicely visible, like sings, plant, items and enemies.

Rotku, why not try a resolution of 480X3??

18. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

@merlanni: What sort of fps are you getting?

After HEAVY tweaking of .ini file...I've got the following at the moment...

720*480 (the lowest widescreen rez)
    Full view distance with Distant Buildings, Trees, Terrain...
    no shadows
    no water details (its just black, but who cares?)
    no grass
    mid specular dist.
    mid object fade
    mid item fade
    low actor fade
    mid tree fade
    bloom lighting

With all of that...I get around 19-20 fps in the forests etc, about 24-25 fps in the cities.

Its just sweet when I'm dungeon crawling though...I can turn all shadows, shadow filtering etc to medium...and I still get 30 fps!!

However...I'm still pissed off that I have to tweak the game so heavily just to get it to run, especially considering I've got the recommended specs beat! :grr:

19. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    How do I know how many frames per second I get?

20. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Press ~ to get the console,

Type "tdt" without quotes, to get the fps counter to show.

Its VERY informative about what sort of things are slowing your game down, so you can tweak your game accordingly!

Also...its :yot: but I'm really happy about this so I'll post it anyway. I've been able to retain all my graphics the way they were, and boost my resolution up to 848*560 (the wide screen rez just short of 1024x768)...and it runs crystal clear! I had to spend a day just loading Oblivion and tweaking the ini settings...but it was well worth it. This game is SWEET!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.