1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sorry to ask...

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Locke, Apr 28, 2001.

1. Locke Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well, I just finished this game for the first time, I got it around the same time I got Baldurs Gate 1 and 2, and so waited to finish this one last. I have to say, I think this one was definitly the best, but I do have one question. In the course of the game I heard a reference to something called the "Blood War", and from reading alot on this, it says thats Where the Nameless One goes after all of this..my question is, what exactly is the Blood War, and why does he go there? was it because of the crimes his first incarnation made, or am I missing soemthing..?

2. Capt. Tripps Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Go to the Sensate Temple and listen to the lectures.They pretty much explain it all there.

3. Locke Gems: 1/31

Well, he said thats what the "evil" people have to participate in if they go to the abyss or something to that extent, but he didnt elaborate...

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] In the end the Nameless One says that he will go and fight in the Blood War to atone for all the crimes he has comitted in his previous incarnations. (Most of the incarnations were evil.)

Here's a short take on the Blood War for you:

BLOOD WAR

Most of the fiends are preoccupied with the Blood War, a savage quest for annihilation that ravages the Lower Planes. It's supposed to be a war of tanar'ri against baatezu, but everyone and everything down there seems to be involved. And neither of those "sides" can be trusted, either. A baatezu'll turn stag on his brothers if it'll gain even a little power in the process, and the tanar'ri have always been at odds with each other. In between them all are the gehreleths and the yugoloths, eager to fight for the best-paying side.
    It's a war that's been going on as long as mortals have lived on the planes, and it's a war neither side has yet to win. Nobody even knows what the exact goals of the war are. Genocide's the best guess - the tanar'ri and baatezu'll fight each other until there's none left. Why? What berk understands a fiend's mind, can figure out its depraved depths? Maybe the local powers are playing games and making them fight. Maybe they fight just because they want to. Nobody knows for sure how the war started, but a lot of folks figure the Lady of Pain had something to do with it. Some barmy philosophers claim that she's one of them, a fiend now turned stag against all her own kind. Maybe it's true, and maybe it ain't.
    The only thing known for sure is that the Blood War's a grim blessing to Sigil. Every move on Sigil by one force triggers a reaction from the other side, since both groups are desperately afraid of the other controlling such power. Sure, it makes traveling the Lower Planes dangerous - especially the battlefields of Gehenna and Carceri - but it keeps the fiends busy.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited April 28, 2001).]

5. herf Guest

they are fighting because the tan'nari want lawful evil and the bateezu want chaotic evil and all the gethreleths and trelons and such are all neutral evil.
    comprende?

6. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Herf, it's actually the other way round. :)

When talking to the good incarnation, he explains why you where made immortal. He also explains that he was so evil, that it would be impossible to avoid punishment after death.

7. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Grovflab, but Blood war has anything to do with our Nameless hero. He was there, but his sins doesn't affect it. Blood war will continue no matter Nameless One lives or dies.

8. Locke Gems: 1/31

Hmm..I mean, am I the only one who thinks this game was more deserving of a sequel than the Baldurs Gate series?

9. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

No, but the story can't really continue, they'd have to change the protagonist. And besides, even icewind dale (!) sold more than torment, so they don't get as much money for doing a sequel to torment. Such a shame, the whole planescape setting has lots of potential :(

10. Locke Gems: 1/31

Icewind sold more than Torment? Ah, man...I'm actually playing through Icewind right now, and while it's an...okay game, it's nothing compared to Torment. I don't understand how it wasnt more succesful...and why would they have to change the protagonist? I mean, Nameless is still alive...sort of...where he is, right?

11. Extremist Gems: 31/31

The problem was in marketing management. :mad: :mad:

For PT it was lowsy, and for IWD they kicked ass!

12. Graptor Gems: 1/31

From my understanding from reading these posts, the reason they can't make a sequel is because at the end of it all, Nameless gets a choise to either kill himself or to atone for his past sins by fighting in the Blood War. Either way he eventually reaches the true death and poof- he dies, really. The only way he can come back in a sequel is if they do a story about him as a petitioner. Anyone who's played the actual Planescape knows that petitioners, sadly for us wishing for a sequel, don't have any idea that they were ever "alive" in the mortal sense and they wish only to fuse, become one, with their God. Hope this helped someone.
    :)

13. Extremist Gems: 31/31

But why must the sequel lay on Nameless One's adventures. I wouldn't mind if it is about Annah, or Grace, or Nordom...

So, it could be called i.e in case of Nordom:
    Planescape: Rubikon Rogues

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.