1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sorcerer's Place PoE Item Poll!

Discussion in 'Pillars of Eternity' started by Taluntain, Mar 15, 2014.

?

Which epic item idea described in the thread would you like to see implemented in PoE the most?

1. Subtly Awesome Ring/Amulet/Belt

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Amulet of Random Babbling

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  3. Sorcerer's Hiding Place

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. Board of Magick

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. Marble Chessboard

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  6. Staff of Taluntain

16 vote(s)
    35.6%
  1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The memorial seems like a good place to include Bel and/or Kitrax if that's what people want...

2. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Voted for the ring, love those things and constantly create new ones for NWN. The one I use the most has poison, sickness and level drain/ability drain immunity. How about something like that?

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Isn't the AoLS actually from Planescape:Torment? If so, I don't know if it's such a great idea (or even legal) to use the same name here. Instead, how about the Alley of Lingerie Thighs (also a great way work n the SP thong angle for Tal :p), or maybe the Alley of Dangerous Uncles? :D

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Actually, good points Splunge. Tal - I am not sure that you want to include things like AoLS and High Hedge and whatnot because of the potential IP issues.

5. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I thought of that too. Like I said, starting point. Methinks there might be a complex IP chain such that there won't be any concerns with Obsidian. Who knows?

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yea, definitely can't use those as the forum names are locations from several AD&D games, e.g. Baldur's Gate and Torment, though they can easily be left out. I like the idea overall (with some refinements), would probably need to shorten it though as I doubt there's that much description space available. I'll check on that.

7. Bladezuez

Bladezuez I'm normal in my mind; everyone else is crazy! Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I ended up voting for the chess board cause I happen to like chess. then I read through the posts and actually prefer the staff idea. good call all.

8. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Don't say it like it's a surprise! :p

Bladezuez likes this.
  9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Good lord, it's a complete surprise. I had to pick my lower jaw off the floor . . . .

Bladezuez likes this.
  10. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Love the idea, but do you guys think the deveopers will look at this as "Wow, that item is way overpowered."? ......I know, it's just a starting point, but what level of power are we allowed to come up with? A Basic Magic Item, A Powerful Magic Item or an Artifact-Type Magic Item? Staff of the Magi is Artifact-like in it's abilities. So is a Holy Avenger. A Flame-Tongue Sword is not.

11. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm thinking that those stats would need to be toned down. PoE is not a super high level adventure, and I know Obsidian doesn't want to introduce too many extremely powerful items.

Maybe the item could grow in power based on the level of the user, and eventually reach those off the charts stats only at very high levels.

I also would prefer that the item not be wizard only, but only wizards can unlock its true potential. Perhaps for any other it's just a staff with knockback. This would increase the usability of the item.

12. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    Perhaps it could be designed to change its power in relation to the length game time the player has had it, including the damage to the user, so eventually the weapon becomes unusable to the character because it would kill them easily - if they take a long time to finish the game after finding it?
    Perhaps that could personify the "anyone who has taken up ownership of the staff has met with a grisly end" part of the description?

13. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Interesting thought Shosh. It's not really to my taste from a gameplay perspective. If I find a great item I don't want to feel like there is a clock ticking on how long I can use it. Just wouldn't be overly fun for me.

But I give you points for creativity! :nod:

14. Shoshino

Media:
    Well, there is something I don't like in games, where when I find a powerful weapon, it ends up being my weapon for the rest of the game, limiting all of the other weapons in the game to merely bartering items, so it was a part of my thought process, thats what I liked about ethereal weapons in Diablo 2.

15. dmc

Media:
    How about this - the weapon has a set number of charges, after which it disappears to go back to the tower, or off to create mischief somewhere else, etc.

Then, you can differentiate between a relatively low level usage that does not consume charges, and higher effects that do. The number of charges can be unknown, as well, which adds an element of chaos to it.

Non-charge effects are the same for every class, but charge effects are different for wizards and other classes (not sure if that can be implemented).

So, the base item is something like a +1 staff with knockback, and everything else that Beren listed would consume a certain number of charges and might not be available, depending on the class of the user.

Blades of Vanatar likes this.
  16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm likely going to have to go with some arbitrary decision on what to include because we've first had too many separate item ideas and now too many ideas on what a single item should do. But I've asked Obsidian for clarification on how far exactly does "epic" go in PoE. They'll naturally have the final say with any item and what they can technically implement or even how much time they're actually willing to dedicate to a single item - overly involved mechanics that would require extra programming time to script are probably unlikely, even if they do sound cool. In any event, I'm going to go over everything tomorrow and put together something possibly near-final and after that we need to get some feedback from Obsidian first because it's pointless to spend time on elaborate item abilities only to be told that they can't spend that much time on backer items or that it's not technically feasible for them to implement, or even just not in keeping with their concept of what this type of magic item should be able to do.

Unfortunately this kind of external item design without having any design docs pertaining to item types to look at means pretty much flying blind. I've fired off a mail to Darren a few days ago asking for some clarifications but he hasn't got back to me yet. I expect that they'll start looking at the item surveys in earnest only after the deadline has passed - or that they're too busy with the finalized surveys already.

But certainly only the guy(s) in charge of the items at Obsidian will be able to look at an item and say "that's OK for an epic item" or "that's overpowered" - we can't say for certain. Given that everything else that I've seen about PoE is very similar to the IE games, it's mostly a question of how high a level a character will be able to achieve in PoE without the expansion. If we take the IE games, even the best non-expansion items you could get in the first BG or IWD for instance weren't exactly "epic" when compared to the best BG2/ToB gear. So we may be way off base even with a mildly powerful item by BG2 standards.

17. Shoshino

Media:
    Great, I look forward to seeing what they do with our idea.

18. Marceror

Media:
    Thanks Tal. At a certain point someone just needs to take ownership of finalizing the details, and I'm more than happy for you to be that person. I look forward to seeing the final result.

19. Taluntain

Media:
    Ouch, there's only 500 characters allowed for the item appearance and 1300 for the history. I'm going to have to seriously cut down on the text... I agree with BTA that the references to Kitrax, Sir Bel and Takara are probably best kept for the memorial.

20. Taluntain

Media:
    Uhhhh, this was difficult and time consuming, but I've managed to bring everything within Obsidian's character limits, though much of the history has had to go as there was simply no way to get anywhere near as much story into 1300 characters (the original was closer to 6000). I think this still works, though. I've also toned the stats down somewhat, but we'll have to see what the PoE item overlords have to say about them. Here's the (probably) final concept:

Item Appearance:

Item History:

Item Concept:

Let me know what you all think.

Old One and Blades of Vanatar like this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.