1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sorcerer Spell Picks

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Fizity, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Fizity Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

My sorcerer's lvl 6, ready for lvl 7, with Magic Missile, Sleep, Ice Dagger, Color Spray, Aganazzar's Scorcher, Snilloc's Snowball Swarm and Icelance.

Any suggestions? Or what have you gone with?

2. giridion Gems: 2/31

Fireball is what you have to have, fire arrow is not what it was in BG series, lightning bolt is ok but take it only after these two, oh I almost forgot, haste is one of the best spells be sure to take it but only after fireball. Further in the game you have to have: chain lightning, finger of death, whail of the banshee (don't know if i spelled it corectly). From some posts it is clear that improved invisibility is a great spell but it's not sure if it is a bug that makes it so good. Horrid whiltingis A LOT weaker then in BG2, but it's still good, then there is delayed fireball,... Hope that's helpfull :)

[ September 30, 2002, 10:35: Message edited by: giridion ]

3. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The first fourth level spells I would get are Stoneskin and Mordenkainen's Force Missiles. After that, it would depend on what else you have from your other spellcasters.

Fireball is a very, very good spell to have in a third level slot, as is Hold Person.

4. Blitz Gems: 2/31

Well it depends on your party makeup of course. I have a bard who does all the enchantment type stuff, but I'll assume your sorcerer is solo.

- Level One magic missile and chromatic orb are pretty well the best. Sleep is good, but loses it's power quickly.

- Level Two, I'm a big fan of power word: sleep, and Geldee's Electric Loop. Mirror Image and Melf's are also nice.

- Level Three, Fireball is almost overpowered, it's a no brainer. Dispel Magic is a must, as is slow. I wait for mass haste, too much goodness in level three to waste one on a buff.

- Level 4 - Stoneskin and Force missiles are easily the best of the lot. Watch out for splash damage on your tanks when using force missiles.

- Level 5 you are going to want Hold Monster and Cone of Cold for sure.

Hope this helps.

5. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    This is just my opinion, but you shouldn't take the Haste spell. You should wait to get Improved Haste, unless of course you're soloing.

6. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I love sorcerers. Here are my picks respecting the order I choose them:

1) Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Identify, Larloch's Drain

2) Cat's Grace, Snilloc's Snowballs, Ag's Scorcher, Invisibility

3) Fireball, Haste, Dispel Magic

4) Stoneskin, Improved Invisibility, Mord. Force Missiles

5) Cone of Cold, Sunfire, Animate Dead

6) Acid Storm, Improved Haste

7) Delayed Blast Fireball, Mord. Sword

I haven't reached lvl 8 yet, so none of those.

Have fun!

7. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

That's an interesting list, Modjahed. Rather different than I would do it. This is what I generally get (subject to variation based on party composition, naturally) by the time I'm 16th lvl (the average end of normal).

1: Chromatic Orb, Shield, Magic Missile, Identify, Ice Dagger

2: Melf's Acid Arrow, Web, Snilloc's Snowstorm, See Invisible, Gedlee's Electric Loop

3: Fireball, Lance of Disruption, Hold Person, Slow

4: Beltyn's Burning Blood, Stoneskin, Vitriolic Sphere, Mordenkainen's Force Missiles

5: Feeblemind, Cloudkill, Chaos, Animate Dead

6: Chain Lightning, Improved Haste, Acid Storm

7: Prismatic Spray, Seven Eyes

8: Mind Blank

8. HeartOfDarkness Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

The spells I use most frequently are: Delayed blast fireball,shades,wall of fire(for some reason spellcasters don't seem to move around if you set up a wall of fire under them),chromatic orb,fireball,dominate,mass dominate(I got this from HoF and it works fantastically, coupled with a bunch of shades it's all you will ever need) and charm person

9. giridion Gems: 2/31

Haste gives you +4 to AC and 1 EXTRA attack per round. Improved haste gives you only better movement. It's ONLY advantage is that it is cast on an area. How is it better then?

10. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

Are you sure about that? Because that's not what Mass Haste/Improved Haste says it does. As far as I know, it puts Haste on your entire party.

11. StrahdV Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Improved Invisibility (too powerfull) and Mass Haste are my favorites, and I strangely love the skull trap, I don't know why :D

12. Quint Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Sunfire is definitely one of the best!

I just came out of the fellwood into an area crammed with spiders and snow tolls. My sorceress took them out all at once, by herself!
    I made her walk around the area first (hasted) to attract all the monsters lurking there to her. The nice thing about it is that the more enemies that gather around you, the better!
    Of course I buffed her up to get an AC of 27 plus stoneskin :) But she single-handedly incinerated at least 12 trolls (including 3 shaman trolls) and 6 frost spiders. I wish I had discovered those arrognat uthgarts earlier, or she would have included them too in the massacre!
    She was dealing around 50 points of damage to every monster every time (round), and she had SIX of those lovely sunfire spells. You do the math.
    Really embarassing to the rest of my valiant party members.

Another useful spell is Eagle's Splendor (increases charisma for 1hr/level). So she casts it on herself and gets 11 hours, then she sleeps for 8 hours and when she wakes up, she's got more spells memorized! For another 3 hours!
    Of course this tactic only works when your sorcerer is above level 8.

Oh by the way, she's also a Paladin (1 level), so all those charisma bonuses increase all her saving throws too :)

[ October 11, 2002, 17:12: Message edited by: Quint ]

13. Vehementi Gems: 1/31

People overlook Skull trap and Delayed fireball... the dev's were thinking "well, they're only traps, so let's not give them a damage cap."

and here I am at level 23 doing 23x1d6 damage with a level 3 AOE spell... that I'm immune to because of some cloak.

uNF.

-V

14. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] First thing: I assume this topic is not about a soloing Sorcerer, right?

Then about Skull Trap (a favourite of mine): The advantage it has over Fireball in BG2 (IWD2 still not released here) has always been that it isn't "level capped" and that it deals magic damage instead of fire elemental damage. The drawback is the limited range (is that still the case in IWD2?), which I used to handle by casting Protection from Magic Energy (PfME) on both caster and tanks. Of course this tactic is restricted until you can get 6th level spells (PfME).
    Is there a spell like PfME in IWD2?

15. Leonidas Gems: 1/31

Hello!

I am currently in Severed Hand in HoF mode, my sorc is LvL 27. Here is what I took(I am currently not at home and I don't have a complete list of spells anywhere so there may be some mistakes):

Marked with * are spells I found absolutely vital in HoF:

1: Magic Missile, Chromatic Orb, Shield, Burning Hands, Mage armor
    2: Melf's acid arrow,Snilloc's snowball swarm, Blur, Knock, Eagle's splendor(use this before you go on a spending spree, very useful in HoF since improved items cost TONS of $)
    3: Melf's minute meteors(*), Fireball, Protection from missiles, Web, Dispel Magic
    4: Mordekainen's force missiles, Otiluke's sphere, Stoneskin(*), Improved invisibility(*), Malison(*)
    5: Sunfire, Animate dead(*), Cone of cold
    6: Chain lightning, Mass Haste(*), Globe of Invulnerability
    7: Prismatic spray, Seven eyes, Malavon's rage, Finger of Death(*)
    8: Horrid Wilting, Power word blind(*), symbol of Hopelessness(*), Delayed blast fireball
    9: Executioner's eyes(*), Meteor swarm, Monster summoning IX, Wail of the Banshee(*)

-- Leonidas

[ October 22, 2002, 14:31: Message edited by: Leonidas ]

16. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] What could be good picks for my bard/sorcerer? (I have also wizard in my party)

17. Melestav Gems: 1/31

Both trap spells, skull and fireball work great, while there isn't a "good way" to protect your entire party from the area effect,heres the method i use, simply scout the area, set your rogue in the middle of monsters invis, set traps just outside sight range of monsters, un-invis rogue, run thru traps with monsters just a step behind, avoid all effects with overpowered evasion ability, get xp.

As a side note, a lv 27 sorc with evocation and spirit of flame feats+7 delayed fireballs is REALLY fun.

18. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I just wanted to tell you guys that she's not playing Solo...(yeah, I would know, I talk to her on Trillian every day...)

19. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

If playing in HoF, go for the summoning spells.
    the monsters are just as powerful summoned as the regular vanilla ones are, and it keeps you out of melee combat.

Cheers

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.