1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Song Quote Game 4

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by dmc, Feb 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

You suck my blood like a leech
    You break the law and you preach

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just a little too much deja vu -- it sounds like it's about my ex....

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I listened to Night At The Opera just the other day, so I'm pretty sure it's Queen - Death On Two Legs

4. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Correct.

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    He went to fight wars
    For his country and his king
    Of his honor and his glory
    The people would sing

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Lucky Man - by Ringo Starr

7. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Here I thought that was Emerson, Lake and Palmer. I had no idea Ringo had done that song.

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Chandos, you're probably right. I don't remember Ringo and his All Starr Band doing very many original numbers, mostly covers.

9. Splunge

Media:
    ELP - Lucky Man it is.

Chandos is up.

10. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Sorry, I took so long. I didn't realize I was up till now.

And I swear there’s nothing in it
    But still the wheels keep turning round
    And like some old persistent spirit, yeah
    This one will take some driving out
    Cold and sharper than a knife.

11. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I don't know why, but this doesn't even ring the faintest bit of a bell.

12. Chandos the Red

Media:
    OK, they were an English, 80s band. And never had much popular success here in the US, but lots of critical success. This particular song, and its 12", were produced by the late Robert Palmer.

[ April 25, 2005, 03:59: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

13. RuneQuester Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I just KNOW I am going to be kicking myself in the head when this one is revealed. I first thought of Duran Duran because of Palmer's association with them(via The Power Station) but they had reams of popular success here.

14. Chandos the Red

Media:
    It was at about the same time that Palmer was working with Power Station, maybe just a few months after he left the project.

[ April 25, 2005, 02:37: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

15. RuneQuester Gems: 9/31

*Cycles through every Morrisey sung song he can think of including the Smiths stuff and comes up with nothing(and also remembers that Morrisey and the Smiths WERE popualr here).

That hint about them being english and 80's pop and having critical success here SHOULD have given this damn thing away! I am now mentally floundering in New Order/Joy Division, Oingo Boingo, XTC...argh!

16. Sticker Gems: 9/31

The Jam? Although I don't think palmer produced any of their stuff.

17. RuneQuester Gems: 9/31

I don't think I ever heard of 'The Jam' so if you are right that explains why the lyrics don't ring a bell over here with me.

Edit: Though it would be a rare band indeed who had ANY sort of success in America without me at least having heard ONE of their songs before. I have a pretty good working knowledge of pop trivia and especailly musical pop trivia.

18. Chandos the Red

Media:
    The Jam were awesome, but that's not them.

Joy Division - You're really close, as they are often compared to them. They were part of the same scene as Def Leopard, ABC, Human League, etc. A good hotbed for 80s music. Someone here, who is from England, has to know who they are, I would think.

Edit: Here's another big hint: All the above bands (but not Joy Division) are from the same city - Sheffield, England.

Ok, that's not really a great hint. This one is more interesting: Some would know them from a song they had in an 80s movie.

[ April 27, 2005, 04:37: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

19. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

There were quite a lot of films in the 80s, Chandos... You couldn't tell us who starred in it or something, just to narrow down the field a bit?

20. Sticker Gems: 9/31

Hmmm... Police Academy (or was that the 90's), Top Gun, Mighty Wings... no... another wild guess: The Cure? I'm totally ignoring all hints except that it's an 80's band from the UK. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.