1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Song Quote Game 3

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by dmc, Sep 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    OK. Walking in Memphis. I know Cher sang it but I think it was written by a guy.

Good enough?

2. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

That guy was Marc Cohn. The original song by him is just beautiful.

But I'm just being nitpicky, I don't need the turn.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Man, I really don't like Cher (notice I put "blue as a boy can be")....

Walking in Memphis by Marc Cohn -- it was recently covered by a country band (also not nearly as good as Cohn).

I'm not picky, DMC or Mesmero -- whoever comes on first -- take the next one.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I don't wanna live here no more,
    I don't wanna stay
    Ain't gonna spend the rest of my life,
    Quietly fading away

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Games People Play - Alan Parsons Project.

6. dmc

Media:
    Right.

7. T2Bruno

Media:
    the suicide squeeze is on
    here he comes, squeeze play, it's gonna be close
    here's the throw, here's the play at the plate
    holy cow, i think he's gonna make it

8. Mesmero

Meatloaf - Paradise by the Dashboard Light

9. T2Bruno

Media:
    Wow, that was fast. I know it wasn't much of a challenge, but I really like that song.

Paradise by the Dashboard Lights is correct.

10. Mesmero

The song isn't bad, but when you have already heard it a gazillion times, you sometimes get tired from it. But it is still a classic of course.

Anyway, it is that time of the year, so I'll post some appropriate lyrics:

Each time I remember the day you went away
    And how I wouldn't listen to the things you had to say
    I just break down as I look around and the only things I see
    Are emptiness and loneliness and an unlit Christmas tree

11. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    random guess since it kinda rhyms.

East 17 - stay another day?

12. Mesmero

Nope. And I thought this one wouldn't be too hard.

EDIT: Well, maybe it isn't easy for the American visitors of SP, because as I understood it, this band isn't really well known at that side of the big pond. But I did expect it to be a bit of a softball for a Brit.

EDIT again: As there aren't any takers, I'll try to make it a little easier. This band had their biggest hits in the mid 70's. Even though they are English, imagine the lines I gave you are sung by Elvis Presley.

[ December 18, 2004, 11:49: Message edited by: Mesmero ]

13. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, just in the interest of bumping this:

The Beatles - Santa Claus Is Coming To Town

(I know this isn't right - I don't think they even recorded this song - but the 24 hour clock starts now. :p )

14. Mesmero

You're not getting away with it that easily. ;)

As a last attempt, I will post the beginning of this song. If it isn't guessed within 24 hours, I will post some new lyrics to get this game rolling again.

Try to imagine, a house that's not a home
    Try to imagine, a Christmas all alone
    That's where I'll be
    Since you left me
    My tears could melt the snow
    What can I do, without you
    I've got no place, no place to go

I'm certainly not posting a Christmas song ever again.

15. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

I'll be lonely this Christmas.
    Without you to hold...

Heard it played in the shops over the weekend & I guess the song is "Lonely this Christmas" but, alas, no name for the band.

16. Mesmero

The band was Mud, but your answer is good enough, I'm just glad somebody got it. It was a number one hit in England and Holland in 1974, and probably in other places in Europe as well, so I didn't think it would take this long for somebody to get it.

17. Carcaroth

Can't say I've heard of them, and "74 was before even I was born.
    I resisted the temptation to put another Christmas song in.

She'll provide you with drinks
    and theatrical winks
    For a sky-high fee

and her skirts were in style
    when she danced down the aisle
    Back in '63

But it's hard to get by
    when your arse is the size
    Of a small country

OK scrap that one, it was National Express by Divine Comedy.

Lets try a Christmas themed one instead.

Come and trim my Christmas tree
    With some decorations bought at Tiffany's
    I really do believe in you
    Let's see if you believe in me
    Boo doo bee doo

[ December 23, 2004, 10:23: Message edited by: Carcaroth ]

18. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, I think the song is Santa Baby (or something like that), but as to the artist, the only one I can think of is either Cyndi Lauper or Madonna (I'm not sure which one - it's on a Christmas compilation album), but that's as close as I can get.

19. Carcaroth

Orriginally sang by Ertha Kitt, but Madonna's version was a lot better.

You're up Splunge,

Merry Christmas ho ho ho.

20. Splunge

Media:
    We skipped the light fandango
    Turned cartwheels ’cross the floor
    I was feeling kinda seasick
    But the crowd called out for more

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.