1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Song Quote Game 2

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by dmc, May 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I just did a Google search.

It was written by Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong.

From what I could figure out, Gladys Knight and the Pips were the first to have it in the charts in 1967. Marvin Gaye made it famous in 1968. CCR did their version in 1976.

So, assuming the above is correct, I guess we're both right, Mesmero, but it's your call. Are you going to let my answer (and subsequent lyrics) stand, or do you want to post again, since I didn't actually wait for your response before I posted my new lyrics?

2. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

You gave a correct answer and your lyrics should stand, and after all, Marvin Gaye became most famous with the song.

I must admit that I always thought CCR was first, but you are correct, Marvin Gaye had an album with the same name in 1968, and CCR didn't publish it until 1970 on 'Cosmo's Factory'.

This is actually pretty disturbing as I always tried to convince people it isn't a Marvin Gaye song. Oh well, CCR's version is still the better in my opinion :)

3. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Stevie Wonder - Superstition.

I like to dream
    Yes, yes right between the sound machine
    On a cloud of sound I drift in the night
    Any place it goes is right

Easy!

4. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

"Magic Carpet Ride" by Steppenwolf.

Whatever happened to Leon Trotsky
    He got an icepick that made his ears burn
    Whatever happened to dear old Lenin
    The Great Elmyra and Sancho Panza

5. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] The Stranglers - no more heroes

I'm just the oily slick
    on the windup world of the nervous tick
    in a very fashionable hovel

6. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Not a clue...but it's been over 24 hrs, and I invoke the right of the IJ.

I'll try to make this a toughy...but I suspect that Sarevok might know this one anyway :p .

It's the honesty of these worlds
    Ruled by magic and mighty swords
    That makes my soul long for the past

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Faerus, you're not allowed to invoke the IJ rule in this case. We're following the same rules as the Quote Game, where the 24 hour IJ rule can only be used if someone doesn't post lyrics when it's their turn to do so, or if someone makes a guess and is not confirmed correct or incorrect within 24 hours.

Here, we have to wait for Sarevok to post a hint or new lyrics. But her better hurry. :p

8. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Her? :toofar:

Clue -

His first name is Elvis. Not the real Elvis though

9. Splunge

Media:
    Oops! Sorry about that! I actually typed "he", but I guess my finger slipped and also hit the key to the right of the 'e'. No offense intended. (I'm such a crappy typist.) :o

Anyway, I'm guessing it's not Elvis Stoyko (the Canadian figure skater) :p , so it must be Elvis Costello. No idea on the song though.

10. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Though it probably doesn't matter, Faerus' quote is "Elvenpath" by Nightwish.

11. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Elvis Costello yes but what is the tune

12. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] :yot:
    Woopsy! Sorry boys and girls...my bad. Silly IJ rules...

And though it doesn't matter...Xei Win Toh's correct :p ...too bad the IJ rule didn't apply... :shake:

13. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Sarevok's song is Beyond Belief by Elvis Costelo and the Attractions.

Here's a new one:

There was a time, I'm sure you heard it all before.
    When I felt like I have walked throught all the doors.
    I have no time for things that I now hold so dear.
    My ego held my hand and whisper in my ear.

14. Splunge

Media:
    Hint, please

15. nior Gems: 24/31

The group's music is somewhere in between Swing Out Sister and a downtempo Matt Bianco, with a little Sade thrown in. Sort of coffee-table soul and smooth jazz band and kind'a hesitant to work . The title is the same as one of Stevie Wonder's song. By the way, it's a late 90's song and when they recorded this song, they were Britons and Aussie.

16. Splunge

Media:
    I think you should either give more hints, or post a new set of lyrics. ;)

17. nior Gems: 24/31

Actually, I did. In fact, I posted the answers too. But it's in another thread that has something in common with this one... if you get the drift. ;)

18. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Er.... What Nior? Try posting it in this one. Anyway, why dont you start us going again Splunge.

19. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Lately by Workshy

(Never heard of them, but you posted it in the song stuck in head thread...)

20. nior Gems: 24/31

Finally, Aikanaro got it. Man, I can't believe you haven't heard of the group. I mean the song may be hard but the group is still alive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.