1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sometimes I just want some linearity

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 1-4' started by The mad haggis, Mar 3, 2006.

1. The mad haggis Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Only played this game for a few weeks before my PC crashed. When I got my new PC I couldn't be bothered to install this game. I really need to be in the mood to play this game. It's just too huge. So many options I hate missing anything. Maybe I'll just download every walkthrough I can find, read them all, then install and play without referencing. This may give me a better view of the world. I'm thinking spellsword sign of the lady.

2. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

I know what you mean. The best way to counter that is to pick a specific chain of quests (eg Balmora mages) and do all those quests, before picking another chain. That creates some structure to what you're doing.

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Same here; I can't play if there isn't a good, solid story driving me forward. Morrowind isn't just huge; it's scattered. You can do a lot of different things, but these things do not have any other value expect "just doing them." It's pretty boring...

4. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Interesting perspective. It seems that the source of your conflict is the desire to not miss stuff and the desire to have a clear plot that moves along nicely. Morrowind definately poses a problem in that case.

If you just follow the main plot (or any subplot, as suggested above) then I believe you will find it fairly straightforward. If you wish to look under every rock (like me) then it will take some time and patience.

I simply loved running through the countryside finding everything that I could. There was so much to see and do, but very little of it is really required to complete the main storyline. It is the game that Daggerfall (also a superb game) tried to be and Ultima 9 so desperately wanted to be.

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I actually like the way Morrowind is built. I can tell you there's a downside, of course, in the form of having to do simple quests when you're quite high-level. But the latter does have a good side to it in the form of letting you feel your power, relax a bit, enjoy the quick advancement in a guild as it quickly opens its eyes to your competence. ;)

Sometimes the number of problems crying for solving is overwhelming, though.

The bad thing about exploring the countryside is town quests becoming too easy. But then it doesn't hurt to have slightly more power than you really need for your quests. Sometimes I just don't want to run around too much between towns because of the distance - which is normally a factor I like. ;)

6. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

[spoiler alert]

You should be aware that there are some "conflicts" to keep in mind if you want to play the game and do everything.

As you probably know, you can only join one of the great houses, although if you join Telvanni you'll eventually have the option to capture both the Hlaalu and Redoran strongholds.

There's also a conflict with the main story and the Temple quests. You reach a point where you're essentially in defiance of the Temple and they become hostile toward you. Finish your Temple quests before seeking to be named Hortator of any of the great houses.

Some of the Morag Tong writs will call on you to assasinate people you might need for other quests.

There's a conflict between the Thieves Guild and the Fighters Guild...if you complete the Fighters Guild codebook quest you'll be stopped from further Thieves guild activities.

There's an advancement glitch in House Telvanni that happens when you seek to recruit a mouth...if you're above the rank of Spellwright, you won't be able to advance past Master.

Don't forget the whole sub-plot of becoming a vampire and the three different clans you can join as one. There are even several unique items you can only obtain as a vampire.

Just a few of the conflicts that I could think of off the top of my head. I think you might actually find the game to be more fun if you join clans and factions that seem to be in keeping with your character...then play through again with a totally different character. There's even more than one way to complete the main quest.

7. chevalier

Media:
    You can complete the book quest without bloodshed, so I don't think that should thwart your advancement. But I'm not sure, so read a bit on some fansites to find out if you want to be certain...

8. Hacken Slash

Yeah...often times it's not a matter of whether you've completed a quest, but how you chose to complete it. When in doubt, never kill someone needlessly.

9. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

It's very possible to complete the main quest and the Temple. I did all of the main quest before I'd finished the first (very long) temple quest, and I still managed to finish the temple. It's all about not killing ordinators in the Vivec quests. The temple (I think) won't give you quests once the Urushilaku name you Nerevarine until Dagoth Ur dies, though.

I enjoy both linear and freeform games, but for different reasons. Linear ones tend to have a stronger plot, since the designers don't have to write so many branches, but with a freeform game it's easier to relate to the character, since he's made the choices you decided. With Morrowind, it's more of the latter, and it's much more about creating your own narrative for your actions.

10. chevalier

Media:
    Ah, and regarding the Thieves and Fighters guild conflict,
    you can go to Ald'Ruhn and meet the guild steward Percus Mercius, former head of guild, who will tell you more about other stewards' dubious quests and suggest better solutions

11. Hacken Slash

That's what I meant without being too spoilerish ;)

12. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Morrowind is something special. I like to explore every inch of the place, and came close.

My nice has played, and is playing, the game now for four years on a daily bases. I could not find any other rpg game that she liked. The questing freedom makes it special and one of a kind.

We are counting the days until the european release.

13. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Then why don't you then just go outside, walk to the nearest forest, and look under the closest bush? Or travel to a summer/winter cabin and explore the fields? Take a swim in the lake or row along the islands? Fish and take a sweat at sauna? Even in cities it's as easy as straying from the beaten path and seeing what's behind the next corner and it beats doing the same in virtual world... Plus, you get some excercise.

14. The mad haggis Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Small problem wordplay, I live in Scotland and it is bloody freezing outside. So I'll just turn the heating on full, grab a mug of tea and a plate of biscuits. And play indoors like a sane person. But come summer I'll take your advise.

15. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I also enjoyed the fact that the world of Morrowind was so encompassing but I didn't like the quest journal. I think if it had been a little better organized with sub-headings etc. like in NWN then it would have been a lot more pleasurable to play in a non-linear way. Having everything written right after the last entry made it difficult go back and find long unfinished quests to go back and finish.

16. chevalier

Media:
    Do you have the expansions installed? They make a change there and it doesn't look so bad, although still difficult to browse. Wish one could arrange it by locations or something.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.