1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Something for discussion

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Hacken Slash, Oct 29, 2004.

1. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

@ BTA:

Even as a nominal Christian, I have no desire to slavishly attach my values to those of an institution which I feel is not 100% relevant to me. I don't think there needs to be division of religion based on doctrine and observation - I think that these things have polluted the ideals of Christianity. Of course, that's entirely subjective, and since I work off the eleventh Commandment (IIRC, towards the end of the Book of John) as the basic principle of Christian faith, people are welcome to criticise me. Even so, Kerry's point that his faith should not be imposed on everybody is a perfectly valid one - what's right for me isn't necessarily right for you, so what right do I have to force a belief on those who do not share it?

In a nutshell: you can believe in the principles of a faith, but not always agree with it. To expect followers of a religion to unquestioningly accept everything the Church says is to blindly accept the word of human beings and a human institution who acts as the voice of God, but which has no evidence of a link to the divine (and yes, I am familiar with aspects of papal history and selection). If you are comfortable with that, more power to you. I am not.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    It isn't a social issues as much as it is a product of a free thinking mind. I used my family and my wife's family as an example. However, having been an altar boy and all, I've met dozens upon dozens of Catholics, and know a great many personally. All I'm saying is that far more Catholics are like me - they consider themselves followers of the religion, but don't believe things like birth control are wrong. There is a much smaller subset who are more like Chev. I'm not saying one way is right and one way is wrong. If I were to place a reason on this I would have to say that most people like myself beleive the Catholic Church is way behind on the times, and that we cannot embrace it fully until it brings itself at least into the 20th century, if not the 21st.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.