1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Some questions about KOTOR

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Series' started by Clixby, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

- is putting feats in Implants worth it?

- What's the best class for becoming a Consular? The most obvious choice seems to be Scoundrel, but I was hoping for some other opinions.

2. Mongerman Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I tend to start off with sentinal up to lvl 4 no matter what jedi class I choose. You'll get implants lvl 2 for free, and some of the later implants add a hefty +4 to a stat. A scoundrel's advantage is sneak attack and high defense, but if you're frying your enemies across the room with force lightning both wont really come into play

3. Killjoy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

No, implants are worthless for CHARNAME in the KOTOR games, and mainly for your NPC followers.

For base class, consular makes the most sense from a stats/prime requisite perspective, but if it bothers you that much, try one of the other 2 base classes. It's not like there are a ton of other options to lose yourself in.

4. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Implants are not useless, they can add a significant chunk to your defensive stats. Everything has it's value, and every bit helps.

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Implants can be useful, I've never really used them for my PC though. I always like going from soldier to consular. I like my PC to be able to fight for himself if needed.

6. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Thanks for the replies.

Now, I've got another question: does a character still gain XP from battle if they have been incapacitated during the fight?

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

yes. all the characters gain experience at a certain rate relative to the PC iirc. that's why even if you never use one character then suddenly use him much later in the game, all the exp has stacked and he's got a whole lot of level-ups despite never having set foot out of the ebon hawk.

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    If you want a consular build and implants, go scout. Scouts get implant feats for free and they get a lot of skill points and nice saves. My character was a scout/consular and I enjoyed the game quite a lot. I pwned Malak in melee combat, so it's not like I had to apply elaborate survival tactics. ;) Flurry from scout is a good thing, although some people prefer Power Attack. My optimal fighting style was Master Flurry with Master Duelling and Master Speed, giving me a nice total of 4 attacks per round with a single lightsabre, at +1 to hit and +1 to AC (Master Duelling gives +3 to each and Master Flurry carries a -2 penalty to each also, leaving you with a net +1). Of course, you could try Master Dual Wielding with Master Flurry, but -4 to hit and -2 to AC isn't probably worth the additional attack per round. I'd rather have 4 attacks at +1 to hit than 5 at -4. ;)

Soldier/consular is also a solid build, with the maximal amount of hit points and force points possible. It should also have more feats than scout/consular, although barely. This is a combination for Power Attack fans who don't care for skills that much. I would suggest building on Power Attack and taking the dual wielding feats and the Master Speed force power to maximise damage.

[ October 21, 2006, 17:13: Message edited by: chevalier ]

9. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I really like skills, so I played with scout/sentinel. Didn't have many problems... and implants can be useful. Heck, you have a slot, might as well use it.

As for consulars... everything helps to be honest. They are low hp, low skill pts class, so they can use both the HP/BAB of the soldier or the skills of scout or scoundrel.

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Soldier/Consulars own the game imo. Stun->Chop "Next?" ;)

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Actually Stun->Chop is really good for a Scoundrel due to the sneak attack damage bonus :)

12. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    I find that mixing opposites works best in KOTOR. A dual wielding scoundrel/guardian hits with two sneak attacks on his first strike and sneak attacks like mad when employing the critical strike feat (bonus attacks from force speed don't apply iirc). The scoundrel's weak fortitude save is also canceled out by the guardian's strong one. Soldier levels make the most sense for a consular, since the consular really hurts for feats compared to the other two Jedi Classes. The higher BAB rate of the soldier will also balance out the consular's lower BAB. and the fortitude save bonus really helps the consular. You end up with a much more diverse skill set since the game treats the skills from both your classes as class skills. The sentinel is more flexible, but probably goes best with the soldier, too. Sure, the scout has great saves, but the sentinel is becomes automatically immune to most of what you would need to save against. The extra hitpoints, feats, and BAB are much more useful than the saves or implants, and the sentinel already has a tremendous skill set.

Mechanically, a scoundrel/guardian is the strongest class in the game. Consulars and sentinels will always be gimped by fewer force points and powers unless you meta-game by level squatting. The force jump/sneak attack combination is the most effective way to end combat quickly, costs no force points, and works the entire game. To make a truly strong light side sentinel or consular without level squatting, you're usually best off selecting defensive force powers and feats and restricting yourself to only one or two de-buffs.

For a dark-sider? Uh... level squat, play a consular, and start with a scout for the free flurry and implants. The class really won't matter all that much, but you'll be hurting for feats.

EDIT: wow -- talk about necromancy. Sorry about that.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.