1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Soloing vs Partying

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Arutha, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Parvini Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Oh this naiive Australian thinking. Many spells by pass Magic resistances and I will re-iterate that Khaz has merely failed to use his Clerics and Mages effectively. Many spells also level up with experience. Magic missile is awesome by ToB, I could kill an enemy (such as drow) with a triple Magic Missle attack (with 3 mages). The elemental (as in fire, ice etc.) spells are handy too especially against Fire Giants and in WK. I don't think I could have completed the game without this reliance on Magic. With a Cleric dualled at lvl14 to a Mage, Korgan, Sarevok, Viconia, Jan and Edwin I guess the party would be Magic based. Granted some spells have become obsolete but that's less than half of them I'd say. Some offensive spells I couldn't live without: Magic Missle, Death (it saves so much time), Finger of Death, Summon Mountain Bears, Summon Fallen Deva/ Planetar, Summon Greater Elemental, Bolt of Glory, Sunray, Abazigal's Horrid Wilting, Modekethin's Sword, Dragon's Breath, Time Stop, Comet, Acid Arrow, Fire Arrow (this can be so powerful), Chormatic Orb (can kill in ToB), Skull Trap (although in cheesy tactics vs. Final guardians in WK), Chain Lightning (against Air elementals and Dragons), Bigby's... (I could actually live without these two), Summon Nisheru/ Haekesha, Storm of Vengence, Wail of the Banshee... need I go on?

This is not to mention all the Cleric's Bless or protection type spells (Chant, aid, negative plane etc.) and Raise Dead.

Add all the above to what Khaz already uses Mages for: remove protection/ resistence spells and then add neutral spells like Haste, Clairvoyance (much better than traipsing round), True Sight, Obselik's Resiliant Sphere etc. and what more could you want for a Mage?

I think half the reason for Khaz's misgivings is the fact that he understands what THACO is and it's messed his mind up ;)

2. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Don't be so quick to judge. Not everything I do is stated in a single post. But let's not get off topic, because this is not meant to be "I'm a better player than you mud slinging match".

I have been soloing a number of human dual classes. Beserker thief, beserker druid and beserker mage. I pick beserker because it has the nice enrage that makes immunity to maze, imprisonment, hold etc.

When I was soloing as a thief I felt good that I could get xp from traps and locks, but felt bad about selling scrolls. As a mage I likes scribing scrolls for xp. As a druid I could do neither.

So I think that I'll have to go for the good old, Fighter, Mage, Thief and see how it goes. I won't need to worry too much about healing if I can steal Ribald's regeneration ring...

Next I'll try a beserker cleric...

I have found soloing slightly easier in the sense that levels are quicker and combat is less "large" since the view is smaller, but I find the lack of company rather dry. That's what made BG2 better than IWD.

Anyway, where's that FMT?

[ August 18, 2002, 05:12: Message edited by: Khazraj ]

3. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

partying couse i canĀ“t live with that Viconia is burned at a stake as we speak... plus she is my favorite character...

4. Greystar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Yes, soloed is actually easier, but it's annoying because you can't carry much on your own (till you get bag of holding), and it's quite hard in some mod. Btw, my favorite char is F/M/T

[ August 22, 2002, 16:23: Message edited by: Pal ]

5. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Khazraj
    when you played berserker/druid how much THAC0 did you get?
    I'm thinkin of playing it with dualwieldin scimitars(grand mastery) Belm +2. Do you think that would work out?

6. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Soloing is a whole lot faster. I also find it easier because the character gets all the stuff, all the xp and all your attention. That one character becomes a well oiled machine by necessity.

In human hands which do you think is more powerful vs the computer? Six level 10 characters or one level 18? :idea:

7. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Gothmog.

It will all depend on which level you dual at. I dualled at level 12. I had a base thaco of 9, -2 for strength of 18-62 and -2 for belm. 5 was the thaco or there abouts.

Oops! I had forgotten grand mastery in scimitars so there is another +3 bonus making end thaco about 2.

I did what you suggest, dual wield Belm and Rashad's Talon, or Gnasher and Blackblood Clubs. I also want to dual wield staff maces! I don't know why, it's just so different.

[ August 25, 2002, 05:50: Message edited by: Khazraj ]

8. Haohmaru Khan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I went solo with a elven F/M/T imported from BG1. It was so easy that I do not play with a party anymore... :cool:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.