1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Soloing Icewind Dale, a fool's quest?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Apeman, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I've read some posts in the past about how difficult it is to solo this game. I am currently playing a fighter mage thief and I'm having a blast so far. I just finished of Yxonomei and am currently at level 8-9-11 with two levels coming up soon.

Tell me did you solo this game and was it easy or hard. I am going to push this through to HoW and Totlm. What are the difficult fights when doing solo?

[ September 09, 2004, 15:18: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Djieff Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I am soloing right now also with a F-M-T (it's actually my first run through IWD). I'm at the Severed Hand and so far the only part where I had serious trouble was Kresselack's tomb. The Troll level of Dragon's Eye was also kinda hard, but not overwhelmingly so.

The lack of healing can be a pain in the ass sometimes, but using the Giving Star helps a little in that department. If there's a ring of regeneration somewhere I hope I don't miss it!

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Good luck. There are some tough battles ahead. I can't call it a "fools quest" as of yet, having never tried this myself, but I'm sure you'll be able to comment on that soon enough!

4. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Well the only battle I'm not looking forward to is the final battle of How and the final battle of Totlm.

I'm also at the severed hand now, Yxonomei was never easier.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Actually, I always felt that Yxonomei was somewhat of a disappointment. She's the first "big" boss you have to fight, and I was prepared for somewhat of a "coming of age" test, and I flat out dropped her quick. There were several battles not inovlving bosses that I felt were much more difficult that her.

6. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

IIRC Yxonomei was one of the hardest bosses when the game came out and got patched a little later. I remember the first time I had to fight her and I hadn't a chance against her and I needed a very very lucky chromatic stun on her to finish her off.

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I remember Yxonomei being very tough because the number of weapons of sufficient enchantment to hit her to be found at that point were extremely limited.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Exactly. I had an insane amount of problems killing her just because everyone had to have enchanted (+2 even, I think) weapons to hit her.

9. Djieff Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

It's even +3, IIRC.

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    It is +3. But in the hints thread I read, I found out that for missile weapons it's +3 cumulative between the launcher and the missile. So if you have a +1 short bow, and +2 arrows, you can hit her. Or conversely, if you have a +2 bow (and there are at least two such weapons available at this point) and +1 arrows you can hit her.

All told, I was able to get 4 of my characters equipped with something that could do damage:

2 had +2 long bows and +1 arrows
    1 had a +1 sling and +2 bullets
    1 had Conlan's Hammer, which has a special ability in that it can hit everything despite the fact that it is listed as a +2 weapon

11. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Well my multi talented character finished her off with the messanger of sseth, which you get form the high archer, and the +2 arrows. Messenger of sseth fires 4 arrows the round.

12. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I definitely have to try soloing then! My last party was Ranger (extra attack with one handed weapons), Fighter/Druid and Thief/Illusionist.

I never was a great fan of Fighter/Thief/Mage though... Do you think it can be done with a Thief/Mage (Thief/Illusionist perhaps ;) ) or a Fighter/Mage/Cleric...

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Having a thief seems to me to be just about essential. As a dungeon crawl, there are traps all over the place. So while a f/m/c may not work, a t/m, t/i or a f/m/t should work. Quite honestly, you should be OK without a cleric, as you don't have anyone to share healing potions with.

14. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

There are a lot of traps in the game.
    Not all of them are avoidable. So they must be set off. This can mean a lot of HP lost or other deliberating effects for which, it may not be possible to heal.

Having a thief becomes almost necessary.

15. Sevarus Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I had an easy time soloing a paladin through the game.

An essential tip to anyone who wants to solo: USE MISSILE WEAPONS! This is a must, especially at lower levels. When one hit from an orc can nearly kill you, you'll want to be as far away as possible. However, by the end of the game when you are a level thirty killing machine, feel free to wade in with shield and sword and obliterate everything in your path.

The hardest part for me would be a tie between the orc caverns at the beginning of the game and the last level of Dragon's Eye, trying not to run over the traps.

In short, soloing Icewind Dale is most certainly NOT a fool's quest, it is quite doable.

16. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

@sevarus

Did you have Trials of the luremaster installed and thus engage in the final battle with the luremaster himself? I had a load of problems with him with a full party. Reloaded about 20 times and when I had him only 2 chars were still alive.

17. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Fighter-mage-clerics are actually quite good when soloing, since you can use both mage and cleric spells (but you are limited to cleric weapons)

Sanctuary is very useful spell. It is like invisibilty, but first level spell. And you can turn undead while you have sanctuary.

There aren't so many deadly traps, and you can protect your character with various cleric spells before launching them.

I even tried soloing single class cleric, but that was too hard (I retired in Dragon's eye). Her thac0 was just too low... maybe dual-classed fighter/cleric could work.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.