1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Solo: Where to Go First?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Caspian, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Thor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Apparantly, it's the other way around, check out shrikants post further up. Thief stronghold first, Nalia afterwords. Catch is, you can't install Baldurdash, that'll fix the bug :p

However, the thief stronghold is so ridiculously easy to get, and if you really don't want it you can turn it down. so it would be a good place to go next anyway! Loads of EXP, and mostly go-fetch missions. Rayic Gethras can be a bit of a hassle though, but you should manage.

2. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Hmmm, but Badurdash fixes so much stuff that many think its essential :) Considering having two strongholds is a bug... I say install it ;)

3. Jathszu Khatharua Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

IMHO Baldurdash fixpack is essential. And if you want two strongholds use SK (exploiting bug, cheating, it's all the same).

4. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

:rolleyes: He's playing "solo" as in "one." Besides, as a F/M/T, he can scribe his own spells.

If you want to be ultra cheesy, and take some fun out of your game, I believe you can hit the SoA XP cap by buying a few potions of Master Thievery and a potion of Genius, pickpocket every scroll in the Adventurers Mart and the Scroll seller (at the north end of the Promenade), and then memorize every scroll.

Like I said, it's extremely cheesy, and will take a lot of the fun out of your game.

5. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

@Klorox: Solo is a state of mind. (I don't need their help!) I've played solo with NPCs just to keep my XP down; it's a much more challenging solo with less XP. Just because they're along for the ride doesn't mean they ever do anything. And if I want to change map areas, I just Ctrl+J the NPCs over to my PC and go.

Likewise, letting an NPC join just long enough to get XP out of them can be justified as a learning experience: to see how the NPC mages scribe various spells and perfect your own method. Sure it's cheesy, but some people like cheese, so it won't necessarily take the fun out of the game for everybody. :rolleyes:

Not to mention that it's very satisfying to get all 16 NPCs in a room together (not the CC, too many civilians) and nuke the lot of 'em. :evil:

6. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I like mouldy blue cheese, but dont like smokey or cheddar cheese much..... moral:

some cheeses are suitable for a persons palette, some aren't.

7. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Well said, Malovae! :thumb:

My rule of thumb for soloing is using NPCs in combat isn't soloing, because sometimes people force their way in to the party for the purpose of quest rewards (or you hit the wrong dialog item, whatever), or have items you want (e.g. Imoen's wand and potions in BG1), and it saves time and effort pickpocketing them. After all, if you're RPing a CG character, you can't really justify killing Valygar, so taking the short ride from his house to the Planar Sphere is perfectly kosher, IMHO.

After all, if you take out Mogadish, Entu et al on your lonesome, it's hardly breaking some sacred soloers oath of you happen to run into a few bandits on the way.

8. Caspian Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hey all, I had an interesting little experience with double items hunting down the CF. If you're interested check out my other post ("2 Celestial Fury's). I searched the forums but did find any similiar topics.

@Klorox, I definitely exploited scribing scrolls for XP (and to get a nice range of spells). Anything I can do to get my cat up to par...

9. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Well...the thing with soloing is that you COULD do all those things you normally do, but you dont NEED to.

You get oodles of xp anyway, so you're like at the cap before you know it...now if you're playing WITHOUT the xp cap... :evil:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.