1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Solo Monk: Vampires kick my booty!

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Klorox, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

How do you fight these bloodsuckers when you can't wear the amulet of power????

Any suggestions are welcome.

2. Mr C Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Uhhh... Monks can wear it. (If I'm thinking of the right amulet-the one Aran Linvail gives you that protects from level drain).

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    IIRC...my monk is currently wearing it as my party is asulting Bhodi's lair for the second time.

Monk's can't wear armor or helmets, and they can't use two handed weapons...they *can* wear amulets and those little lune stones. :rolling:

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

How can a monk wear it? I thought AoP was for spellcasting classes only? I know there's a fix so rangers and pallys can wear it, but did somebody do something like that for a monk?

5. Klorox

My Monk can NOT equip this thing. It even says "Not usable by Monk"

6. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

What it says is
    And looking at it via Cromwell's Smithy, the only classes that can't use it are Fighter, Fighter/Thief, Ranger, Paladin, and Thief. Monks can still use it.

7. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Paladins, Rangers, and Barbarians can't use it. I wouldn't be at all surprised if monks can't either.

I'll make it usable by monks in the next RPGD Item Pack.

8. Felinoid

Barbarians can use it too. (Again, CS.)

9. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Monks can also use useful wands like Monster Summoning,Fire, Cloudkill, Lightning, Frost etc. If you solo, these help TREMENDOUSLY!

WHY, just summon some cannon fodders and then blast away lightning bolts. URGH vampires are resistant to lightning and cold so try fire instead?

HOPE this helps...

10. kuemper Gems: 31/31

@klorox - Do you have the Baldurdash ToB Post-Patch FixPack 1.12? Here's what it says about the AoP:

This is where my reply was coming from. Without this patch, I don't have a clue.

11. Felinoid

I don't have the baldurdash fixpack, so barbarians and monks can still wear it in my game.

@Klorox:
    Maybe if you uninstalled the fixpack, your monk will be able to use it. :hmm:

12. Koki Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Monks can use Scrolls, yes? Well Prot. from Undead may be cheesy, but Restoration should help...

13. Mr C Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Monks can wear the amulet. Have just checked in my current game, and, surprise surprise-he's wearing it. For lots of items like that, monks class as Clerics-another example is the amulet you can purchase from Desrie in the adventurer's mart when you install the extra merchants patch.

[ July 25, 2005, 20:19: Message edited by: Mr C ]

14. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Another option would be to edit the item and SK it into the game, that would be stretching things a bit though.

15. Felinoid

@Caradhas:
    I wouldn't consider it cheating if you're just going to edit it back to the way it was originally coded.

16. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    @Felinoid: this item was only meant to be used by spellcasters, it doesn't make much sense for monks. That's why it's a borderline case.

17. Felinoid

True that. I guess it's a matter of preference. There are other items (and weapons) which provide NPP as well.

18. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I forget what happened to my monk... too long time ago. I think she couldn't wear it, because I remember having to use avoidance tactics. Like isolating vampires to kill one at a time. And scrolls of prot. vs undead.

19. Klorox

@kuemper:
    Yep, that's where I get it from.

@Felinoid:
    Yeah, without this fixpack, my Monk could use the amulet. But that doesn't make too much sense, does it? I mean, Monks shouldn't be able to use the thing; they're not spellcasters.

@Mr C:
    That "Cleric only" amulet says that it can be used by Clerics and Monks in my game.

20. krunchyfrogg Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

I must have the same mods installed as you, Klorox.

There were not enough protection from undead scrolls for my monk, so I decided against trying her solo, and picked up Anomen. He's more interesting with a romance, but I never got far in that game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.