1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Solo mage without Robe of Vecna

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Blog, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Just a quick question: has anyone soloed a mage (or sorcerer for that matter) without using the Robe of Vecna?

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I have. I usually get the Robe of the Good Archmagi...I don't know why, but I like it more than the Robe of Vecna, but then again, I'll get the Robe of Vecna before I go to ToB. :rolling:

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    It's certainly possible. I didn't have the bonus merchants when I first bought the game, so I didn't have access to the Robe of Vecna. Personally, I feel the RoV should not be usable by good characters - it's kind of an evil item if you ask me. As far as AC and magic resistance is concerned, a Robe of the Archmagi (whichever one is appropriate to your alignment - they all have the same stats) are pretty comparable, and if you aren't soloing, they are more than adequate. However, the one major advantage you get with the RoV is that it reduces casting times by 4. That means a good chunk of spells effectively have a casting time of 0 when the robe is equipped, which really helps out when you are soloing.

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Why? Is there a history about the robe that makes it evil? Granted, from the description, it was worn by a lich, but IMO that in and of itself shouldn't preclude it from being used by good characters. Of course, then again, I'm not really sure who "Vecna" is/was, and maybe the answer is in there.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, if it was owned/created/worn by a lich, it's kind of tainted - for lack of a better word - if you ask me. I do not know specifically the history of Vecna, but I assume he/she/it was, in fact, the lich in question.

6. Tiberius Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Vecna is the most powerful Lich in D&D. Once a powerful wizard and ruler he used his power to become a lich. After building up an empire of terror he was defeated and killed. Only his hand and his eye were left of him, and are high-valued and very dangerous magical items. But Vecna did not stay gone forever. He rose as a god of the world of Greyhawk. He had some worshippers which were united in a secret cult. They tried to bring him back to life. For some time Vecna was imprisoned in the world of Ravenloft but be broke free again later

7. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

So he was a lich. Looks like we have a case for having the robe cursed or usuable by evil only.

It just seems like you can't cast much in battle because longer spells might get disrupted.

8. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    You could always try the enhanced Robe of Archmagi from the Items Upgrade mod. It's significantly more powerful than the vanille RoA, but IMO it's not as overpowered as Robe of Vecna.

9. Thehobbit Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I soloed with a Sorceror and no vecna.

10. Tiberius Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I did as well Hobbit, but the Robe of Vecna does help ua out quite a bit. Try it out sometime, I think you will agree.

11. Soulbringer Gems: 1/31

Most powerful? You still have to take into account the liches that survived the fall of Netherill (though their names havent survived the test of time).
    Are you sure that the lich broke free, Ravenloft is kinda there to keep the super bad guys in (and none has gotten out as of what i know, unless they changed it in 3rd E.).

12. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

@Blog: Aye, I've done that as well. Mainly because I found the game to be too easy whilst soloing with my Necromancer.

However, soloing without the Staff of the Magi is as close to a deathwish as you can get. :p

Edit: Woo hoooo...new gem!!

13. Greystar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

@Blog: I did that once, it was quite tough though, the main problem is the encounter with the Rogue Stone encounter (you need to cast spells as fast as possible in that battle, and without the robe, it's not easy).

Irenicus isn't too hard, just summon Skeleton Warrior and send them after him and he is dead.

@Soulbringer: as far as I know, he is the most powerful lich ever existed.

Edit: damn, always forget that I'm in SOA forum, sorry.

Btw, my 100th post, yay :)

[ October 29, 2004, 08:01: Message edited by: Greystar ]

14. Soulbringer Gems: 1/31

@However, soloing without the Staff of the Magi is as close to a deathwish as you can get.

Never new it existed till the 10th time i completed the game (3rd time i soloed a mage class).

15. Deathbringer Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I think I soloed as a mage 2 times before I even found the twisted rune. As for the ROV, I never had access to it untill I installed a patch durring my last reinstall, but only Edwin has used it since I haven't been a mage in a very long time.

16. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

@Soulbringer, Deathbringer: Staff of the Magi is one of those items, which one you get used to, you just can't do without them, which is what I intended to convey with my comment.

FYI, I've completed solo's with Sorcerers and Mages before I ever found out about the Twisted Rune myself. AND its no biggie, because a Mislead can take care of the invisibility factor, while the bonuses, though nice, can be dealt with with other equipment like rings, etc.

HOWEVER, its just the extreme convenience which is so appealing about the Staff.

Like the description says, "Its a quintessental mage item."

17. Soulbringer Gems: 1/31

It could be more fun if they made so you could break the staff...

18. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

But given how powerful it is, why on earth would you want to?

19. Soulbringer Gems: 1/31

Retribution strike...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.