1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Solo character

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Sephiroth, May 6, 2003.

1. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

well if i am to solo sometime (after building up some neat chars im planning to get) i would do a kensai lvl13 and then dual him into mage.
    i already did a kensai\mage in a party game, and he rocked.....both fighting and magicj in one char ^_^, to bad thieving skills r important in this game due to good equiptment and quest items.

2. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG]
    That statement is not correct. Thieving skills are far from important. In fact I have said it before and I stand by my statement: thieving skills are a luxury in BG2.

3. Kenixkil Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I tried soloing with a sorcerer, and went with him all the way to ascension...
    Also, I found that at higher levels, you can designate multiple targets for Lower Resistance, so you can divide them up between golems, or just shoot all 2~4 at one target, Greater Malision, then runaround while hiding with the Staff of the Magi and shoot chromatic orbs like mad(all instant kills.. sweet)

4. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I have the german version of the game, so could you tell me in wich magic grade these spells are, because I can't find them:

-greater mallison
    -Greater Alacricity
    -chromatic orbs

5. christopher_c_pitzer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Soloed with an Inquisitor. Very nice. Once the Hold Avenger is aquired, the butt whipping really begins. The bonus to saving throws are pretty good too, and the dispel magic and true sight abilities rock. Add a few other little trinkets and this guy or gal mows 'em down.

6. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

soloing with an archer is pretty good (on insane difficulty with improved ai scripts installed) and is a challenge. You can get the belt of hill giant stregnth, strong arm long bow / tuigen short bow, and aegar's hide armour really early and you this will be a good set up for the rest of the game until you start throne of bhaal. if anyone has suggestions for a better set up for this character, let me know - it does get pretty boring not having any weapons and armour to aim for until you have completed the main irenicus plot!
    (by the way i use the item upgrade mod so aegars hide has AC1 and 25% resistances to fire cold and acid + immunity to confusion)

As for soloing as a mage or sorcerer, its been a long time since ive used them so I can't remember much about them. One tactic I'll never forget though - time stop, improved aclarity whilst wearing robe of vecna, then any offensive spels you like to use should be enough to handle most enemies. By the way, can you summon multiple pit fiend's?

7. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31

well im not trying to dictate what char u should use...but here is some options:

Kensai\mage 13\xx dual at level 13, must be human of course.

u get nice amount of spells and do well in combat as well.

get grandmastery in longsword or katana, get 3 points in dual wielding and put the rest in war hammer is a good weapon set up or simply put everything into quarterstaff and two handed weapons and single weapon style.

u should get a thaco of -6 with staff of magi...
    http://www.sorcerers.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=001884

and: http://www.sorcerers.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=001831

also a fighter\thief makes a good solo charakter...

or cleric\mage.....

8. Malovae Gems: 18/31

Yeah, the fighter/thief is good, even better if it is kensai/thief at high level. do to mean multiclass mage/cleric? they are really good at high levels as well.

Sorry if I sounded like i was dictating what class people should use. I wasn't...really :(

don't suppose you know about the pit fiend question?

9. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31

Greater Malison is a level 5 spell
    Greater (or Improved) Alacrity is a HLA/level 10 spell
    Chromatic Orb is a level 1 spell

10. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Greater Malison is level 4, symbol is a red broken clover iirc.

For a sorcerer, not a problem, just chose it. For a Mage I think the first time you can get the scroll is in the underwater city.

An absolute must spell for any magic user, solo or party.

[Edit]
    **Pit fiend. I think it's restricted to one at the time**

11. Malovae Gems: 18/31

I'm not 100% but I think you can get a greater malison scroll from the merchant in waukeens promande (the one on the right, above the inn) - I might be wrong though. Thanx bout the pit fiend Viking

12. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31

Thx, for the spells, but I still can't figure out what's chromatic orb ...

13. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31

a dualed classed kensai\thief (26\xx) is a good char.....but u will be very weak when u actually dual class and it will take time to get the kensai class activated again.

this does not affect the kensai\mage (13\xx) since u will level up pretty quickly when u dual class...and u will still be in chapter to when this happens.

another char u can use is the mage:conjuror\cleric (check the dual classing faq to see when to dual), but its like with the kensai\thief here...u will be very weak when dual classing. but as fast as u get the "use-everything" ability, this char will rock since u will be able to use shadow dragon armor or any other that doesnt disable the thief skills.

the main problem with soloing is that u will miss out on either fighting, thieving or spellcasting abilities if u dont choose the multiclass f\m\t.

but then again...its ur call, and i think the thieving skills are the one u shouldnt let out.

just my oppinion......

a tip however is:
    do the easy quests first.....dont do the quests outside athkathla before u have completed some inside the city....
    another tip is:
    get gold....
    if u r using a thief u can give some points in pick pocket and steal gold.....another way is to collect every scroll and potion u come by and sell them (exept healing potions and scrolls u use to learn spells) these things give most gold...also try to get +1 weapons u dont need since these also give a decent price.

another interesting point about gold and prices is the charisma, ring of human influence and the spell friends. if u have a mage (either pure, multi or dualed) have him equipt that ring and learn the spell "friends" and let him be able to cast it three or four times....thus u get very cheap stuff and a good price for selling items...

also be sure to pick up every gold u come across wether it is 1 or 1000. and do visit unimportant areas to loot and to kill lesser creatures for xp.

well i think i have said enough.....i do think u know which quests to start out with....(for example the spirit of the boy in the graveyard that miss his bear is a great beginner quest.).

bah...i have said way to much ^_^ hope anything will be of use.

ahh didnt see that cromatic orb before after i poisted this message ^_^ had to edit hehe...
    get cromatic orb in ur spell book and be able to cast a few of it....it is a great spell in any part of the game. (enemies must make a save throw or die, if they dont die they do take damage, exept for those magick resistance enemies like mind flayers and more).

14. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31

I finally found this spell in my spell book but there's nothing standing about the save throw or your enimy will die :confused:

15. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Its effects increase with your level. Going from lesser effects(stun,...) to instant death at lvl 12 IIRC.

@death whisper
    You said that kensai/thief 26/x is very powerful. I agree but it takes a LOT of time to get enough XP for your thief level to preceed your fighter level. I dont know exatly how much level you can achieve with a thief if you have half of possible experience in your fighter class.
    I'm not sure its even possible to preceed your fighter level 26, eventhough you have a thief.

Powerplay, anyway

16. Demogorog Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

@ death whisper

You're saying that a Kensai(26)/Thief(xx) is a good idea?

Well I've finished the game with a Kensai(15)/Thief(xx) (and the same but Kensai(15)/mage(xx))and It was really hard to finish for example Firkraag's dungeon as a low level thief on insane.

You're talking about 11 levels over that!?

Sure he would be really powerfull when he becomes a level 27 thief but it takes a while to reach that level.

17. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31

yes...its VERY hard.....but u will sit left with a hell of a character.

but i just posted some suggestions.

its really upto the player which chars he would solo.

and to be honest....dual classed chars is the most difficult chars to solo with since they will become very weak again at any given time in the game (depending on when they dual).

if u dont wanna do dual class, do multiclass instead......since two powers from two classes is very helpful.....(thief skills is almost a must, ALMOST a must, not a must).

think careful...research a bit.....and find a solo char u find good.
    Remember that u can solo the game several times with different chars. But plan so u know what profiency, spells and so on u want to have.....

18. Demogorog Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

To be honest, I've never tried to multiclass ever.

I'm thinking of soloing a F/M/T but not for the moment because I've recently started to play with NPC:s instead of soloing as I tends to do.

I have a monk and a kensai soloing that I will try to finish and then I have a full party which has some things to do before chapter 3. After that I'll play with another full party and after that I will try to extrem roleplay a neutral good thief.

19. the assassin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Wasnt one of the problems of a F/M/T solo that youll be a well rounded SUPPORT character? By the end, having a lvl 18 fighter, thief, and mage a handicap? I havent tried it myself, but the reasoning from what ive read seems pretty logical...so overall, is the F/M/T a good choice?

Also, for those non-thief soloers, how do you people get around those pesky traps? The level drain traps in Watcher's Keep got me reloading the file....maybe i was just hasty. But that doesnt change anything about running into traps. What do you do?

20. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Why would you take a kensai to 26? Seems kinda pointless. I thought most fighters stopped getting better at level 20. I personally wouldn't take the kensai past 13 but that is just me.

I would rather have Use any items and plenty of the assassination skill then the fighter skills, because you can always use improved haste to make up for the lack of Whirlwind, and I think assassination more than makes up for the critical strike fighter skills. Plus at that level I would think a fighter/thief wouldn't be to far behind in the number game and would get alot more HLAs.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.