1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Soldiers: heroes of WWII

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Oxymore, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I got the demo and it seemed rather good, except for the fact that I can't change the view. It's got a decent framerate on my old PC as well.

As anyone here played the full game? If so what's your opinion?

2. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

3. Oxymore Gems: 13/31

Oh crap. And I thought video games made people more perceptive... :shake: I should buy new eyes or something.

Anyway, have you finished the game yet?
    Does it get repetitive and boring?
    Is the gameplay anywhere near subtle?
    Are the missions varied?
    Can the objectives be attained using different tactics? (the demo mission was pretty straightforward)

In essence: is it a good game or just another Silent Storm?

4. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Heh, the cd-protection on that game is buggered, what does the helpdesk tell me?
    That I should buy a new CD-rom drive, hahaha!!

Now, just waiting for the cd-fix

5. Morgoroth

Well I have not finished it yet, in fact I haven't even finished one of the four campaigns (five missions each). There are usually many ways to get through missions but there aren't any true sneaking in the game. On lower difficulties infantry is a joke and nothing to be afraid of as they really can't accomplish anything without tanks or machineguns (unless they use grenades which they unfortunently do quite rarely).

The missions have been relatively varied but in all but two of the five missions in the russian campaign I have regardless ended up killing everything on the map. I hope the other campaigns have a different theme than the russian one where you after the first mission have only two guys to control and no own tanks.

To sum it up I can say that this is pretty much what I hoped from Silent Storm which I liked until the idiotic panzerkleins which completely ruined a pontentially great game. If you liked the demo you'll probably like the complete game, I have enjoyed my pruchase so far and haven't got bored yet but I'm quite sure I'll get bored if the other campaigns too have only two guys without tank support in most missions.

6. Oxymore Gems: 13/31

One thing, still about the demo: at some point during the mission comes a fat-ass German tank that just won't die. I tried grenades, panzerfausts, canon fire, tank fire, mines... all I achieved was to bust its caterpillar.

Have any successfull tactic regarding this?

7. Morgoroth

Throw a panzer grenade at the rear or shoot it with a bazooka in the rear. Trying to destroy a Panther by shooting it with low caliber cannons in the front is a waste of time and doesen't serve any purpose. This was pretty much a truth in the real WW2 too. One shot in the rear should immobilize the tank and get the crew to evacuate after which they should be easy to kill.

8. Oxymore Gems: 13/31

Finally did it!

I had to play hide and seek with three vehicles in order to take Mr Invincible in a cross fire, but I beat him (hard mode).

Now about renting the actual game...

Finished the game yet, Morgoroth ?

9. Morgoroth

Nope, I very rarely play games through fast. It just ain't my style. Normally I have three or four games I play at a time and so it takes quite a lot of time to finish them. Currently I'm on the second mission of the Brittish campaign, I really liked the first mission since it was quite a lot different from the russian missions. The second is average but I would like to see a few missions which require stealth throughout the entire mission not just at the beginning.

10. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I just looked at some screenshots - this looks like a pretty cool game! Is it RTS or turn-based?

11. Morgoroth

It's purely RTS with some puzzle elements similar to the game Commandos.

12. Oxymore Gems: 13/31

It comes in turn-based flavor in the form of a game called "Silent storm" which is quite good until the endgame comes around, fortunately there are mods around to correct that.

13. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Finally got the game to work, and I can easily say it is the best game I played this year.
    I love the way how you can drop a anti-tank grenade on a Panzer tank, watch the soldiers come out and then mow them down, then take over the tank, repair it and get rid of the other tanks.

You can destroy virtually anything in the game, walls, buildings, traintracks, and hide between the wreckages, this game kicks ass!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.