1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Socratic questioning session #1

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Erebus, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I'm saying everyone why do people with the same backgrounds, etc. have different valus from each other, when they are all part of a "herd"?

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Because they have experienced different things

3. Erebus Gems: 16/31

Yes, but does experience dictate our values completely?

4. Morgoth

Media:
    Not completely.

5. Erebus Gems: 16/31

Then what does?

6. Morgoth

Media:
    Evolution

7. Erebus Gems: 16/31

So evolution is responsible for all virtues?

8. Morgoth

Media:
    Yes

9. Erebus Gems: 16/31

In what way?

10. Morgoth

Media:
    Are there multiple?

11. Erebus Gems: 16/31

In what way does evolution determine our morals?

12. Morgoth

Media:
    I told you 10 posts ago..

This discussion is becoming a waste of space, if you have some trick behind your hands, please post it now,..

13. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Maybe we need a new thread about evolution!

Evolution is the secular deification of means as end. There's no point to the universe - as Nietzsche appreciated - so, stripped of purpose, all that remains is process. Process without purpose cannot be judged except as regards its own efficiency in respect to other processes. And if there is no external standard of judgement, then there cannot be any real morality or virtue. There can be power and efficiency, sure, but no virtue.

I mean, think about it: how do we judge if evolution is "working"? What is the "end" of evolution? More life - but why? More complex life - measured how? More intelligence - to what end? Stronger moral sense - by what standard?

Ultimately, with evolution, we get trapped in a literally "endless" circle. Whatever is, is right; whatever is, is improving; whatever will be, will be better; whatever is better, is right; whatever we have today, is therefore better than what we had yesterday; but we can never truly know how to measure what is "better" except by the judgement of time, which - since its passage marks the process of evolution - proves that we are actually better off.

But this is not to say that evolution is necessarily untrue, only that it opens philosophical problems of nihilism that extend far beyond this back-and-forth debate of whether our values are derived from our nature (common to all humanity) or our experiences (specific to individuals), since both nature and nurture are ultimately the product of evolutionary processes.

Suffice it to say that although evolutionary processes may produce behavioral patterns and cultural expectations, they certainly do not create virtue.

14. Morgoth

Media:
    Nah, Nietzsche disliked the nihilist, he stated that the sole purpose of the universe is the one you give it yourself.

Then what or who does? Was it there for taking when the first human was born?

15. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

What I mean in my earlier post and what I would like to restate is the following.

Virtue is a pointless concept, let's have an example.

Supposing there was a feature called "bob", humans who had "bob" are "better" than others. You gain "bob" by collecting round stones.

My eventual meaning is that while animals may do things in teams and help each other the concept of virtue was made by humans and as such holds no meaning but what we assign to it.

16. Morgoth

Media:
    And how would collecting stones fit to that person's moral?

17. Erebus Gems: 16/31

I ask this, because you said morals are your creations, yet, they are also set in through evolution, please explain.

18. Morgoth

Media:
    Where did I say that morals are my creation?

19. Erebus Gems: 16/31

3rd post from the top, so please explain your reasoning.

20. Morgoth

Media:
    Erm... you DO know that virtue is just an extension of moral right?

I said people create virtue, on base of their moral, and moral is made by your environment.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.