1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

So who didn't take Imoen?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Sylvus Moonbow, Dec 4, 2000.

1. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

As I mentioned before, Imoen was not someone I was going to take once I found her and for some very obvious reasons.

First of all, she never had Magic Missile memorized or had a spell to cast off at the start and that pissed me off some.

Second, I've spent way too much time gathering scrolls for Aerie and forming her to fit my own party that there was no way she was going to go.

Third, Imoen joins the party with no well known spells, all my extra scrolls are in Waukeen's Promenade (slight chance of them letting me take Imoen there to get them, then go back to the Asylum).

So with all due respect, I told her to leave and she said she'd be in Athkatla in the Copper Cornet. Although my own inards turned at watching her leave, it had to be done for I was not about to split the party down the middle just to fit her in.

My question though, how many of you didn't take her either?

Syl...

2. Beorn Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

I left her once and took her twice (if you know what I mean...).

If have Yoshi until he betrays you, you'd be stupid not to pick her up. The third time I played I had gotten over my anger at Yoshi and had him in my party until...well, you know. Then I used Imoen for her thieving skills.

The second time, I was still pissed at yoshie so I dropped him for Jan at the first opportunity and sent Imoen out on her own when the time came.

3. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

This, of course, is not what you wanted to know. I took her. My party has Ariee and Imoen and myself, 3 mages of some type, so my party is magic heavy as you can see. Even low on experience, she is the best thief-mage in the game. Her important skills are great(locks/traps), and I'm hoping she'll get enough exp to be a good mage near the end(not that she's bad). I wish I hadn't done so many quests before I went to chap 4. Might have made 3 and 4 more challenging. Understand your personal need for vengance, but you dumped (spoiler) family, man. How's she gonna get back what she lost now? ;)

4. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I did not take her with me the first time around for the same reasons, I liked my party the way I had developed it and she did not fit in.

5. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

Awesome, so nothing lost then except a pitiful thief. No big deal there. Thanks guys, my party is perfect without her!

Grub
    Keldorn
    Valygar
    Minsc
    Jaheira
    Aerie

Syl...

6. Thaumas Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I'm planning to take Yoshimo with me again just to make this choice easy :). I know you hate pure thieves, so sorry I even mentioned it :p. I'll also bring along a few scroll cases with spells for her.

And she didn't have spells at the start :confused:? That is strange. She had some in my games.

I just started a game (to test it) and she had Armour, Chromatic Orb, ID, Magic Missile, Stinking Cloud, Strength, Web, Haste, Lightning Bolt, Monster Summoning I, Minor Globe and Stoneskin all memorized and ready to cast.

[This message has been edited by Thaumas (edited December 04, 2000).]

7. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

I meant useful spells and ones that you find during all your travels of side-quests and the like even before going to Chapter 3. There is no way that Imoen would have such a variety of spells compared to Aerie who had been collecting them all that time.

Yes Imoen has spells, but useless to me if they are those you mentioned compared to Aerie, who has so much more and much more deadly.

I think it was a bad idea to have done this to Imoen because she was my favorite character in BG1. They do a smart thing by dueling her to a mage for BG2, but butcher her thieving skills to be so useless to me personally. She couldn't hide in a box if her life depended on it.

Then they go and have her wisked away and when you find her, she's just as useless, if not more now that the party is such a high level. 'tis a shame.

Syl...

8. Mobeus Gems: 5/31

[​IMG] Sorry, Syl, I disagree with you..at least somewhat. Yeah, Imoen may not be the strongest member (depending the type of group you prefer) but she is FAMILY! She is the reason for the whole adventure. (Well, a little personal vengeance, too). If it weren't for all the quests and side jobs working toward her rescue, half of your team members would never have been recruited! Now, after she is rescued and the issue of getting back what was lost(soul?) is resolved, then if you part ways, so be it. Until then, I'm surprised Keldorn and Minsc let you sleep in any kind of comfort!

And how do know for sure she really did the missiles? Remember that belt she had? The one that couldn't come off and even she didn't know where she got it? Well, when gets rescued she doesn't have it any more. Suppose it was a cursed magic launcher of some sort? (there is necklace that launches missiles, why not a belt?) since she had just escaped from Jon (maybe he LET her?) perhaps she was under some compulsion? Give her the benefit of family trust.

< The preceding is from the basis of my groups basically good party alignment, and the way we currently perceive the world. No offense is intended toward anyone or anybody. My next time thru, I may dump her myself! (haven't decided my characters, yet!) >
    :) :)
    :D

9. Thaumas Gems: 6/31

Sorry, I thought you said she didn't have any spells memorized at the start of the game, which she has. Must've misunderstood you then.

I've also found out that she doesn't keep any of the spells you let her learn in the first dungeon, which is stupid. I think the game treats her as two separate characters.

[This message has been edited by Thaumas (edited December 04, 2000).]

10. Mobeus Gems: 5/31

Oh, it seems the lack of xp may be a non-issue. When I picked her up at the asylum, she was level 13, comparable to the rest of my group. True, she didn't have equipment or the spells I might have picked, but I didn't expect her to have ANYTHING. At least she did have spells in her book and even memorized. I'd say that's not much different than any other NPC you pick up.
    :) :D

11. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

Jaheira grumbled about it, but that's all.

Keldorn was not going to be let go because of his strong battle strengths and knowledge.

Minsc wasn't going to go because I put so much into him to develop him into a two-handed wielding fighter.

Valygar is simply too important to my entire party.

Jaheira is too valuable as well being another great fighter who has the second highest AC in the game at -8, Keldorn and I both having -9. Her Druid spells also come in very handy.

Aerie is an excellent cleric/mage who I have put all my time and effort towards in making her a force rather than a pitty.

So really, there was no room for Imoen, family or not in my group because there was no one I was willing to part with. She should be glad I came to save her and best of all, she got out of the bloody Aslyum quicker than I did, so there's my punishment. She just walked out...

This is my final party and is the party I have formed and tweaked over all the areas I have explored before heading to Chapter 3. Playing with the other NPCs in the games, or at least those that lived long enough around me, simply didn't cut it.

From here on in, these troops will finish the game with me and Imoen can drink her sorrows away in the Copper Cornet.

Syl...

[This message has been edited by Sylvus Moonbow (edited December 04, 2000).]

12. Thaumas Gems: 6/31

She was a couple of levels below the rest of my party. I ended up with three mages (Imoen, Aerie, Nalia), which was too many, Imoen was primarily thief and backup or backup backup mage ( :rolleyes: ). This time I'm dumping Nalia for a fighting type. Hmmm Valygar or Keldorn? I'm leaning towards Valygar.

13. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Sorry Syl, I took her.
    I think Mobeus hit the nail on the head, she's got as much right to be in at the kill as the PC has. I don't buy all that "make your own way home" crap - through a dungeon crawling with umber hulks, vamps etc? Really? It's not like she can just catch a bus.

I had taken Yosh, and his gear fitted her a treat. With the gloves of pock-picketting and the ring of trap sorting she's a more than adequate thief, and I had a case full of scrolls to bring her up to speed MU wise.

But why am I justifying this - she's IMOEN for Tormssake!

14. anybodey_9901 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Actually I agree with Mobeus, Imoen is the center for Chpts 2 & 3 and I thought I wouldn't want to waste my adventure so I let her in. But actually I had Yoshi in the game and betrayed me so i had an extra slot in the game to let Imoen join (so I have 4 MAGES ---bad thing!)

15. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

Why are you guys saying sorry to me? LOL! It's ok! *pats everyone on the shoulder*

Grub never knew Imoen. He wasn't an import from BG to BG2 and as far as he is concerned, she is someone who set him free from Irenicus and Grub has simply repaid that debt. They are now on even terms and she can go as she wishes. Although they may be family, they are only bound as such by a Gods inability to keep his you know what in his pants, nothing more. Grub has no fond memories of Imoen in the Hills of Zarchancheroustiv-tac-tac-rodmenkur-tao-vu where he was born and lived with Orcs. Grub has no sense of family when he looks at Imoen. She was never there.

Now on a skill level. I don't need another mage. Although I like to have two mages in my party removing anyone from the group was an instant no. Five front line fighters, one being a fighter/druid and a cleric/mage to boot as backup.

Although, I could probably boot most of them as it is. So far in the Asylum, my entire party has stayed back while Grub went and did everything himself. So far I have not been very impressed with the difficulty within but I'm sure that will change eventually.

I never thought I'd be fighting bloody Kobolds and Goblins in Chapter 4.

Syl...

16. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

"Well, Well" and "Here, Here" I do believe that several posters here gave the proper message about Imoen. Mobeus for one. Imoen is scripted in BG2 to be FAMILY. Whether acknowledged or not by Syl. Are we 'Role-Playing' or 'Power-Gaming' these days? Syl if you are Role-Playing then yes Grub knew Imoen. Grub has a great history with her that includes feats and heroic battles. Life back in Candlekeep. Imported character or not. Otherwise...why even go rescue her? What's the point? Unless you are Power Gaming these days. BTW I read your post that you probably wont play BG2 again,(-which I hope you do play again-) so right now at the point where you are in Chap 4 you cant benefit from 'hind-sight'. Imoen will finish at level 16 or 17 if you do enough quests. She'll turn out just fine and will contribute all the while. Give her Tasheron's bow or the Tunguaria bow(sp?). Then focus her spells for specific 'complimentary' additions to your party. She has shown loyalty only like Minsc could in BG1, TOSC and also in BG2.

From what I gather (only my analysis here) from your posts here is that you've become too dependant on your current party config. It's not flexible and therefore cannot be adjusted to make room for IMOEN. The ENTIRE game surrounds rescuing her and getting back what Jon Irenicus stole from YOU (GRUB) and your sister (IMOEN).

I will agree that the game designers 'jacked' up her character in a way that only a true Role Player can relate to. They made her into a death obsessed, Psychotic, nerve racked and frightened child in the first dungeon. Then the designers 'stole' her away from you. The designers 'steal' away all kinds of characters in this game. Keldorn, Yoshimo, Jaheria, Nalia, Jan and other's. Where these characters just 'up and split on you' in different situations. But IMOEN is far more than all of these IF you are Role Playing (just in BG2 not to mention BG1).

Of course.... these are just my opinions. But I like my opinions! :)

17. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

Then with that said, I guess I'm a power gamer.

Syl...

18. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Bad, BAD Syl! You, you, you... POWERGAMER! ;)

19. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Ha! Good thing your not Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia(Luke's SISTER) and the Rebellion would've been SOL!!! :)

Well, enjoy the game nonetheless. I do believe you'll find more challanges in the Underdark with your party. More than enough opponents to liven things up even for a 'power game'.

20. Wassup Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Hi, I need your advices:

My party is currently:

Flint, Dwarf Beserker.
    Minsc, you know him
    Jaheira
    Anomen
    Nalia
    Imoen

I was thinking about kicking Imoen out of my party and replacing her by Valygar.

Good move? Better suggestion??

Thanks people.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.