1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

So, was I ripped off?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Goli Ironhead, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Hello good people! Today, I went to the nearby mall, mainly to buy some clothes for school. There, when wandering aimlessly after buying what I came for, I noted they had NWN for sale. Not only that, but the pack also contained both expansions. And the price was only 25€.
    Now, I've never played it before, but I have heard the single-player campaign is very poor. Still, seemed a nice offer for this RPG freak here.
    So, the question is: was I ripped of buying the boxed set for 25 euros?

Note: euro is about as much as dollar, a little more if I'm not mistaken.

2. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

No, that's okay. The vanilla version of NWN is on sale for 10 €, and the expansions also.

I certainly paid more.

3. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

If you paid money for that miserable excuse for a roleplaying game, then yes, you got ripped off bigtime.

4. edorien Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

the main campaign isn't great but there are a lot ( 50+) of high quality ones made by the community.

So depends on whether you're capable of downloading files in the 10- 200 mb range.

5. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

I will be, for sure. But anyways, now I seem to have a problem. I installed them all, in this order: vanilla, Shadows of Undrentide and lastly Hordes. And now, when I start the launcher and press "play", it requests me to insert the Hordes disc. I do so, and it asks for it again. Is this just some of my stupidity or a bug?
    On the note, I already uninstalled them and I'm going to try again soon, just asking if I'm doing something wrong.

6. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Try updating. It removes the need for the disc to be in the drive. And patching is always a good idea anyway.

7. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

Ok, I'll try if it stills complains after reinstall. Thanks.

8. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Rawgrim, the game is highly customisable. This does not stop with the expansions. There is much fun in NWN.

[ August 15, 2006, 17:54: Message edited by: Fabius Maximus ]

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Nah, 25 euro wasn't a ripoff. You could possible have found a better bargain, maybe 20 euro, but the difference isn't that overwhelming. I don't think the official campaigns are poor, really. Don't know about multiplayer becase, regrettably, I haven't had much of an opportunity to try (I'm looking for a decent PW), but even the singleplayer campaigns seem worth it. Make sure you have everything installed and patched before you play the compaigns.

10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sounds like a reasonable price -- I got the platinum version for $19.99 a few months ago and have seen it as low as $14.99.

The real advantage of NWN is all the mods. Check out Neverwinter Nights Vault.

11. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    BTW, stay tuned for the DLA mod. It's going to feature rideable horses and the DLA cloaks are already in the official patch 1.68. You can even download enhanced textures to swap for the original graphics so that your game looks a bit more... modern, I guess. Not like I'm complaining about the looks of the game as it is.

12. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Rip off?
    Listen to this:
    First I bought the vanilla game, then the expansions. They were the FRENCH expansions (=no worky with the english version), so I had to buy the french original game.
    Total cost= :mad: 55euros :mad: (for a ************ game)

13. Kizmiaz Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

After some lobbying by a workmate I just bought the "Deluxe Edition" at 10 €. :D

14. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Neverwinter Nights is a brilliant game. I generally tend to avoid single player mods, but when it comes to multiplayer, you honestly would be hard pressed to beat it. I purchased the original for 100NZD (about 70USD), and each expansion for 50NZD. Then having to rebuy a few of them after loosing/scratching them, or misplacing the CD Key, I would take it up to about 180USD in total; but would never say that it was a waste of money. Worth every dollar. So getting it for 25 euros is certainly a bargin ;)

If you are looking for a good place to RP, I would certainly suggest A Land Far Away. Arguably the best RP Persistent World out there (certainly RP quality it wins), which over the years has had many SPers contributing to it. While worth a look if you're looking for a greater NWN experience :)

15. Wiley One Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I'm with Rotku, I think NWN is quite a good game.

16. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

Well, thanks for all the answers! About the bug: I never actually found out what was causing it and thus got one of those No-CD cracks, and it all goes very smoothly now. Also, it will remove the risk of cds going out of shape, since I don't need them any longer.
    Even thought the official campaign seems pretty light and perhaps even a bit unworthy, I do see huge amount of mods, and very good potential for online play. Actually, the whole game seems like it was made for that purpose.
    Now to just find the good mods.

So, after testing it for a while, I've decided that the money was spent well enough.
    On the sidenote, NWN seems to have very good potential for modding also, like BG2.

17. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

The latest patch doesn't require the CD to be in your PC, so a No-CD crack isn't really necessary once you update the game.

You can ignore the vanilla game and get hours and hours of entertainment out of NWN after downloading some of the many player-community modules from nwvault. Then, of course, there's multi-player.

18. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    NWN-Very good game. If the single player campain bores you, consider downloading mods like Witches Wake or Kingmaker.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.