1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

So that I don't derail RBT again...

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition' started by Taluntain, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    It's really not sensible that evil characters are bothered by high reputation in the first place. The vast majority of them are not Stupid Evil (tvtropes link, fair warning).

A friend of mine and I have a mod in the works that ought to vastly improve gameplay for evil parties. No ETA though since I have to finish my other projects first.

2. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

awesome idea Blades of Valor. It must be possible to mod so that players can have a "bribe status" that moderates their tolerance to reputation. :)

very cool idea.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I don't really get why they'd be bothered either. Considering the reputation affects shop prices among other things it'd be in their best interests to have good PR despite being evil. Having to kill an occasional commoner just to keep an evil NPC around is really silly.

As an aside, reporting back to Dorn's Nashkel informant about her husband yields no XP reward either - she just leaves. I mean... wtf? Every insignificant little quest in BG1 awards you XP, but here, just nothing. Another Beamdog oversight. I also noticed that Baeloth's joining is bugged... I took him in to check his stats and he popped up his whiny "don't leave me here" dialogue despite having just joined. So you get the opportunity to tell him to go to the FAI again... while the party just picked him up in front of it. :facepalm:

Still seeing things like that after more than 2 years of Beamdog patching up the little new content that they added makes me wonder just what the heck they've been doing all this time. There is also a setting in Options missing text and I noticed one of Dorn's status icons that shows on his portrait also comes up missing the description on the character record screen, for example. As much as I'm enjoying this nostalgic romp through BG1 again, the sheer amount of sloppiness and remaining bugs/issues is detracting from my enjoyment considerably. The problem with battle sounds remains intermittent - I get full sound in about 1 encounter out of 4, with the rest it's either complete silence or just partial sound - only monster or only party sounds.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  4. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I haven't noticed any missing text anywhere. Mind being more specific?

As for Baeloth, he's an evil character, so recruiting him with a reputation of 19 or 20 will cause him to instantly leave the party, and he probably acts as though you kicked him out.

5. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Dang I was enjoying your quest through the Soar Coast. =) but I understand the darn bugs ruin it. BG is about the mood, and the thrill. and if bugs come crawling everywhere it kinda ruins the mood. Just like the beach. wicked little sandflies. *Dreams away to warmer places.* Hang in there Tal!

Taluntain likes this.
  6. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

TBH, I have not seen these buggyy issues you mention Tal.
    Did you download from Beamdog or another source? I pre-ordered both games via Beamdog's downloader and downloaded via their client. Haven't really seen any issues like you are describing. Except for theXP-less quests. IF you continue with Dorn, you will see things balance out though, I don't want to say anymore to spoil your fun...

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Gameplay/Feedback/Enable confirmation - missing the description what this does.

The status icon that showed on Dorn's portrait was unknown to me so I don't know where it came or what it was - obviously with the description missing I couldn't tell... There was just the icon and the hyphen after it on the Record page.

As for Baeloth, hmm, that might explain it... but I eventually did manage to get him to join, just had to repeat it a few times. But my rep would have been the same because the loss of rep when he joins is regained when he leaves - I actually wanted to lower my rep that way (by making him join and kicking him out), but it didn't work. So it still doesn't make much sense, not to mention that this should be handled with a proper reaction to the high rep.

Well, naturally... it's a big enough game that no two people will spot anywhere near the same problems unless they played identically with the same NPCs. And some problems are likely also system-related. But the majority of the problems that I mentioned will be there for everyone playing the same way that I am. I used the standalone installer to install the game.

Another oddity - when you return to Nashkel after rescuing Dynaheir sans Minsc, Edwin somehow sniffs Dynaheir on you (despite me not even taking her into my party - I just set her free) and attacks you for your "association with the witch". But when I went over to Minsc, there's no automatic recognition that I freed her - heck, there's not even any way to tell Minsc about it! Minsc still wants to join me to go rescue her - when she's already free. :doh:

I even tried taking him into my party to see if that would trigger recognition that she's free. It didn't. Eh...

8. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I hear ya. I usually play late at night, when the klids are sleeping and the sound is either turned off or with headphones on. Maybe I just missed the sound bugs or wasn't paying much attention to them to notice. Hmmm....

Have you checked the Beamdog forums for mod fixes? There's a lot. Go to Modding then BGEE.

9. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    That does seem to be missing. People probably didn't notice because no one really cares. :D

Odd, I don't think there are any statuses lacking descriptions in the game. If you see it again, take a screenshot.

Yeah, that won't work. They intentionally used a script to ensure your reputation goes back up if these characters leave the party after you've recruited them. The problem is mainly that the characters leaving the party on account of reputation is now hardcoded (Helm only knows why), so the handling of it got really weird in a bad way. It's the same with Viccy, she instantly leaves the party even though the reputation drop should ensure that she stays. The only difference is, she hightails it from the map, but Baeloth apparently doesn't have the scripts in order.

Yeah, there's a bunch of these bugs remaining from the original. There's a bug report section on the official forum. You should consider checking if it's a known bug, or submit it, if it isn't.

I tend to just fix the bugs as I find them in the game. Sadly, only one other person ever benefits from my due diligence. :shake:

10. Taluntain

Media:
    Blades - I'll take a look.

Keneth - yea, I'll take a screenshot when I see it again. As for reporting all the bugs, there are way too many. For every one I spot there are probably an extra 5 that I don't. Maybe I'll just submit this whole thread after I'm done on the off chance that they'll bother to go through it and fix the bugs I mentioned. Though I googled a few of the issues I encountered and already found bug reports about them filed on the official forums, so I expect that a lot of them have already been reported, just not fixed.

Incidentally, the game really does seem a lot easier this time around but I'm not sure why exactly?

11. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Well, the original engine had some... issues, which made the player's life more complicated. On top of that, you had a really low resolution, so you couldn't see much of anything, and all the extra stuff you get with the new engine starts showing by mid levels.

I would also wager that you understand D&D mechanics far better now than you did the first time around. Personally, it took me decades, but I've finally figured out exactly how saving throws work in 2nd edition. :shake:

12. Taluntain

Media:
    Yea, I was wondering if most of it was due to me just having played all the other IE games after it... plus, this time around I cleared all of the non-plot areas first so by the time I got to the plot locations they were easy compared to the areas with tougher enemies and monsters. Buffing spells seem to have drastically shortened lasting times than what I remember though... if I cast a few before the fighting starts they'll likely wear off before the end of a single longer battle.

Btw, here's the missing text I mentioned, but on Rasaad (not sure if it's the same):

[​IMG]

13. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Huh, that's something OH must have added. It's status #166, whereas BG2 statuses only went up to #165. Likewise, there are only descriptions for statuses up to #165 (excluding HLAs since they're not present in BGEE), so the 6 new icons that seem to have been added are just... blank. That's a pretty big oversight. Meh.

14. Blades of Vanatar

You will probably find the answer to that dilemna on the Beamdog boards. I remember in the beginning, after the release, a lot of questions were asked by the buyers about why is this missing?/why is that bugged?/etc... and some of their answers were "...limitations on what they were able to do due to the contract..." type of answers. Makes you wonder...

15. Taluntain

Media:
    That's... seriously odd.

16. Taluntain

Media:
    So I've decided to continue where I left off 2 years ago (does time fly or what?). Been playing for a week or so and I'm about done with BG city (chapter 5). Luckily, the last patch seems to have fixed most of the issues that I've experienced in the past.

After Dorn walked out on me again I just console'd in the Helm of Opposite Alignment and stuck it on his stupid head. Problem solved. :lol: Should call it the Helm of Common Sense instead... :shake:

I've just cleared Durlag's above ground level and I'm now in the first underground level.

One thing that I'm missing is some kind of arrow/bolt quiver or bag of holding. Are any of these to be found in BG:EE? The gem & potion bags are indispensable, likewise the scroll case.

17. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    For non-EE, the BG Tweakpack adds some bags of holding, I believe. Don't they have these things ported to the EE versions as well?

18. Taluntain

Media:
    I've found the containers that I mentioned, but no arrow quiver or bag of holding yet...

19. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    There are no quivers or bags of holding in BG:EE. As henkie said, tweaks add some bags of holding. I also added one in my NPC mod, which I'll finally start working on again this weekend (yep, time does fly).

Since a lot of items got backported from BG2, you can also get a standard ToB ammo belt for your many arrow types via console. It's what I always do...

20. Taluntain

Media:
    The EE's use the same engine, right? So I assume the bag of holding can be console'd in too?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.