1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

So much for 82-0

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by dmc, Oct 27, 2010.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, as a Laker fan, I see Utah a few times each regular season and annually for the traditional playoff blowout. :evil: (Sorry, Chicken, but it's true . . . it's been a long time since the Stockton-Malone heyday.)

Here: I went and checked stats.

This season so far:

Deron Williams: 21.5 ppg, 10.3 apg, 5.0 rpg, .9 spg, .452 shooting%, .367 3pt%, .839 ft%, 40.3 mpg
    Chris Paul: 17.9 ppg, 9.9 apg, 5.4 rpg, 2.4 spg, .511 shooting%, .455 3pt%, .882 ft%, 34.1 mpg
    Rajon Rondo: 11.1 ppg, 14.8 apg, 5.5 rpg, 3.1 spg, .470 shooting%, .400 3pt%, .529 ft%, 40.8 mpg
    Derrick Rose: 23.8 ppg, 9.2 apg, 3.8 rpg, .8 spg, .437 shooting%, .273 3pt%, .750 ft%, 37.7 mpg

Now, obviously, the season is young and the stats can be skewed (for example, Rondo has taken on 5 three pointers and made 2 of them -- I don't expect he's going to maintain that .400 shooting clip). Plus, the stats are going to be skewed a bit based on the system -- Paul and Rondo are going to get more steals because of the defensive schemes their teams use, while Rose and Williams won't because of the defensive schemes THEIR teams use. However, I think it is safe to say that assists and points are going to remain the same barring injuries to these players or other main scoring threats on their teams. So, I rank the four of them in this order: Paul, Williams, Rose, Rondo. I'd rank Rondo higher except for his atrocious ft% and the accompanying end game fear. Think about it: Boston has two players that absolutely can't touch the ball in the last two minutes of crunch time, Rondo and Shaq. Their PG and Center are kryptonite. How are they going to get to the finals? Hopefully for them, Perkins will be back in game shape by the playoffs.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  2. Kullervo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I'd add turnovers to the point guard comparison above:

Williams 4.0 tpg, 2.56 ast/to
    Rondo 4.0 tpg, 3.69 ast/to
    Rose 4.5 tpg, 2.04 ast/to
    Paul 1.7 tpg, 5.75 ast/to

Pauls number one spot is even clearer, other three tend to give the rock away more often. Well, Rondos assist/turnovers ratio is ok: he's ranked 5th best in that category - but basicly it's his assists that lifts him.

Like dmc said, team/role differences lead to stat differences. Rondo doesn't need to score much in Boston, while the rest are their teams top scorers alongside their playmaker duties. After 7-8 games here's how I'd rank them: Paul, Williams, Rondo, Rose - admitting that I haven't seen much of Rose (except the highlight reel stuff).

Getting back on topic, tonight it's Celtic-Heat again. I'd put my money on Heat this time. After the way Heat lost to Jazz, you'd think they'll be a lot sharper on D.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.