1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Snook's stupid questions thread- spoilers inside

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by The Great Snook, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Not a beta patch per se, it's more of a user made fixpack. I haven't thoroughly played the game with it but here is the link if you want to give it a try yourself: Qwinn's Unofficial DA:O Fixpack. The modder responsible for this file is better known for putting together the Planescape Fixpack.

2. CelticDream

CelticDream I play well with others... others, not you Veteran

Media:
    I'm trying it out to see how it goes. Interesting enough, some of the fixes in that fixpack are mods that I already have downloaded and installed into the game - though he does state on his page that the mod is set that if there are any issues between fixpack and mods, mod will overwrite the pack.

3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Next stupid question. I've completed the four main quests and now I'm about to go into the Arl of Denerim's estate. An elf wants me to put on a disguise so nobody recognizes me. I'm more of the mind to keep my armor and slaughter all the guards. Does it make a difference? Does it unlock some achievements and or extra XP if you do it the pacifist vs. the bloody way?

4. Caradhras

Media:
    No achievements and I don't think you get extra XP (I may be wrong).

The Elf wants you to disguise as guards (kinda silly if you have a dwarf or an elf in the party). You could play along and once you feel like killing them all just slaughter the whole bunch.

If you don't want to play along, just attack the guards that are being distracted by the elf.

Playing along is nice at higher difficulties if you want to plant traps and stuff.

5. CelticDream

Media:
    I've never done it without using the disguise... think I might try it without one of these days, just to see what it's like. Should be interesting :)

6. Caradhras

Media:
    It doesn't change many things, it just blows your cover faster. ;)

7. CelticDream

Media:
    I like leaving a bloody trail through the Arl of Denerim's estate :D

8. Caradhras

Media:
    That happens all the time.

By the way this is where there is the worst immersion breaking cutscene of them all:

You can sneak up in disguise but if you run into the captain it will blow your cover...

Funny how a glorified guard who is "busy" with a wench can spot a level 20 Rogue with four ranks in stealth... :rolleyes:

9. CelticDream

Media:
    Tell me about it :lol:

10. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Excellent. I'm hoping to be able to play tonight. When I'm done the carpets and drapes are going to be beyond repair. Pity the poor maids who will be tasked with cleaning up my rampage.

If I understand the story correctly, I think this makes sense as isn't this supposed to be the home of the guy who betrayed the Cousland's?

11. CelticDream

Media:
    Well it became his home after he was awarded it by Loghain. Previously, if you've ever played a City Elf, it was the home of Arl Urien of Denerim and his son Vaughan Kendell.

12. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I was correct. The new owner of the home is the guy who betrayed the Cousland's in the human noble origin. It felt right to run amok.

For the record according to the Prima Guide if you manage to not kill anyone on the main level by using the disguise and stealth you get additional experience. Of course, I don't know if it is more then you would get by just killing everyone (which I did).

I'm curious, is it even possible to beat Ser Cauthrien? I know her troops killed me, Wynne, Morrigan, and Lelaina almost immediatly. Next thing I know I'm in a dungeon, but now is a good time to go to bed so I'll have to try to escape some other time.

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yes, in fact it's quite easy to kill her if you don't try the frontal assault and retreat instead. Then it's just her and maybe one other guy. Then mop up the rest of the main entrance room after she's dead. No problem. Neither time I've played that part did I allow myself to be captured.

14. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Only killed her once like that myself - usually I don't fight her there - not comfortable with slaughtering people acting out of misguided loyalties.

Besides, having the Mabari run the rescue party (in a way) is fun.

Plus,not fighting (or just not killing ?) Ser Cauthrien at all gives you the option of persuading her (at Landsmeet) to side with you and not Loghain, which gets bonus irony points in my book.

15. Caradhras

Media:
    It's possible but it's probably one of the hardest fights in the game if you don't use the trick BTA posted.

I like her sword (a pity it's a bit late in the game to get it).

16. CelticDream

Media:
    The few times I've been captured, I've always escaped... never tried having an escape party come after me. Might have to do that one of these times!

17. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

The one time I allowed them to capture me I escaped. I wonder if it has to do with the PC class. The class I had at that time was a rogue.

If the class does not matter; than a rescue party is going to be used next.

18. CelticDream

Media:
    Class doesn't matter - when you are captured, Anora and one of your party members goes to Eamon and tells him of your capture. Later on, when you're in the cell with Alistair, you can choose whether to escape or wait to be rescued (something like "I'm sure they'll send a rescue party after us" or whatever).

19. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    OK, next question. I'm in the alienage and I ran into a girl named Amethyne. I think she has something to do with my origin as a human noble, but I can't seem to get her to do anything. She complains about missing her mother. Is there anything I'm supposed to do? Is she a part of a different origin/quest which I don't have?

20. CelticDream

Media:
    If it's the little girl sitting by a pool of water near the gate, I don't think there's anything you can do with her. I've talked to her and all I've gotten out of her is that she's bored and has no one to play with. I believe she is the daughter of Iona, from the human noble origins. All I could find was this on the Dragon Age Wiki site:

Iona is a City Elf from the Elven Alienage in Denerim who was elevated to the position of lady-in-waiting by Lady Landra, wife of Bann Loren, for her family's many years of loyal service. Described as being sweet, shy, and demure, she is present at Castle Cousland in Highever with Lady Landra and Dairren in the Human Noble Origin story.

She also has a daughter named Amethyne whom she refers to as "my life" and whose father passed away from a wasting disease 2 years before. Amethyne has her mother's eyes and it is said by many that she looks a great deal like her mother. Lady Landra's manor isn't large enough to accommodate Amethyne, so she must live at the Denerim alienage where she has the opportunity to learn what it means to be elven.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.