1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Snook's stupid questions thread- spoilers inside

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by The Great Snook, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

My first run through the game I only had 1 injury and it was to Alister. That was when only non-mages fall asleep at the tent in the B. Woods. Of course I was playing the game on easy.

I know only play on Normal with the consoles; hard and nighmare are great if you have the time to play with and use the tatics, etc...

2. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Later in the game the quick bar on the PC is not enough to get all the abilities to show up so I guess it can be pretty annoying on a console.

The funny thing is I got the Achievement for not dying with my second character on Hard and Nightmare (by the end of the game), what's so funny is that this character was a Dwarf Warrior who didn't wear armours (only gauntlets and boots). That was hilarious.

3. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I think I would find this limitation completely unbearable. I'm already grumpy that I don't have more quick slots available on the PC. Just another reason for me to continue avoiding consoles.

4. Caradhras

Media:
    Actually Marceror if you find the quickbar unbearable on the PC there is a mod you may want to check out: Advanced Quickbar. I haven't tested it yet so I can't vouch for it but it has 58 endorsements so it probably works. Should you decide to test it let me know how it goes so I'll be able to update the mod list.

5. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Thanks for the the tip Caradhras. The quick bar is fine during the Origins game, but simply doesn't cut it during Awakening, where not only do I have 4 extra slots taken up for stamina potions, but way too many skills/spells. I'll definitely give this mod a look once I'm nearing the end of my current Origins runthrough.

6. Caradhras

Media:
    I never put potions in my quickbar and I don't play mages as my main so I don't mind that much (I just take away the stuff that I never use) but I reckon that with a high level mage one quick bar is not enough.

7. CelticDream

CelticDream I play well with others... others, not you Veteran

Media:
    This might sound like a completely dumb question, but it's something I figured out after messing around, but have you tried pulling at the end of your quickbar (on the PC) and stretching it out? It ends up filling the whole bottom area of the screen from left to right. Be nice if it stretched upwards too, but I've found, when playing both Origins & Awakening, I have more than enough spots for all my abilities and needs.

8. Marceror

Media:
    The first thing I do when I start a new game is stretch that sucker as far to the right as it will go. ;)

I reserve particular parts of the bar for different kinds of abilities, potions, etc, so as my characters level up there is a logical arrangement in place that will work over the course of the game (until I get to Awakening, that is, when the bar gets full, full, full).

9. CelticDream

Media:
    Just tested the mod that Cara linked and it works great! Just make sure, once you install it, that you go into your skill menu to activate it. It's all the way down at the bottom of the skill screen - just put the two arrows on your quick bar and it'll scroll through 4 bars of anything and everything you want to put down there.

10. Caradhras

Media:
    Same here.

Good to know, I'll have to check it out when I resume playing DAO.

11. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Oh wow, I never knew that! I played a mage PC so ended up running out of slots. Thanks for the tip!

12. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Heh, I'd learned about it by accident, in frustration.

"Why aren't there more slots?" *pulls at the bar with the mouse, annoyed and more slots are revealed.* "Oh." *embarrased* "...Intuitive."

13. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

On consoles for DAO to pause the game and to target a specific enemy you press one button that opens up the game radial menu and the enemy target selector. It is quite interesting how it is implemented on consoles. From there you can select sustained or activate talents/spells list, potions, traps, etc.

Like I said if you swap your weapon you have 6 more slots to use and that is why I don’t mind it all that much. Also, throughout the game most players use the same talents/spells over and over.

On consoles if you play anything harder than normal you would be using the radial button quite often for tactical planning.

14. CelticDream

Media:
    Ok, now I don't feel like such a nub... that's how I figured it out as well!

15. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm playing a sword and shield warrior and I'm currently using the Topsider sword which I enhanced with a couple of runes. I'm loving it. However, when cleaning out my inventory, I discovered that I still have the Topsider hilt, pommell, and blade under quest items. Is this a glitch or am I supposed to still have them. I forgot to check and see if I could sell them.

16. Caradhras

Media:
    Weird. They should be quest items and as such they can't be sold.

I'm currently trying the unofficial patch, it fixes so many issues that have been introduced by patch 1.03 but I don't remember seeing that bug mentioned. By the way you didn't upgrade to 1.03? If you haven't yet and don't plan on playing Awakening don't.

17. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm going to finish origins first and then I will probably buy Awakenings and upgrade.

I haven't tried to sell the parts. I'm going to have to see what happens this weekend. If I don't need them. I wonder if I can destroy them. I hate to waste three inventory spots. :)

18. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Quest items don't count against the inventory limit so you don't have to do anything about the parts. :)

The parts didn't get removed for me either (I think it's a known bug) - it shouldn't break anything though - they'll just stay there.

19. Caradhras

Media:
    I haven't checked in an old savegame but Lore is right and it shouldn't break anything.

I'll probably have tested the unofficial fix pack then and I'll update the mod list if it doesn't break anything (from what I've seen so far it shouldn't). Hopefully this mod will fix some patch 1.03 related bugs (still better than waiting for an official fix).

20. CelticDream

Media:
    Where did you find out about the beta patch and how do we go about picking it up to see if it fixed things or made them worse?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.