1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Snook's stupid questions thread- spoilers inside

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by The Great Snook, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Sorry, what I've posted may sound misleading. You only need one and that is if you opt to give it away to the kid in the Dalish camp (forgot his name). Otherwise sell them.

2. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

What do you get in return besides experience points?

3. Caradhras

Media:
    That's just to complete the quest, you can use persuade instead.

4. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    The book reward can be used for trading the Mad Hermit with. I usually trade it + Deygan's Boots for the hermit's elven helm (+25 spirit resist) and book (codex entry). I kind of like Varathorn's Amulet and the Dusk Ring so I'm not giving up those, and depending on my main character I usually don't trade away Danyla's Scarf. You can't get the Halla amulet if you don't have someone with Survival. Finally I prefer getting the book behind Lanaya only when Zathrian is gone (its the lyrics to the game's theme song, btw).

5. Caradhras

Media:
    Your main character needs ranks in survival to complete this quest.

6. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Now that my busy season is over I'm back to playing :)

I have a question about finishing moves. I'm playing a warrior and I noticed when I killed Flemeth and when I killed an Ogre in a random map encounter that my character went beserk with the finishing move. With Flemeth he jumped on her neck and basically tried to decapitate her. With the Ogre he also did some sort of crazy finishing move. Are these pre-planned in the game to go with the warrior or did I happen to do something to trigger them. They were really cool (I say in a bloodthirsty way).

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I believe the finishing moves happen with any monster if you kill them with a critical hit. What the move is depends on the monster and I think the class and what weapons are equipped for the character doing the killing. I've seen my rogues and Alister jumping up on Ogres to finish them off and I get a kick out of it every time. :)

8. Caradhras

Media:
    It happens with melee weapons, the effect where you decapitate an enemy for instance is just an example (the finishing moves differ depending on the weapon style).

The Ogre finishing move happens with criticals and bosses (for instance Dragons or the Ogre in the Tower of Ishal always end up that way).

Mages (and Archers) don't get this added coolness (except for Arcane Warriors obviously).

Weapons that have a Messy Kill effect get more of these (there is also a mod to make them happen more frequently) but there is a major downside to this, while your character execute this move he or she can't do any other action (like gulping down a poultice) but still takes damage from enemies. I actually had a character die right after finishing an ogre... Embarrassing (as Yoshi used to say). :p

9. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Or a high enough persuade; I completed this quest with my rogue and I didn't have a single point in survival.

10. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    The Halla quest goes differently with Persuade then it does with Survival. You need Survival to get it done the honest way (no amulet reward).
    Persuade nets you the amulet.

11. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Not true; if you have 2 or more ranks in Survival you also get the amulet.

12. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Are we talking about the same thing?

Elora's halla? Halla Horn amulet.

The Halla needs to die for you to get the horns to make the amulet.

With Survival, you can calm the creature, Elora examines it and it's not sick, therefore no horns and no amulet for the Warden. That's the honest way of doing it.

Done this twice already. No amulet.

If you lie and say the halla is sick and pass persuasion, then the halla gets killed and you get the antlers -> amulet.

Caradhras likes this.
  13. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Don't you get a different award if you save the Halla? I thought you got something regardless if the Halla dies or if it life is spared.

14. Caradhras

Media:
    No, Lore is right, you only get some XP and Elora's approval if you do it the "right" way.

You have to bring the antlers to Varathorn to get the Halla Horn (+10 Mental Resistance).

15. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm in Orzammar and I just won the proving grounds, and then I went back for more for some "extra fights". Now I just noticed that my party is injured. Is there a way to cure injuries other then a kit or going to camp? You would think there would be a cleric somewhere or that at the very least Wynne could take care of it. I hate seeing my party walking around with concussions, torn jugulars, etc. Is it possible to leave and go to camp and come back (although that seems like a waste of time)?

16. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Actually Wynne can take care of it, if you've levelled her as a spirit healer that is and taken This spell. Other than that, only going to camp or taking some injury kits will fix your injuries.

I can't see why you shouldn't be able to go to camp and come back?

17. Caradhras

Media:
    When you are allowed to go to the Deep Roads you can leave for the camp from the guarded exit in Orzammar without going through the Hall of Heroes (although I'd suggest going this way at least once with Oghren in the party to trigger his surface dialogue).

18. CelticDream

CelticDream I play well with others... others, not you Veteran

Media:
    I love his surface dialogue... it isn't much but it's kinda cute.

19. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm almost ashamed to ask this question, as I've been playing this game for months now (although I still haven't finished it yet). Is there a way to drop stuff from your inventory? Whenever I'm full I always end up destroying things to make room, and that just seems wrong for some reason.

20. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Not to my knowledge no. Have you considered using a mod like Bag of Holding, or using the toolset to increase your inventory capacity?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.