1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Snook's stupid questions thread- spoilers inside

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by The Great Snook, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

You can easily kill two monsters at once simply by lowering the HP of two monsters enough so that one attack would kill them.

The amulet provides no protect what so ever on the PS3 - it is free gold.

The belt is ok. The helment is the best item of the three and I typically give it to the tank.

I forgot I did actually complete DAJourney and got all three items.

2. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yes, I finally was able to do it. For those who are following me, in order to do it, I believe you have to play as a mage and when you hit level 4 you have to be able to take the second power in the lightning path. It has the able to hit more than one person.

Also to beat the Ogre without taking any damage, I recommend not killing the Ogre in the level where you save Martine. That is because that Ogre is by itself. I then whacked him down pretty far, and then had everyone who was damaged run away while drinking potions. Once everyone was at full strength a quick lightning bolt ended the fight.

One quick observation, that I've found in the game is if you run into something that seems really hard, sometimes changing your party will fix it. I ran into a "world map" encounter with some assassins (who were trying to sell me a book), a wagon, and a mage on top of a hill. My party of me (tank), Morrigan, Wynne, and Leilana were getting wasted every time. I swapped out the party for Alistair, Sten, and my puppy. I was able to level up the pup, give him a collar and some racing stripes. He was able to run up that hill so damn fast and I swear he bit the head off of the mage (at least it seemed like he did). I really wish I had video of that encounter.

3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    OK, next question.

Can you not have more than one enchantment going at a time. I have Morrigan set to cast Frost weapons and I just got telekinetic weapons so I wanted her to to cast that also. Instead it looks like she drained her mana flipping back and forth. Which one is better?

Also, I'm in Redcliffe and I am at the point where I have to decide what to do with Connor. I'm not a mage so I can't go into the fade, but I guess I could send Morrigan. It has been a while since I've been torn about what to do in a game. I can't imagine letting his mother sacrifice herself to save him, I'm leaning towards running to the circle for help.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  4. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    You can have more than one enchantment from multiple mages, but a single mage can only maintain one (cold/fire/telekinetic) at a time.
    Cold/Fire Weapons is best for general combat, but against bosses or mobs with high armor (you'll notice as soon as your warriors/rogues do significantly less physical damage than normal) Telekinetic Weapons is superior.
    Mobs/Bosses with high armor includes armored undead, templars, dragons.

For some reason you can leave Redcliffe at this point and return with everything remaining the same as when you left it. Just don't go to Connor's room or you'll be forced to kill him, IIRC.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, go to the Circle Tower. And take your time about it too :lol:

I even looted the rest of the castle before I left :)

6. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    That's a major flaw in the game but it is to be expected since the game does not track time like BG did.

In that case it makes the whole Connor thing a joke as unless it's your first playthrough you don't have any reason not to save him. Unless you're RPing and don't care about Alistair's approval. It's really sad because the game really makes you feel bad about sacrificing Isolde or Connor if you go down that path. There should have been other consequences for going away to seek help from the Circle Tower (if that meant getting everybody in Redcliffe killed it would be a more difficult option).

7. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    True. The game doesn't track time, although talking with NPC's gives you an idea of how long it has been since you started the game (if you're a mage and you get Wynne she'll comment that it has been a year since you left the tower, for example).
    The flaw above is weird and exploitable, but I've always chosen to sacrifice Isolde because from my PC's point of view there was just no other alternative. The tower is just too far.
    I guess you can RP an "ideal" good PC out of this if you had earlier forced Jowan to flee. You'd have no other alternative but to get help from the mage tower, and, miraculously, nothing happens to Redcliffe while you're gone.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  8. Caradhras

Media:
    But we lose the ambiguity in this (seemingly) highly difficult moral choice.

Sacrificing Isolde is a very difficult choice to make since there is no guarantee and since it really works if you're playing a Mage (otherwise you don't have so many reasons to trust Jowan).

In my first playthrough I played a decent character who had a really hard time deciding what to do. Trusting Jowan was not an option for him as he was very wary of taking such a shortcut and didn't believe that Morrigan could be trusted to do the right thing or would be willing to risk her life given that she previously remonstrated about helping out the people of Redcliffe. My character thought that time was of the essence and that going to the Mages wouldn't help because he already knew that the Tower was closed and that the Mages had been trapped. There was no other solution left for him but to deal with Connor and that was a really tough decision to make. Alistair's reaction only made him feel even worse and lead to some estrangement between them although he remained in the party and eventually became king, they were no longer friends because my character's decision meant that Isolde had to kill her own child and no matter how bad the situation in Redcliffe was that is something that my character felt responsible for.

What could be the most dramatic and most difficult choice in the entire game in cheapened by the existence of an easy way out. That's pretty bad actually. At least my first character got some depth from making that (bad) decision and having to learn to live with his guilt. It taught him that there is no choice without consequences.

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My point of view was that it took a while for things to get that bad, and I'd just cleared out all the baddies, so I could make a quick trip to the Circle Tower to get help. Little did I know what a mess the Tower would be when I got there! :)

10. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I did the tower first, so that is making my decision easier.

11. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    That depends on you. :p Weird how a desire demon could be that powerful.

@Caradhas
    Yes, I forgot to mention that almost all my characters are mages. So yeah, I know Jowan can be trusted.
    Male PC mages would know Jowan as someone who's just bad at making decisions. A female PC mage would actually be sympathetic to Jowan, since he has always treated her as his little sister.

12. Caradhras

Media:
    I'm the opposite, I've played the Mage origin three times but got bored in Ostagar. Still, I've figured that much about Jowan.

You should try a Rogue some day (and I should definitely finish a game with a Mage).

13. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

You should play a mage and not bring Wynne or Morrigan along.

14. Caradhras

Media:
    I've been playing the game without any mages, it's actually more interesting to me that way. I will probably take Morrigan in my next game just to have some fun with shapeshifting (Scythesong's posts kindled my interest).

15. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Next question. How do I set a tactic so Wynne will revive dead characters. I'm sure it is easy, but it eluding me. I'm looking under Ally\Status and I can't figure out which one is for knocked out/dead characters.

Also do the trade manifests and private documents serve any purpose or are they just stuff to sell?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  16. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm pretty sure the trade manifests and private documents are just to be sold. The description indicates that these are items that merchants would have interest in purchasing. If they were quest related, they would not be stored in your general inventory.

17. Caradhras

Media:
    Some items that are listed in the general inventory can be quest related. Like wolk pelts for instance. Still, I don't know what these documents are for or if they have a use in game (if they do I haven't found it yet).

18. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Marceror is correct- the documents serve no in-game purpose other than being a source of income. Sell 'em.

19. Caradhras

Media:
    I've been thinking about the tactic thing and I can't think of a way to implement the reviving thing. I've probably not tried hard enough. Since it doesn't happen all that frequently you'd be better off doing it manually. Setting Wynne's tactics so she uses her different healing spells when the most powerful spell is cooling down should help avoiding the untimely demise of party members.

20. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

What do you do with the wolf pelts. Seriously I didn't know you could do anything with them. I usually sold them.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.