1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Snook's stupid questions thread- spoilers inside

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by The Great Snook, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    How did you do Urn of Sacred Ashes before Redcliffe?
    I thought you had to finish Redcliffe to officially pick up the trail?

2. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Next question. I found the button to change your party. Does that work everywhere? I'm doing the Wizard Tower first and I'm still at the docks and it appears to let me change my party. This would make things much simpler then having to run to camp whenever I needed to swap someone out.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It doesn't work everywhere; it apparently has to be a "safe" place, but knowing what places are "safe" is apparently not intuitive.

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't think it's "safe" spot, so much as an "accessible" one.

For example: at the docks, you could conceivably step outside of town, make camp and switch people out. Once you enter the Mage Tower, though, you're locked in and therefore must venture forth with the posse you've got. Other areas, like deep in the Bracelian forest, you're too far from camp, so you'll need to backtrack a bit in order to regroup (which seems more reasonable and realistic to me). There are no cell phones in Ferelden, after all. And even if there were, the service in the Deep Roads would be terrible. The Verizon "can you hear me now?" guy was eaten by giant spiders. :)

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    That knight in the Lothering chantry mentions the quest. You get a real clue in Denerim, when you go into Genitivi's house and look around (like for loot - that's why I went there) a tad too persistent. After you then went to the inn at Lake Calenhad the village of Haven certainly is accessible when you leave. Once you're there, things just appear to fall into place.
    At least that's how I recall it. I certainly did it before Redcliffe.

6. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    It's pretty odd and generally seems rather inconsistent. It is possible to change companions inside the Circle Tower, after the locking of the door in the area you meet Wynne. Yet it doesn't like you changing at the docks. You'd think that beside the lake is more accessible than beyond a locked and guarded tower inside the Tower.

Generally, Snook, I'd just assume that you are playing with the team you pick when leaving camp- you may get options to change, but you can't rely on one appearing.

7. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Until recently I didn't know you could change the group other than when a new member is added or at camp. With this new discovery it makes the game a lot better for me as I am able to modify the group for situations as needed.

As for playthrough and location this is what I decided I will do on all my playthrough as the game flows nicely with it...

Origin
    Ostagar
    Flemeth Hut - even though there is not much to do
    Lothering
    Shale Quest
    Red Cliffe Village
    Red Cliffe Castle
    Circle Tower
    Save the Earl
    Back to Flemeth Hut - never kill her as she did rescue the PC and Alister
    Scared Urn Quest
    Warden's Keep
    Dalish Elves
    Ozzamar
    Denerium
    etc...

Right now I'm playing a dwarf noble warrior. My character is taking abilities with both two handed weapons and bows. He may specialized as a Beserker but that is it. He will side with Lord Harromont in Ozzamar (since Behlen betrayed him) and will side with the Werewolf instead of freeing them from their enslavement since the elf is doing an evil act.

I wonder how good the werewolfs compared to the elf's?

I have a question for those who played the game and gave items to the groups you acquire. What does giving items or gold for that matter do? Does it make the acquired groups more powerful or does it give the PC more XP? The manual mentions nothing about this in the game and I never paid attention to my PC XP after giving items/gold to the various groups.

8. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Dragon Age is one of those games where a lot of things are both "bad" and "good" (or grey, as some people put it), depending on your perspective. Without Coercion though you can't take most of the "grey" choices.
    I haven't sided with the werewolves because all my characters have Coercion. :) I do know that the elves die very quickly in melee, while the werewolves you fight seem to be pretty good in melee. I guess it depends on what type of warriors your party works best with.

You get XP for giving them items, although I don't know how much exactly. I've read about some people who claimed that you can get a lot levels by giving away all your stuff to the armies before the final battle, but I mostly sell my extra stuff to buy expensive items so I've never really abused this.
    I've never really noticed any change on the armies, if you give them a lot of materials.

This should help you though. Just read it myself. It's not complete and I wouldn't trust everything in it, but some of the info can be useful. I'm also interested If anyone who has ever really donated everything they had to the emissaries noticed anything.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  9. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I don't really understand the table you linked to on the wiki. What do Max Count and Max Level mean? Is Max Count the maximum number of that item that you can place? I'm guessing not (it doesn't make sense to have a max count for the golems if they take no items)

10. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Max count is the number of allies and max level probably their levels so if you can summon only 4 golems you can summon 50 Dalish elves.

I had a lot of items stashed in my first run so I got enough XP to level up my character by giving resources.

The werewolves are pretty badass but I doubt that it would be the "right" way to deal with the problem, IMO
    curing the werewolves and convincing the elder that he's been wrong is the "right" way.

Coercion is nice but I don't give ranks to every main character I've created as I like exploring different paths.

11. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    I don't always use persuade/intimidate you know, because I too prefer to explore different paths. But I always take it for the useful extra rewards, and because I never play an "evil" character or a "good" character. I always play a mix of both, some with more complicated goals than others. I just think it's weird not to be able to choose the "correct" response in a dialogue when none of the available ones work for you.

You must be a bigger pack rat than I am then. And my inventory is almost always full, but some of the best items in the game are just so expensive.

12. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Thanks! that makes much more sense. I don't think I donated anything on my first run, I may need to experiment on future ones.

13. Caradhras

Media:
    Playing as a selfish bastard with a bad attitude is incredibly fun. The evil but incredibly frank and obnoxious route is also quite enjoyable.

I don't know about that but I did try not to miss too many things on my first playthrough. The fact that I'm still finding out new stuff in the game means that I haven't been as thorough as I wanted.

14. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I always gave alway all the items to the various fractions. The dwarves ended up with all of the gems and I used them for most of the final battles. That group lasted until I reached the arch demon and at that point I called for the elves who also received all of the items they required. The elves seemed to take less damage and vanish quicker.

I think this time around I'm not going to give anything away. I would rather sell the stuff and buy better equipment.

As for having Golems in your group - I imagine that you get this option if you side with Blanca and let her stay with the forge without try to convience her to destroy it, etc...

15. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    OK, next question, although this doesn't exactly concern the game.

I signed up for the Bioware Social Network thing and I can't figure out if I've done something wrong of if the thing just sucks. It doesn't seem to be updating my stats/quests/screenshots etc. It did for a bit as I think it says I am level 7, but I'm now level 8. Do I need to hit something to upload my stats to the site?

16. Caradhras

Media:
    Nope. It's just a very very useless thing IMO. It's meant to share your playthrough with your friends online so they can see what gear you have or what story parts you've completed but it's pretty useless and the updates don't work that well. The only moment you really need to log in anyway is when you want to download a DLC. Other than that there isn't much point.

You can decide in the game configuration options whether or not you want to upload your screenshots and remove them from your game folder (by default it's on).

17. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I don't usee the website myself other than the free items you can get and to make sure I don't have to spend additional money on the DLC I already paid for previously.

For those of you who don't know play DA:Journey for some free gear.

18. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Wow, I had no idea. I will have to check out DA:Journey (especially if I can play at work :) )

19. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I completed only the first accomplishment in DA:Journey. I got bored with it as I had DAO to play and the items don't seem all that great.

20. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I just finished DA:Journey and it was a lot of fun. Has anyone figured out how to get the last free item? I can't figure out how to kill two things at once (wait, maybe I need a mage, but I don't think I got high enough in levels to get fireball or chain lightning). I also couldn't kill an ogre without anyone taking any damage (or maybe the key is to get some healing before the final blow).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.