1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Slavery and Coco... --Help with an assignment--

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Kitrax, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

:confused:
    Dare I even ask what this would entail?

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I find it hard to believe that so many of you guys don't eat *any* products from Mars, Nestle, or Hershey.

Let me enlighten you: (I spoiler tagged them because listing all three companies' products would have made for a very long post)

Mars:

3 Musketeers
    CocoaVia
    Combos
    Dove Chocolate
    Fling
    Flyte
    Galaxy (alternative for the Dove range used in the UK, Ireland, Australia and the Middle East)
    Kudos
    M&M's
    Maltesers
    Marathon (UK name for Snickers until it was renamed in 1990)
    Mars Bar
    Mars Delight
    Mars Planets
    M-Azing
    Milky Way
    Minstrels
    Nutro
    Revels
    Schmackos
    Snickers Marathon Energy Bar
    Snickers
    Spillers
    Summit Candy Bar
    Teasers
    Twix
    Hershey's:
    The 5th Avenue candy bar
    Almond Joy and Mounds candy bars
    Bar None
    Cadbury Creme Eggs
    Cherry Blossom
    Glosette(s) (a Canada exclusive)
    Heath bar
    Hershey's Bites
    Hershey's Bliss
    Hershey's Cookies and Cream
    Hershey's Milkshake
    Hershey's Symphony bar
    Hershey's Pot of Gold (premium boxed chocolates in a variety of assortments)
    Hershey's Sticks
    Hershey's Kisses
    Kit Kat
    Krackel
    Milk Duds
    Mr. Goodbar
    Oh Henry!
    Hershey's Pops
    Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (also includes any Reese’s sub-product)
    Rolo
    Skor
    Swoops
    Hershey's S'mores
    Hershey's Shell Topping
    Take 5 (known as Max 5 in Canada)
    WHATCHAMACALLIT
    Whoppers
    York Peppermint Pattie
    Nestlé:
    100 Grand Bar
    Aero
    After Eight
    Allens
    Animal Bar
    Baby Ruth
    Bertie Beetle (Australia)
    Big Turk (Canada)
    Black Magic
    Blue Riband
    Bono(Brazil)
    Breakaway
    Butterfinger
    Bon Pari (Czech Republic, Poland and Hungary)
    Cailler
    Capri (Chile)
    Caramac
    Carlos V
    Charge (Brazil)
    Chips Ahoy! (Canada)
    Chocolate Surpresa (Brazil)
    Chokito (Brazil)
    Coffee Crisp (Canada)
    Chunky
    D'Onofrio (Peru)
    Damak (Turkey)
    Drifter
    Frigor
    Galak/Milkybar
    Heaven
    JOJO (Czech Republic and Poland)
    Icebreakers
    Kit Kat(INDIA)(except the United States where Hershey's makes it)
    Lion
    Matchmakers
    Milky Bar
    Minties (Australia)
    Mirage
    Joff
    Munchies
    Negrita (Chile)
    Nestlé Alpine White
    Nestlé with Almonds
    Nestlé Crunch
    Nestlé Milk Chocolate
    Nestlé Princessa
    Nestlé Wonder Ball
    Nestlé Yes (Germany)
    Nips
    Nuts (Europe)
    Oh Henry (except Canada)
    Orion (chocolate) (Czech Republic)
    Peppermint Crisp
    Perugina Baci
    Polo
    Prestigio (Chile,Brazil)
    Quality Street
    Rolo (except the United States where Hershey makes it)
    Rowntrees
    Sahne Nuss (Chile)
    Sensação (Brazil)
    Snowcaps
    Smarties
    Suflair (Brazil)
    Super 8 (Chile)
    Susy (Venezuela)
    Texan Bar
    Toffee Crisp
    Toll House cookies
    Trencito (Chile)
    Turtles
    Walnut Whip
    Violet Crumble
    Yorkie

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've eaten a Susy before ... or was it Susie....

4. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    The only products from this list I've eaten in the last decade are M&Ms, Twix bars and Frigor chocolate. I haven't eaten any of these recently though. The last time I had some Milky Way was probably more than twenty years ago.

I usually eat Toblerone and Lindt chocolate (and some other less known Swiss brands) but I didn't find them on your list.

I don't eat chocolate on a very regular basis though.

Who hasn't? :lol:

5. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I occasionally have some M&Ms, usually peanut, but that's it. For everything else I like, there's either better chocolate than these or equivalent chocolate at a cheaper price. Ghirardelli fills most of my chocolate needs, and an odd russian company called Korkunov/Kirkorov (or something) has the best dark chocolate I've ever had.

Blades of Vanatar likes this.
  6. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Also, Nestle:

Gerber (baby foods)
    Perrier (bottled water)
    Coffee (Nescafe)
    Coffee Mate
    Nestle and Haagen-Daz (ice cream)
    Purina (pet foods, which includes the Purina Dog Chow and Friskies cat food branded products.

To name just a few of its products.

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    When I said I don't eat them, it means that they are not items I purchase now. When I was a kid, I certainly ate candy bars and M&Ms and the like. I just don't regularly buy any chocolate.

In addition, from Chandos' list, we did buy my son Gerber baby food before he got teeth, but he's 2 now, so he eats the same food we do.

So no, I don't eat any of those foods.

However, the larger point is, even if I did, I doubt I would change based on what I've read. I imagine that if I stopped buying things from companies which took actions I did not agree with, I imagine there would be very little indeed that I could purchase.

8. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Being vegan, avoiding those products is easy. I won't eat the vast majority of them, anyway, since most have some sort of animal product.

You do, however, bring into play a fundamental question. In today's global economy, does it really make sense to boycott an entire corporation's product line because it happens to produce one of its products in a manner you don't like? A lot of companies have introduced "fair trade," "environmentally friendly," and "cruelty free" versions of their products. Should we continue to punish these companies by refusing to buy these products, too, or should we show them that there is a market out there that is ready and willing to purchase these more expensive but less ethically questionable products?

On the one hand, there are companies that only produce, say, fair trade coffee or chocolate. These companies are usually smaller and have little real chance of building a strong national presence. The other option is a large, established company that produces scads of questionable products but has recently introduced some new lines following <insert ethical standard here>. These companies already have branding and a robust distribution network. If the new lines succeed, they will likely end up in every grocery store.

There's no easy answer. If the vast majority of people buying such products opt to go with the smaller and more specialized companies, large companies will likely stop reaching out to that demographic. On the flip side, if this demographic buys from the larger corporations, they are favoring big business over small business.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  9. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Mars is also well-known for its Uncle Ben's Rice brand of products. Which I like, since they have the boil-in-the-packets version of their rice. ATM, I have Nestle's Drumsticks in my freezer - assorted ice cream cones, which my two girls like. And I have two cats that like Frieskies brand dry food (but not the cans).

10. Drew

Media:
    A few Uncle Ben's products are vegan, but I wouldn't know which ones since I've never bought them. Any fool with a few bags of rice and some vegetable stock can make a pilaf. With a rice cooker, you just dump everything in, turn it on, and walk away. I've never seen the point of the instant stuff. It costs more and I spend the same amount of my time cooking it either way.

11. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Yes, if you like pilaf. I just like the rice plain with some butter (real butter) on it.

That would be me, since I'm the one who usually cooks it. :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  12. Drew

Media:
    That's even easier. Rice. Water. Rice Cooker. I assume you don't add the butter until after it's done. I know that's how I do it (with margarine).

13. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Use coconut milk and water.

14. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Ahem. Way, way, way off topic at this point. Rice cooking and recipes in general can be found in the Whatnots aisle of this particular supermarket.

Thank you very much for your patronage.

15. Kitrax

Media:
    True...

I removed many products from the list that I knew didn't have coco in them. These companies make products that are perfectly slave free. :thumb: My cat's love Friskies wet food...and since it doesn't have coco in it, I will continue to give them said wet food every Sunday....but only if they're good. ;)

16. Caradhras

Media:
    Do M&M's or Mars bars have coco in them?

If you start taking into account all the food products that these companies make that will only show that boycotting certain products is hardly an answer. Except of course if you can create a lobbying group large and strong enough to rally enough support so that these companies would notice.

Nestlé alone is a very big company that owns directly or indirectly numerous brands.

17. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    It depends on what your objective is. If the objective is to put the company out of business, to punish them for their actions, a boycott won't help much. If the objective is to show them that the American People aren't happy with X and want to see it change, a boycott of products involved in X may help, even if it's small.

18. Kitrax

Media:
    If it has chocolate in it or on it, it has coco.

19. Caradhras

Media:
    My mind must have reverted back to French at one point, see "coco" is for coconut in French and you are referring to coco, not cocoa. I did a quick search in my dictionary and I couldn't find any reference to chocolate in the coco entry which specifically refers to coconut palm and its fruit. It's a bit misleading. Is "coco" used to refer to cocoa in American English? :confused:

20. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No, it's cocoa in American English. Simple misspellings.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.