1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Size 12 too fat?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Cúchulainn, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Take a look at this.

I think that Jen Hunter :yum: looks much better than Marianne Berglund :sick:

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Wow she is fat, if she would ever take a nap on the beach, Greenpeace would pull her straight back into the sea :p

Edit
    @Half-lven Duergar, see the smilie? :p (Not that one, the other one)

[ February 07, 2007, 12:55: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

3. Half-elven Duergar Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Huh? Such a reply I'd expect from an anorexic... but Morgoth? :skeptic: . You like 'em skinny, eh?

If you ask me, Berglund looks a little too skinny to be wearing skin tight swimwear. IMHO, the bony protrusions are disgusting, something I'm not looking for in a woman. For goodness sake, her body looks like the body of an osteoporotic 80 year old woman.

What with the huge problem of anorexia nowadays, they still call that fat? This kind of mentality is the reason why teens (kids even) think skinny is good despite the dire consequences.

4. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

In my opinion they're both ugly. Or perhaps it's just the swimsuit on the upper model that doesn't cling to her upper body properly.

I like my girls thin (as in not fat), but not starving thin. I'd rather they be thin via exercise than exercising their gag reflex.

5. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Yes but do you consider Jen Hunter a size 12 to be 'too fat'?

6. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I wouldn't consider her fat, let alone too fat.

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    She's just right. I would love snuggling up to her. Hugging one Marianne Berglund will only get you bruised, with all these bones and sharp edges ...
    :outta:

8. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

Not at all. As others said, she is just right.

Miss Berglund on the other hand, looks like one which diet is coke and heroin. Eww....

9. Half-elven Duergar Gems: 4/31

I never doubted you for even a sec Morgoth, I meant it as a sarcastic joke, not a personal judgment :shake:

I mean, really, who would want to snuggle with a spiky pillow? You'd end up scratched, bruised, and mortally wounded just as Ragusa said.

10. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Oh dear... Berglund has something really weird inside that swimsuit... Just look at it, what ARE those lumps? No, not the breasts, those lower lumps...

11. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Jen Hunter looks utterly AMAZING. The other one, however... not so much.

The big controversy over here is about how Tyra Banks has gained weight since starting her talk show. She's 5'10" and 163 lbs - while this might keep her off the catwalk or fashion runway, she still has a body to die for. There's definitely something wrong with current standards if that kind of shape is considered "fat"

12. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Yeah there was nothing feminine about her body, she could easily pass for a young boy.

13. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Hmmm. *Eyes models*

No sale. She'd snap in half.

14. Half-elven Duergar Gems: 4/31

Maybe because she just sits there unlike the hyperactive Conan O'Brien :banana:

But seriously, I still think Tyra's looking hot, even if she allegedly took in 50 pounds. The producer is expecting too much from her, I think.

15. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

I am sure that Tyra is still much thinner than the people that criticize her.

I know a few fat guys that would refuse to go out with a female that is not skinny :rolleyes:

16. Half-elven Duergar Gems: 4/31

What is it with women anyway? They see skinny models, and T.V. icons, then they want to be skinny. Men on the other hand jug gallons and gallons of beer and care less if they get beer bellies. I see a lot of hunks on T.V., but I don't go to the point of trying to look like them. I eat, drink, gain a few pounds, exercise, lose a few pounds, and I'm ready to do it all over again, without puking everything I ate or drank. What's so hard about that?

17. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    It always leaves me in a silly situation when ladies are telling me they want to lose weight, and I really can't see where. My standard reply is 'you're kidding' and they are flattered, but unpersuaded.

And what should one say: 'About time! Your buns could use some exercise!' could easily trigger a chain of events and send one to hospital. So answering flattering is socially adequate and expected (and sensible), which is why it lacks credibility? My ex told me in cases like this my opinion doesn't count as I was biased because of loving her, or wanting to :skeptic: Makes sense :skeptic: A minefield :rolleyes:
    Just in case I'm missing something significant, I'd be happy if some fair Lady could translate for me :holy:

And these industry asses are making it all worse by producing role models that give people silly ideas.

18. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Well, as a fat female, way past the age where I would be a hottie even if skinny, I am always amused by the men who find women who look like pre-pubescent boys attractive. Something interesting there, considering how many men do.

Unrealistic body ideals aren't all that new but they are at last getting some serious attention.

I don't claim to be a healthy weight - but the poor underweight model in these pics is not a healthy weight, either.

And it's true that many (not all) men never much worry about weight or body shape and consider themselves attractive and sexy regardless. I wish more women would back off from the fashion bandwagon.

Me, I'm just looking for a decent looking business suit that fits me and has pockets in the skirt so I don't lock myself out of my office. Even geeky I refuse to wear my keys on one of those Slinky-shaped bracelets. :)

EDIT: Rereading topic title: short of terminal illness, I will never, ever be a size 12. I am too tall, for one thing. So you'll never get me to label a size 12 person as too fat.

19. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    There's a terrible dichotomy in fashion. On one hand, stick-thin models are held up as the ideal. It's gotten so bad that Italian authorities set a minimum BMI standard for models working the Milan shows, after one woman collapsed and died.

On the other hand, there's a growing problem of obesity. Clothing manufacturers are inflating sizes to shield women from the fact that they're getting fat. We're "supposed" to be thin, but we're not doing anything about it and we're in denial.

The other thing is, the right clothes can hide a lot. I know that I see bulges in the bathroom mirror that disappear when I get dressed, so when I tell people that I want to lose 15 pounds (to get into Tyra Banks' current range ;) ), they don't believe me. Maybe that's what your friends are actually saying? Maybe they're insecure and fishing for compliments? Or, maybe they're like an old friend of mine, a former marathon runner who was still as thin as a rail yet constantly talked about being fat and needing to lose weight. She really believed it, too. I've read that anorexics and bulemics also have this grossly skewed body image.

Brains are funny things.

@revmaf: I once overheard two women talking with a man, trying to explain sizing. All that came across was that they were completely appalled by the idea of being a size 10. :rolleyes: B!tches. And I'm tall too, but that has nothing to do with the size I wear. Moving up to a 16 wouldn't generate any extra length in the legs, it would only make the clothes fall off my size 10/12 hips. I long for the day when "Tall" departments are as numerous as "Petites". I love going into the "Petites" department of a store and asking where the equivalent "Talls" section is! Unfortunately, when a mainstream store HAS a "Talls" section, the selection is usually limited and ugly - seems that no one can be tall without also being fat.

[ February 07, 2007, 16:09: Message edited by: Rallymama ]

20. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, obviously Hunter looks much better and healthier than Berglund. Berglund in a bathing suit is similar to obese women in bathing suits: They really shouldn't wear those kind of clothes. I do agree that Hunter has 'stocky legs', though. Not that I care about that, though. I like my women with a healthy amount of bodyfat. Or, as someone once said: I like my women with curves, not angles!

I don't really understand why any model should be skinny like miss Berglund. My sister (who is studying at a fashion academy) has an interesting theory on this. It goes like this: Most men in the fashion world are gay, or, if they're not, they're in denial. Therefore, they want there models to look boyish: no breasts to speak of, no curvaceous bodies. It's an interesting theory, regardless of any truth behind it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.